You are not logged in.

#1 2014-07-18 10:23:45

mudri

~/.xinitrc not being run with GNOME

I installed GNOME in a fairly normal way, and it starts as soon as the boot sequence has finished, without manually typing `startx` or similar. I recently made the ~/.xinitrc file with this content:

#!/bin/sh
#
# ~/.xinitrc
#
# Executed by startx (run your window manager from here)

if [ -d /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d ]; then
  for f in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/*; do
    [ -x "$f" ] && . "$f"
  done
  unset f
fi

unclutter &

exec gnome-session
# exec startkde
# exec startxfce4
# ...or the Window Manager of your choice

However, this (notably the `unclutter &` line) doesn't seem to be run, and GNOME starts in the same was as it always did. I can't find any mention of this file in the startup scripts. Have I got to add it to /etc/gdm/Xsession or something?

I can go to a TTY and run `startx` from that. That gives me `unclutter` working as expected. I can also run `unclutter &` manually on the first DE, which works as expected.

#2 2014-07-18 10:28:17

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: ~/.xinitrc not being run with GNOME

So, presumably you start Gnome from GDM?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Gn … logging_in

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2014-07-18 13:58:14

mudri

I could use that, but isn't there a way that I could use the generic .xinitrc so that, if I ever change DEs, the new DE will still run unclutter?

#4 2014-07-18 14:54:31

mkoskar
Website

mudri wrote:

I could use that, but isn't there a way that I could use the generic .xinitrc so that, if I ever change DEs, the new DE will still run unclutter?

If you choose GDM you have to play it GDM-way.
.xinitrc or alike are meant to be started by xinit-like wrappers (e.g., startx).

GDM is actually starting .xsession script. So you should be able to make it work with:

ln -s ~/.xinitrc ~/.xsession

If I can recall correctly GDM will pass the name of the item which you have chosen in its GUI menu (e.g., default, fallback).
You have to understand (look it up) how it exactly works.
Probably best place to start looking is /etc/X11/Xsession.

Last edited by mkoskar (2014-07-18 14:55:28)

#5 2020-09-19 15:40:29

hopeseekr

I'm going to necro this thread because for YEARS I've tried to figure out how to get `rescuetime` started.

I kept messing with `~/.xinitrc` like everything, including this thread, told me to, to no avail.

Then I stumbled upon https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xprofile

It seems that sometime between 2014 and 2018 .xinitrc stopped working and it all moved to `.xprofile`, so just put your commands in there.

#6 2020-09-19 15:58:13

ewaller
Administrator

I am going to close this undead thread from six years ago because the original poster has been gone for six years.

Please open a new thread that you will own.  Link back to this one if you feel it is relevant.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer