You are not logged in.

#351 2014-11-24 16:50:20

Scimmia
Fellow

Re: KF 5 & Plasma

OdinEidolon wrote:

I just installed Arch and KF5 + Plasma 5 + SDDM on an old desktop. I found I also had to manually install Xorg and related packages, as they were not included as dependencies. Is there a reason for that or should this be reported? Very good dependency definition is one of the things I usually appreciate most of Archlinux.

This is normal. None of the WM/DEs in the repos will automatically pull in xorg, you need to set that up yourself.

#352 2014-11-25 03:50:57

azzido

New version (4.14.3) of kdebase-plasma now requires kdebase-workspace. If you try to update the system and get this:

looking for inter-conflicts...
:: kdebase-workspace and kdeplasma-addons-frameworks are in conflict. Remove kdeplasma-addons-frameworks? [y/N]

even though you do not have kdebase-workspace installed, uninstall kdebase-plasma.

#353 2014-11-26 09:37:14

paleneutron

azzido wrote:

New version (4.14.3) of kdebase-plasma now requires kdebase-workspace. If you try to update the system and get this:

:: kdebase-workspace and kdeplasma-addons-frameworks are in conflict. Remove kdeplasma-addons-frameworks? [y/N]

even though you do not have kdebase-workspace installed, uninstall kdebase-plasma.

I have the same problem in upgrade.
kdebase-workspace are required by a lot packages.
So I have to remove plasma-next first and then upgrade.
Then, remove kdebase-workspace, reinstall plasma-next?

#354 2014-11-26 14:47:42

davidm

paleneutron wrote:
azzido wrote:

Well you can also see which packages depend on 'kdebase-workspace' with 'pacman -Sii kdebase-workspace', see "Required By".  That is what I did.  Note that this command will show all packages available which depend on it and not just the ones you have installed.  There might be a better command to use.

Once you remove these you should be able to do a normal update.  Most packages which depend on it are just 'kdeplasma-addons-*' packages for kde4.

Last edited by davidm (2014-11-26 14:47:59)

#355 2014-11-27 03:06:00

azzido

paleneutron wrote:
azzido wrote:

If you already had plasma-next installed and you were able to successfully update the system until now it is unlikely that you have any packages that depend on kdebase-workspace installed on your system. kdebase-plasma did not depend on kdebase-workspace before, but now it does, so pacman tries to satisfy this dependency by installing kdebase-workspace and you get all the messages about conflicting packages. You only need to uninstall kdebase-plasma, not that this package belongs to KDE v4, it has nothing to do with plasma-next.

#356 2014-11-28 12:39:02

davidm

Is kde-unstable still going to be utilized going forward?  KDE sent me a notice of release candidate for KDE
Applications 14.12 and I saw the Wiki entry on the KDE page and was wondering if it was going to be an option for those on plasma-next who wish to help test the binary releases.
Thank you.

November 27, 2014. Today KDE released the Release Candidate of the new
versions of KDE Applications. With dependency and feature freezes in place,
the KDE team's focus is now on fixing bugs and further polishing.

With the various applications being based on KDE Frameworks 5, the KDE
Applications 14.12 releases need a thorough testing in order to maintain and
improve the quality and user experience. Actual users are critical to
maintaining high KDE quality, because developers simply cannot test every
possible configuration. We're counting on you to help find bugs early so they
can be squashed before the final release. Please consider joining the team by
installing the beta and reporting any bugs.

https://www.kde.org/announcements/annou … .12-rc.php

#357 2014-11-28 12:55:57

arojas
Developer

davidm wrote:

Is kde-unstable still going to be utilized going forward?  KDE sent me a notice of release candidate for KDE
Applications 14.12 and I saw the Wiki entry on the KDE page and was wondering if it was going to be an option for those on plasma-next who wish to help test the binary releases.
Thank you.

No, unfortunately Andrea doesn't have time to maintain the kde-unstable repo anymore. I have a working local repository with KDE Applications 14.12 packages, but currently I don't have the necessary bandwidth or disk space to set up a public repo. If someone can provide a server or suggest a suitable public one I will gladly make the packages available.

#358 2014-11-28 14:09:11

Box0

arojas wrote:

If someone can provide a server or suggest a suitable public one I will gladly make the packages available.

just asking, I have no idea how such things work, but couldn't you just use kde-unstable given that the other dev will not use it?

#359 2014-11-28 15:41:43

arojas
Developer

Box0 wrote:

just asking, I have no idea how such things work, but couldn't you just use kde-unstable given that the other dev will not use it?

No, only developers have access to [kde-unstable], not TUs

#360 2014-11-28 22:04:09

davidm

arojas wrote:
davidm wrote:

Thank you.

No, unfortunately Andrea doesn't have time to maintain the kde-unstable repo anymore. I have a working local repository with KDE Applications 14.12 packages, but currently I don't have the necessary bandwidth or disk space to set up a public repo. If someone can provide a server or suggest a suitable public one I will gladly make the packages available.

That's unfortunate but I appreciate Andrea's and your work on the KDE packages regardless.  I guess we have the -git packages in AUR too although that requires some compiling.

If nothing else would it be possible just to make a .zip file and put on some free filesharing site and let the user install it locally as local packages or a local repo?  Or perhaps a torrent?  I would gladly help seed 24x7 but I only have 100 KB/s upstream. sad

#361 2014-11-29 08:46:17

AnAkkk

arojas wrote:
Box0 wrote:

No, only developers have access to [kde-unstable], not TUs

Why don't you use http://pkgbuild.com/ like other TUs?

#362 2014-11-29 18:53:02

arojas
Developer

AnAkkk wrote:

Why don't you use http://pkgbuild.com/ like other TUs?

Because KDE is too big. Anyway, I'm going to use a free hosting service for now, we'll see how it goes. Will post the announcement in a different thread.

Last edited by arojas (2014-11-29 18:53:21)

#363 2014-12-01 11:44:13

Trieforce

Hey guys,

I have found a new problem involving zsh and sddm:

• chsh -s /usr/bin/zsh

• try to login via sddm

• Xorg's mouse appears on the screen and login failed

• no useful information in logs and journals

Apparently Xsession script filed when I used zsh by default.

Any idea how i can enjoy zsh while using sddm?

P.S. can only check your solutions in 2 days. Thanks!

Last edited by Trieforce (2014-12-01 22:40:36)

#364 2014-12-01 15:43:05

Scimmia
Fellow

No problems here, but I use /bin/zsh in passwd. Is /usr/bin/zsh in /etc/shells? It should be, but it's worth checking.

#365 2014-12-12 14:14:27

desaparecido

Hi, after the lastest update to 5.5.0 version all was fine, but after Qt 5.4 update I had a black screen with kdeinit5 error message.  in debug message there was something related to kdelibs4support so I tried to rebuild that package and now all works fine.  I don't know if is only my issue but my workaround was that.  I have [kde-beta] repo enable.

KF5 & Plasma5 (git versions) - Awesome WM
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX - AMD FX8350 - ATI Radeon HD 7970
[testing] repo

#366 2014-12-12 14:51:24

clfarron4
Website

desaparecido wrote:

Hi, after the lastest update to 5.5.0 version all was fine, but after Qt 5.4 update I had a black screen with kdeinit5 error message.  in debug message there was something related to kdelibs4support so I tried to rebuild that package and now all works fine.  I don't know if is only my issue but my workaround was that.  I have [kde-beta] repo enable.

See page 2 of the KDE Applications 14.12 repo thread.

Claire is fine.
Problems? I have dysgraphia, so clear and concise please.
My public GPG key for package signing
My x86_64 package repository

#367 2014-12-12 15:00:09

desaparecido

clfarron4 wrote:

See page 2 of the KDE Applications 14.12 repo thread.

yeah, thanks, pkg updated ;-)

KF5 & Plasma5 (git versions) - Awesome WM
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX - AMD FX8350 - ATI Radeon HD 7970
[testing] repo

#368 2014-12-12 18:07:04

mcloaked

Even with the new updates today I still get a plasmashell  crash if I try to "Add Widgets" with the widgets unlocked ( initiated by right clicking the desktop and selecting add widgets). Anyone else have this issue and a fix? The auto bug reporter kicks in but when it generates a backtrace it says it does not contain enough information to be useful and terminates the automatic bug reporting process!

Mike C

#369 2014-12-12 22:05:24

davidm

mcloaked wrote:

Even with the new updates today I still get a plasmashell  crash if I try to "Add Widgets" with the widgets unlocked ( initiated by right clicking the desktop and selecting add widgets). Anyone else have this issue and a fix? The auto bug reporter kicks in but when it generates a backtrace it says it does not contain enough information to be useful and terminates the automatic bug reporting process!

Hi, I tired duplicating this but it worked for me.  I added the trashcan plasmoid using right click and it worked.  I then deleted it and it even popped up a notification allowing me to undo it should I wish.  I think that is new.  I'm using kde-beta + plasma-next just updated today  with no kde aur packages on x86_64 3.18.0-1-mainline kernel though I doubt the kernel has anything to do with it.  See if there is anything in the journal maybe?

edit: It may be significant that I am using the Oxygen theme and icons as much as possible still and not the default Breeze (there is an issue with ratings being visible in Breeze within Dolphin and Gwenview as it is a monochrome theme).  I also have desktop effects off and am on Nouveau.

Last edited by davidm (2014-12-12 22:16:26)

#370 2014-12-13 09:53:03

mcloaked

davidm wrote:
mcloaked wrote:

Hi, I tired duplicating this but it worked for me.  I added the trashcan plasmoid using right click and it worked.  I then deleted it and it even popped up a notification allowing me to undo it should I wish.  I think that is new.  I'm using kde-beta + plasma-next just updated today  with no kde aur packages on x86_64 3.18.0-1-mainline kernel though I doubt the kernel has anything to do with it.  See if there is anything in the journal maybe?

edit: It may be significant that I am using the Oxygen theme and icons as much as possible still and not the default Breeze (there is an issue with ratings being visible in Breeze within Dolphin and Gwenview as it is a monochrome theme).  I also have desktop effects off and am on Nouveau.

I will switch to Oxygen theme and icons when I get a chance and test that.  My system is a small netbook with Intel graphics and an Atom processor so is not ideal for more complex desktops but still it should work even if slower than a faster more modern machine. On this machine I uninstalled all the KDE stuff and then explicitly installed the kf5, kf5-aids and plasma-next groups as well as the sddm display manager.  I think I also have all desktop effects off but again I will double check later.

Edit: I tried both Oxygen and Breeze themes and it makes no difference. I switched the kicker and kickoff and that also makes no difference, and I changed the sddm theme which also has no effect. Trying to add widgets gives a plasmashell crash within a couple of seconds every time. The crash window goes after several seconds and the desktop repaints itself but it is not possible to add widgets.  Maybe there is something corrupted and if anyone can suggest a directory to clean out or some way to reset the desktop to clean it up and see if this problem persists I would appreciate it.

Last edited by mcloaked (2014-12-13 18:06:17)

Mike C

#371 2014-12-13 20:41:10

Sevenseven

After upgrade to kf 5.5 kde panel auto hide stop working. After relogin they switched back to always visible.  Any ideas?

#372 2014-12-14 11:31:22

Yukarin

I installed arch on my laptop and try new KDE. I installed the base system from live USB, xorg + video/input-drivers, plasma-nest meta package and SDDM.
And it works! But I don't have many base programs like Dolphin, Konsole, etc. AFAIK them will be released with KDE Applications 14.12, right?
Also in menus some icons just missing. In network settings I have only SSL certificates. Why?

#373 2014-12-14 11:44:32

arojas
Developer

Yukarin wrote:

I installed arch on my laptop and try new KDE. I installed the base system from live USB, xorg + video/input-drivers, plasma-nest meta package and SDDM.
And it works! But I don't have many base programs like Dolphin, Konsole, etc. AFAIK them will be released with KDE Applications 14.12, right?
Also in menus some icons just missing. In network settings I have only SSL certificates. Why?

You can use KDE4 applications in Plasma5. In KDE Applications 14.12 most apps will still be based on KDE4 anyway. The network settings modules are provided by kdebase-konqueror.

#374 2014-12-14 11:58:23

Yukarin

arojas wrote:

You can use KDE4 applications in Plasma5. In KDE Applications 14.12 most apps will still be based on KDE4 anyway. The network settings modules are provided by kdebase-konqueror.

Thanks!
How about missed icons?
Also I'm not instal KF5/KF5-aid manually, it's ok? Seems like plasma-next packages have them in dependencies but I want make sure.

#375 2014-12-14 12:01:17

arojas
Developer

Yukarin wrote:

How about missed icons?
Also I'm not instal KF5/KF5-aid manually, it's ok? Seems like plasma-next packages have them in dependencies but I want make sure.

Install the oxygen-icons package. No, you don't need to install KF5 manually, they are libraries and they will be installed as dependencies of the applications that need them.

Board footer