Re: KF 5 & Plasma

hifi25nl wrote:
mcloaked wrote:
hifi25nl wrote:

1) Right mouse on the desktop unblock widgets
2) Click on bottom right "three lines" icon
3) Drag icon from Kickoff to taskbar

This must work!!

Widgets were already unblocked on my machine - I had to open the Kickoff before the "three lines" icon (that allows taskbar alterations), and have the icon of interest already displayed in kickoff before opening the "three lines" icon - then dragging the item to the desktop works fine but dragging to the taskbar does not place the icon on the taskbar.  Even without the three lines icon opened I can still drag application icons to the desktop but not the taskbar.

Hence I still cannot place an icon on the taskbar for launching an application.

Could you try the same with Kicker? In widgets there are two Applications Menu: Kickoff and Kicker.
Please check your packages: in my case I have installed kf5 kf5-aids plasma-next ***groups***

Thank you for highlighting that there are two different "K" menu systems which I had not appreciated at all!   I did some searching and found quite a useful page at http://netrunner-mag.com/introducing-plasma-5/

I clicked on the Kickoff and chose alternatives and then switched to the Kicker - and indeed from the Kicker you can choose to put icons on the panel. This works very nicely and I now prefer the Kicker to the original Kickoff that I had been using.

Now I can play with this and explore plasma next somewhat better.

Mike C

#302 2014-11-01 17:29:46

mcloaked

Does anyone know if there is a way to change the clock on the taskbar to display 12 hour time with am/pm in plasma next rather than a 24 hour clock?  In KDE4 in the regional settings there is a time and date section where the way in which the time is displayed can be customised. However in plasma next I haven't been able to find the equivalent settings.

Mike C

#303 2014-11-01 18:22:53

arojas
Developer

mcloaked wrote:

Does anyone know if there is a way to change the clock on the taskbar to display 12 hour time with am/pm in plasma next rather than a 24 hour clock?  In KDE4 in the regional settings there is a time and date section where the way in which the time is displayed can be customised. However in plasma next I haven't been able to find the equivalent settings.

There is also a "Regional settings - Formats" module in Plasma 5, although quite cumbersome. Under "time" you need to choose (after guessing) a locale that uses the 12hr format, eg. en_US.

#304 2014-11-01 21:01:06

mcloaked

arojas wrote:
mcloaked wrote:

There is also a "Regional settings - Formats" module in Plasma 5, although quite cumbersome. Under "time" you need to choose (after guessing) a locale that uses the 12hr format, eg. en_US.

If you choose a locale under time to make the clock artificially display 12hr format would this not then give an incorrect date for the switch from daylight saving to winter clock times?

Mike C

#305 2014-11-01 22:32:17

arojas
Developer

mcloaked wrote:

If you choose a locale under time to make the clock artificially display 12hr format would this not then give an incorrect date for the switch from daylight saving to winter clock times?

This doesn't change your timezone, only the date and time display settings.

#306 2014-11-02 09:57:55

mcloaked

arojas wrote:
mcloaked wrote:

This doesn't change your timezone, only the date and time display settings.

Thank you for explaining. Though it would be easier for the user to be able to explicitly just select a 12 hour clock display and maybe that will be coded in a future update.

Mike C

#307 2014-11-04 12:03:56

hifi25nl

I was checking applications frameworks packages from AUR.

These packages are working fine:
ark-frameworks-git
audiothumbs-frameworks-git
bluedevil-frameworks-git
kcalc-frameworks-git
kde-gtk-config-frameworks
kdeconnect-frameworks-git
kget-frameworks-git
ksnapshot-frameworks-git
libksane-frameworks-git
skanlite-frameworks-git
octopi-frameworks-git

Others, like k3b-frameworks-git, are giving an "Illegal Instruction" error message when launched.

For konsole-framework-git you can use this PKGBUILD (EDIT: changed git to git://anongit.kde.org/konsole where the crash on closing is fixed)

pkgname=konsole-frameworks-git
pkgver=r5469.948c7af
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="KDE's terminal emulator"
arch=('i686' 'x86_64')
url='https://projects.kde.org/projects/kde/applications/konsole'
license=('LGPL')
depends=('kdelibs4support' 'knotifyconfig' 'kpty')
makedepends=('extra-cmake-modules' 'git' 'kdoctools' 'python')
provides=('konsole')
conflicts=('kdebase-konsole' 'konsole')
source=('git://anongit.kde.org/konsole')
md5sums=('SKIP')

pkgver() {
  cd konsole
  printf "r%s.%s" "$(git rev-list --count HEAD)" "$(git rev-parse --short HEAD)"
}

prepare() {
  mkdir -p build
}

build() {
  cd build
  cmake ../konsole \
    -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release \
    -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr \
    -DLIB_INSTALL_DIR=lib \
    -DBUILD_TESTING=OFF \
    -DQT_PLUGIN_INSTALL_DIR=lib/qt/plugins
  make
}

package() {
  cd build
  make DESTDIR="${pkgdir}" install
} 

For Kate/Kwrite frameworks-git

pkgname=kate-frameworks-git
pkgver=r14855.6f6c082
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc='An advanced editor component which is used in numerous KDE applications requiring a text editing component'
arch=('i686' 'x86_64')
url='https://projects.kde.org/projects/kde/applications/kate'
license=('LGPL')
depends=('libgit2' 'kdelibs4support' 'kinit' 'knewstuff' 'ktexteditor' 'plasma-framework')
makedepends=('extra-cmake-modules' 'git' 'kdoctools' 'python')
provides=('kate')
conflicts=('kate' 'kdebase-kwrite' 'kdesdk-kate')
source=('git://anongit.kde.org/kate')
md5sums=('SKIP')

pkgver() {
  cd kate
  printf "r%s.%s" "$(git rev-list --count HEAD)" "$(git rev-parse --short HEAD)"
}

prepare() {
  mkdir -p build
}

build() {
  cd build
  cmake ../kate \
    -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release \
    -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr \
    -DLIB_INSTALL_DIR=lib \
    -DBUILD_TESTING=OFF \
    -DQT_PLUGIN_INSTALL_DIR=lib/qt/plugins
  make
}

package() {
  cd build
  make DESTDIR="${pkgdir}" install
} 

I would like to install dolphin also but the package in AUR is giving me an error about Kf5Konq. It seems that I need to install kio-git and reinstalling some Plasma 5 packages in extra. I think I will wait if I don't find another solution.

Last edited by hifi25nl (2014-11-04 18:44:58)

#308 2014-11-04 12:32:51

hifi25nl

I would add that konsole-frameworks-git is working, but there is a crash when closed.

--> fixed: see EDIT on the post above

Last edited by hifi25nl (2014-11-04 15:47:52)

#309 2014-11-04 15:24:49

mcloaked

On my machine currently with pure kf5/plasma next I get a crash whenever I launch "add widgets" - it recovers itself and the taskbar re-appears again and everything else works OK, but if I try to add widgets it crashes again so I can't add widgets until that is resolved.  I don't know if this is specific to my machine or if others have experienced similar.

Mike C

#310 2014-11-04 15:47:08

hifi25nl

I had the same problem but, from yesterday, magically all is fine...weather has changed...

#311 2014-11-07 15:36:46

f34_T

I'm just trying to install new kde from scratch. And as I understand correctly I need to install these packages: kf5, kf5-aids and plasma-next.
Actually I did it and I see there wasn't installed dolphin for instance and other apps. Do I need to install them manually or maybe just install kdebase package?

#312 2014-11-07 15:44:54

Scimmia
Fellow

They have not been released for KF5 yet. You can install the KDE4 versions in most cases, or you can build -git versions from the AUR.

#313 2014-11-07 20:51:07

haagch

Okay, this is not a rant against plasma5, this is a warning to those who consider trying it: Don't. It's not usable for now.

* when switching off screens or changing their orientation, plasmashell pretty much always segfaults. Multiple times. Sometimes it begins to segfault right at startup. Right now for example I can't start it at all. Unfortunately it's just like in kde 4's times where it took until 4.8 and later for plasma to stop segfaulting all the time.
* when changing resolution while kwin opengl compositing is on, the whole screen gets garbled until compositing is shut off and on again. There is weird flickering sometimes. Sometimes kwin crashes. Or the window manager does window manager actions like activating or resizing windows with an offset to the actual mouse pointer position. Also any display setting change takes multiple seconds and plasmashell/kwin flickers and misplaces elements multiple times before it finishes.
* Hotkeys. When defining custom hotkeys, some work, some don't. All of the hotkey groups except KMenuEdit vanished from the custom hotkey settings, but they are still in global hotkey settings. Some work, some don't.

It's not a beta yet, it's a tech preview. You can check it out to see what the kde team is doing, but I doubt you can use it productively yet.

Last edited by haagch (2014-11-07 20:51:53)

#314 2014-11-07 21:01:10

clfarron4
Website

haagch wrote:

[snip]

It's not a beta yet, it's a tech preview. You can check it out to see what the kde team is doing, but I doubt you can use it productively yet.

That, libraries are still being moved around everywhere and KDE Frameworks and KDE Applications 5 are still in the works!

To think, I had some one ask me when Linux Mint would be shipping KDE5 a couple of weeks ago...

Claire is fine.
Problems? I have dysgraphia, so clear and concise please.
My public GPG key for package signing
My x86_64 package repository

#315 2014-11-07 22:57:33

Ekaradon

I tried today to install plasma 5.1 alongside kde4. It gives me some errors complaining about kdebase-workspace. I did not paid attention because I read before it was not possible without the last git versions to get it both working together.
But then, when I started to launch sddm, I get some ugly login screen (probably default one). And when I tried to login, it just crash without doing anything.
If I try to login with failsafe mode, it just relaunch sddm.
Finally, I am thinking about two possibilities:
- I have some configuration file for kde4 which are unsupported on plasma
- I have missed some dependencies (I read several times things about plasma-desktop, but it seems old and no longer valid).

Do you have some clues? I was looking for startkde and it exists but I cannot launch it from shell (no virtual screen complain). I think that it is available only through KDM/SDDM thing.
I have been looking for logs on SDDM  but it gives me nothing. And I do not know where to look for plasma logs...

#316 2014-11-09 23:24:28

dejavu

Plasma Next works pretty well, though I have two problems:
1.) I can't add the "Icons-only Task Manager" to the panel.
2.) Breeze theme isn't applied to Skype. Do we need a package of breeze for 32 bit?

Any suggestions?

#317 2014-11-10 00:04:35

arojas
Developer

dejavu wrote:

I can't add the "Icons-only Task Manager" to the panel.

Right-click an empty space on the regular task manager, click "Alternatives" and choose the icons-only task manager.

#318 2014-11-12 16:15:44

revilo77

Can anyone using plasma-workspace 5.1.1 confirm, if keyboard shortcuts for switching activities works for him/her ?
For me they were not working in 5.1, in fact I cannot even change them (there's no settings available). Then I read at bugs.kde.org that there is a bug in khotkeys, which pretty much broke most of kb shortcuts (mostly those with Meta key kombination). That bug apparently got marked as solved with a fix merged into 5.1.1, but for me these shortcuts do not work still. It seems though, that the additional plugins for activities are not being loaded. If I run in terminal

kactivitymanagerd stop
kactivitymanagerd start

I get these errors:

org.kde.kactivities.activities: Starting the KDE Activity Manager daemon QDateTime("2014-11-12 17:10:58.248 CET Qt::LocalTime")
Trying to open ksycoca from "/home/oliver/.cache/ksycoca5"
org.kde.kactivities.application: [ FAILED ] loading:  "Virtual desktop switcher" "The shared library was not found."
org.kde.kactivities.application: [ FAILED ] loading:  "Activity Templates" "The shared library was not found."
org.kde.kactivities.application: [ FAILED ] loading:  "Share-Like-Connect" "The shared library was not found."
org.kde.kactivities.application: [ FAILED ] loading:  "Global Shortcuts" "The shared library was not found."
org.kde.kactivities.application: [ FAILED ] loading:  "Sqlite Feeder" "The shared library was not found."
Service started, version: 6.2.0

#319 2014-11-12 18:29:49

arojas
Developer

revilo77 wrote:

Can anyone using plasma-workspace 5.1.1 confirm, if keyboard shortcuts for switching activities works for him/her ?

Confirmed not working, reported upstream https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=340900 and to Arch for a temporary workaround https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/42763

#320 2014-11-12 19:07:20

sl1pkn07

Ark (framework), for the moment, can't open 7z and RAR, right?

└───╼  ark premium_hangar_actual.rar 
Trying to open ksycoca from "/home/sl1pkn07/.cache/ksycoca5"
KTempDir: Temporary directory created : "/tmp/arki06lKu/"
Setting action data "/home/sl1pkn07"
Find plugin offers for "/run/media/sl1pkn07/COSAS/premium_hangar_actual.rar" and mime ""
Detected MIME "application/x-rar"
Have 1 offers
Loading plugin "kerfuffle_clirar" for ("application/x-rar")
Invalid plugin factory for "kerfuffle_clirar"
Returning ("application/x-7z-compressed", "application/x-bzip", "application/zip", "application/x-zip-compressed", "application/x-tar", "application/x-compressed-tar", "application/x-bzip-compressed-tar", "application/x-xz-compressed-tar", "application/lha", "application/x-lha", "application/maclha", "application/x-lzma", "application/x-xz", "application/x-java-archive", "application/x-rar", "application/x-gzip")

Last edited by sl1pkn07 (2014-11-12 19:37:21)

#321 2014-11-12 20:40:53

revilo77

arojas wrote:
revilo77 wrote:

Confirmed not working, reported upstream https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=340900 and to Arch for a temporary workaround https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/42763

Thank you, rebuilding with the appropriate flag worked, activities plugins now work.

#322 2014-11-12 21:00:22

Trieforce

Ekaradon wrote:

But then, when I started to launch sddm, I get some ugly login screen (probably default one). And when I tried to login, it just crash without doing anything.

I have exactly the same problem, do not know where to look, also same behavior if i lunch kde4 from sddm.

UPDATE: in /var/log/sddm.log is something like "Display server stoped" "Recived signal SIGINT"

Last edited by Trieforce (2014-11-12 21:10:56)

#323 2014-11-13 00:09:51

hifi25nl

..But if you launch kde4 you have a mixed kde4/kf5. This is not possible, in sddm login you can have KDE4 or Plasma not both!

For the ugly interface install the breeze theme and in /etc/sddm.conf you must put "Current=breeze"
If you cannot login most probably the sddm.conf file is missing or is not configured fine. Here is my configuration:

[Autologin]
# Autologin again on session exit
Relogin=false

# Autologin session
Session=

# Autologin user
User=

[General]
# Halt command
HaltCommand=/usr/bin/systemctl poweroff

# Initial NumLock state
# Valid values: on|off|none
# If property is set to none, numlock won't be changed
Numlock=on

# Reboot command
RebootCommand=/usr/bin/systemctl reboot

[Theme]
# Current theme name
Current=breeze

# Cursor theme
CursorTheme=

# Face icon directory
# The files should be in username.face.icon format
FacesDir=/usr/share/sddm/faces

# Theme directory path
ThemeDir=/usr/share/sddm/themes

[Users]
# Default $PATH
DefaultPath=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin

# Hidden shells
# Users with these shells as their default won't be listed
HideShells=

# Hidden users
HideUsers=

# Maximum user id for displayed users
MaximumUid=65000

# Minimum user id for displayed users
MinimumUid=1000

# Remember the session of the last successfully logged in user
RememberLastSession=true

# Remember the last successfully logged in user
RememberLastUser=true

[XDisplay]
# Xsetup script path
# A script to execute when starting the display server
DisplayCommand=/usr/share/sddm/scripts/Xsetup

# Minimum VT
# The lowest virtual terminal number that will be used.
MinimumVT=1

# X server path
ServerPath=/usr/bin/X

# Xsession script path
# A script to execute when starting the desktop session
SessionCommand=/usr/share/sddm/scripts/Xsession

# Session description directory
SessionDir=/usr/share/xsessions

# Xauth path
XauthPath=/usr/bin/xauth

Last edited by hifi25nl (2014-11-13 00:10:37)

#324 2014-11-13 04:41:32

LucetLux

I'm experiencing quite an annoyance since I logged in today, I'm getting like 10 messages at all times telling me kwin_x11 keeps constantly crashing, even though everything is working just fine, I think I know why, I checked and there is an "active" kwin process that is the one actually doing the work, but for some reason kde feels like starting more instances of it, which of course keep crashing indefinitely , if I kill all other instances of the process it doesn't happen again, until I log out and log back in of course.
Any ideas as to why would this start happening all of a sudden ?

#325 2014-11-13 10:59:46

Trieforce

hifi25nl wrote:

..But if you launch kde4 you have a mixed kde4/kf5. This is not possible, in sddm login you can have KDE4 or Plasma not both!

I did:

pacman -Syu kde; pacman -Rsc; kdebase-workspace; pacman -Syu plasman-next

Board footer