You are not logged in.

#726 2015-03-18 07:18:50

arojas
Developer

Re: KF 5 & Plasma

Wu wrote:

Is there a frameworks version of "kdegraphics-thumbnailers" somewhere in the AUR? I couldn't find anything with the same name, maybe it has changed to something else?

No, but there's a frameworks git branch, so you can easily create one.

#727 2015-03-18 08:36:39

giddie

JKAbrams wrote:

Would appreciate any information how to work around these:
-Some (most) icons on start menu are displayed black. (Icons works in menu editor. Does not work when right clicking and selecting "Edit Application" on the start menu.)

Could this be a graphics card issue? What driver are you using? For instance, if it's an nVidia, maybe try nouveau instead of nv, or vice-versa to see if it helps?

JKAbrams wrote:

-Actions on title-bars (Double-clicking/scrolling) does not work

Do the system settings for this not have any effect? I found that my settings had been lost in the transition and had to set them up again, but the settings applied fine for me.

JKAbrams wrote:

Plain buggy:
-System Settings seg faults often
-Plasma crashed once

Weird, I haven't had any of these issues. Have you tried with a fresh user directory, or at least a fresh .config, just to see if it's some old configuration that's throwing stuff off?

JKAbrams wrote:

Opinions (things that are in the way of getting work done):
-Hard to see where one window ends and another starts (because of lack of window border)

The window border size can be adjusted, but it's true that the colour can blend in somewhat with the contents of other windows, making it hard to see the separation. You could try darkening the window shadow? I think that can be done, though I've never tried it.

#728 2015-03-18 08:50:57

Tromzy

Actions on title bar (double click and scroll) work fine for me.

#729 2015-03-18 12:09:28

x1site

can anybody  publish his config for sddm or for another dm which are working with plasma5?

awesome + rofi

#730 2015-03-18 12:38:36

giddie

@x1site Are you using ZSH? If so, there's a chance all you need to do is tweak SDDM as per: https://github.com/sddm/sddm/pull/358/files

#731 2015-03-18 12:38:48

pb
Website

@x1site - What's wrong? SDDM should works OTB after installing and enabling it.
It's my /etc/sddm.conf: http://pastebin.com/YcPxNVBx

#732 2015-03-18 15:18:35

Llama
Banned

Ah, SDDM. What's wrong with its mouse cursor? It takes way to long to appear, if at all. Intel, Nvidia.

#733 2015-03-18 16:24:08

pb
Website

@Llama - I don't noticed that. What kind of cursor theme do you use? In /etc/sddm.conf, section [Theme], position: CursorTheme=something. Have you really got this cursor theme installed?

#734 2015-03-18 17:04:41

Llama
Banned

pb wrote:

@Llama - I don't noticed that. What kind of cursor theme do you use? In /etc/sddm.conf, section [Theme], position: CursorTheme=something. Have you really got this cursor theme installed?

Added a cursor theme, as advised (/etc/sddm.conf):

[Theme]
Current=archlinux
CursorTheme=Adwaita

Adwaita cursor theme is in use with the desktop. Same erratic delay, same X11 basic cursor.

#735 2015-03-18 17:22:57

JKAbrams

giddie wrote:
JKAbrams wrote:

Would appreciate any information how to work around these:
-Some (most) icons on start menu are displayed black. (Icons works in menu editor. Does not work when right clicking and selecting "Edit Application" on the start menu.)

Could this be a graphics card issue? What driver are you using? For instance, if it's an nVidia, maybe try nouveau instead of nv, or vice-versa to see if it helps?

Sure it could be. I've been switching back and fourth between nVidia and and Nouveau for some time, I'm on nVidia drivers now as they have proved to have less bugs than Nouveau, but have not yet tested Nouveau on Plasma 5. Nouveau still lacks power management for my card (Geeforce 8800gt), however work is ongoing on this http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/FeatureMatrix/ perhaps in a year or two we'll have this if we are lucky and all goes well for the mesa developers. Power management is actually closely linked to the 3D performance of the card.

Weird thing: After a reboot more of the icons are now shown, now most of the icons display correctly. I think it has something to do with the cashing of the icons, as I can't see a pattern which gets black, yet for a given session the same icons stay black.
While browsing the start menu right now, plasma crashed again. Its annoying but not to bad as it restarts itself automatically and is back after 10 seconds. There is actually an upside to plasma crashing as that regulates the memory leaks (anyone who knows the command to manually restart plasma in order to flush the memory?).

giddie wrote:
JKAbrams wrote:

-Actions on title-bars (Double-clicking/scrolling) does not work

Do the system settings for this not have any effect? I found that my settings had been lost in the transition and had to set them up again, but the settings applied fine for me.

No, thats just the thing, I thought setting them again might update the old values and reset them, but there is no effect.

giddie wrote:
JKAbrams wrote:

Plain buggy:
-System Settings seg faults often
-Plasma crashed once

Weird, I haven't had any of these issues. Have you tried with a fresh user directory, or at least a fresh .config, just to see if it's some old configuration that's throwing stuff off?

No, but I guess I'll have to try that soon if I don't find other remedies, I am reluctant, tho, as it represents a huge amount of work for me to reconfigure every application and things like file associations but if there is no other way to get plasma working, I have to bite the bullet.
System settings usually crashes when I go back up to the icon view from a settings-view. Happens with various settings-views (happened right now actually while writing this).

giddie wrote:
JKAbrams wrote:

Opinions (things that are in the way of getting work done):
-Hard to see where one window ends and another starts (because of lack of window border)

The window border size can be adjusted, but it's true that the colour can blend in somewhat with the contents of other windows, making it hard to see the separation. You could try darkening the window shadow? I think that can be done, though I've never tried it.

Yes I was looking for a setting to adjust the border shadow, I know I did that in KDE4 but I can't seem to find it now.
After some experimenting I find this combination of settings to work well with most applications:
Look and Feel: Oxygen
Desktop theme: Breeze
Color: Oxygen
Cursor them: Oxygen white (Better contrast than Breeze)
Widget style: Breeze
Window decorations: Breeze
GTK2 style: QtCurve
GTK3 style: Default
Icons: Oxygen (I find the new icons are a bit less expressive and harder to distinguish)

Tromzy wrote:

Actions on title bar (double click and scroll) work fine for me.

Ok, that means that it should be possible to get this thing working.

EDIT: Double clicking the title bar started working now all of a sudden! Don't know what I changed as I'm changing all settings back and forth.

Last edited by JKAbrams (2015-03-18 17:35:48)

#736 2015-03-18 17:45:56

JKAbrams

Setting compositor to Xrender (or turning the compositor off altogether) made a huge improvement for me in desktop responsiveness.

#737 2015-03-18 18:59:44

hellfire[bg]

Does anyone experiance a graphical glitch with some of the applications (I guess applications that have still not been porthed to KDE Frameworks 5) when browsing trhough the menus of the applications? I experience this problem with dolphin and you can see it in this screenshot:
n1aEymWb.png

You can see that the edge of the drop-down menu has a slightly different color. This glitch appears only for a very short amount of time (I would guess several miliseconds) and is gone by the time the drop down menu is fully visualised.It is still quite visible however and quite irritating. The transparency is not part of the issue - I just had to click on and off on the menu button so that the drop down menu was captured by ksnapshot while the glitch was present.

#738 2015-03-18 19:20:01

pb
Website

@Llama - Try

CursorTheme=KDE_Classic

Maybe it helps.

#739 2015-03-18 20:39:41

JKAbrams

hellfire[bg] wrote:

Does anyone experiance a graphical glitch with some of the applications (I guess applications that have still not been porthed to KDE Frameworks 5) when browsing trhough the menus of the applications?

No, I have not seen this one but I've observed two other graphical glitches:
-Hovering over the icons in System Settings renders ~1 frame a bit off (have not taken precise screenshots to see exactly how, but you can see it kind of jump a little)
-Switching between menus on the classic start menu renders ~1 frame that has the menu shorter than it should be by around 2-3 menu-items, this has the effect of looking like the menu has a hole there.

However; I tried the Nouveau driver (and also set compositing to CPU-based Xrender) and I can no longer see these glitches.

Since I switched to Nouveau I've got two different problems:
-Rendering bug in Display Configuration (and in sddm), where some text is inverted with a black filling around.
text-glitch-nouveau2.png
-The automatic screensaver that is built into X11 that shuts off the screens after ~10 minutes (this is a Nouveau problem I've had before but never found a solution for, I'd like to shut it off completely).

Edit: By the way, the issue with black icons is still here and so were not related to the graphics driver, but video playing (while still slightly teared) is much more responsive than on nVidia so I'll keep Nouveau for the time being.

Wireshark icon should not be black

Last edited by JKAbrams (2015-03-19 01:03:04)

#740 2015-03-19 03:28:51

Llama
Banned

pb wrote:

@Llama - Try

CursorTheme=KDE_Classic

Maybe it helps.

It doesn't make any difference. Cursor trouble is there.

#741 2015-03-19 08:54:06

Tromzy

hellfire[bg] wrote:

Does anyone experiance a graphical glitch with some of the applications (I guess applications that have still not been porthed to KDE Frameworks 5) when browsing trhough the menus of the applications? I experience this problem with dolphin and you can see it in this screenshot:
http://i.imgur.com/n1aEymWb.png

You can see that the edge of the drop-down menu has a slightly different color. This glitch appears only for a very short amount of time (I would guess several miliseconds) and is gone by the time the drop down menu is fully visualised.It is still quite visible however and quite irritating. The transparency is not part of the issue - I just had to click on and off on the menu button so that the drop down menu was captured by ksnapshot while the glitch was present.

Yep, happens here too. I noticed it.

#742 2015-03-20 09:36:08

mcpalls

Moderator edit:  This post has been taken to a new thread https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=195037

Last edited by ewaller (2015-03-20 14:46:24)

#743 2015-03-20 14:02:03

Buddlespit

Ignore everything I said. I am neither a mod or admin.

Last edited by Buddlespit (2015-03-20 15:04:38)

#744 2015-03-20 14:21:04

mcpalls

@Buddlespit
are you a admin or moderator?
however, I adjusted the cross-posting, sorry

#745 2015-03-20 15:22:30

nierro

Does anybody of you noticed that transmission-qt started in plasma5 makes plasmashell process ram usage grow up really fast? It happens only with transmission-qt. I'm at 2gb after 1hr...and closing transmission-qt is not enough (well it stops increasing ram usage at least) , i have to reboot.

#746 2015-03-20 15:34:37

giddie

@nierro: does restarting plasma help? You should be able to:

killall plasma-shell && plasma-shell &

#747 2015-03-20 19:56:11

hellfire[bg]

Yep, happens here too. I noticed it.

Now that I think about it I'm not sure it happens only with applications not ported to KDE Frameworks 5. It deffinately happens in Dolphin, Gwenview, Kate and KMail. But I don't see it happening in Konsole.

I am using the Intel driver (on an Intel Haswell graphics card) if that matters.

#748 2015-03-21 05:16:53

x1site

So anybody give me his sddm.conf for plasma5? thx

awesome + rofi

#749 2015-03-21 06:01:12

nullified

x1site wrote:

I didn't need to do anything special in sddm.conf. Have you read through: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/SDDM

If you are having specific troubles, better to say what they are.

"We may say most aptly, that the Analytical Engine weaves algebraical patterns just as the Jacquard-loom weaves flowers and leaves." - Ada Lovelace

#750 2015-03-21 06:19:52

pb
Website

x1site wrote:

Here is my: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 3#p1512103

Board footer