You are not logged in.

#826 2015-04-20 15:18:25

adventurer

Re: KF 5 & Plasma

arojas wrote:

Note that, although the "official" weather widget is not ported yet, there are already a couple of very good weather applets for Plasma 5 available, see http://kde-look.org/index.php?xcontentmode=93

Thanks, Antonio, I will look into them!

#827 2015-04-20 15:42:33

pb
Website

arojas wrote:

Note that, although the "official" weather widget is not ported yet, there are already a couple of very good weather applets for Plasma 5 available, see http://kde-look.org/index.php?xcontentmode=93

It looks, as with Plasma 5.3 beta, only meteo-qt works good.

#828 2015-04-20 15:54:07

arojas
Developer

pb wrote:

It looks, as with Plasma 5.3 beta, only meteo-qt works good.

plasma-applet-weather-widget-git from AUR works OK for me in 5.3

#829 2015-04-20 17:16:15

adventurer

arojas wrote:

plasma-applet-weather-widget-git from AUR works OK for me in 5.3

Yes, works for me, too. Thanks again.

#830 2015-04-20 21:53:00

Abaddon

After todays upgrade reboot and shutdown options are not working sometimes. Nothing happens when I click on them when issue occurs.

Last edited by Abaddon (2015-04-20 22:04:48)

Gnome - The weakest link!
Linux, *not* GNU/Linux!

#831 2015-04-21 03:15:12

canurabus

Has anyone managed to figure out how to silence KWallet? This infuriatingly bad application pops up randomly and tries to intrusively manage your passwords. I can't even push to my git repos without the stupid thing popping up and harassing me. I downloaded KWalletManager because there are no options in System Settings for it but the application just freezes when it starts and I have to kill it. I decided to try out KDE after being fed up with Gnome because I heard everything was configurable instead of being forced on the user... and its been a pretty okay experience for the most part. But this KWallet thing is incredibly bad and seemingly forcibly shoved down your throat.

#832 2015-04-21 08:07:45

piotroxp

Guys, I'd like to reiterate on the problem with hot plugging screens. It was working in kde-unstable, after moving on to official repos it looks like this:

DSUB:
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-kKIu … 093846.jpg
HDMI:
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-PLHk … 100918.jpg

I'd like to say that it's a regular acer 3820tg, intel, radeon mobility, archlinux updated yesterday. Thank you kindly for your input, I'll fill out this post with more details later as I'm working right now wink

Regards, piotroxp

Moderator edit:  Converted img tags for over sized pictures to url tags.

Last edited by ewaller (2015-04-21 13:58:51)

I invented EM Field Patterns and fixed Feynmann's Diagrams so they are physical.

#833 2015-04-21 09:19:59

mcloaked

canurabus wrote:

Has anyone managed to figure out how to silence KWallet? This infuriatingly bad application pops up randomly and tries to intrusively manage your passwords. I can't even push to my git repos without the stupid thing popping up and harassing me. I downloaded KWalletManager because there are no options in System Settings for it but the application just freezes when it starts and I have to kill it. I decided to try out KDE after being fed up with Gnome because I heard everything was configurable instead of being forced on the user... and its been a pretty okay experience for the most part. But this KWallet thing is incredibly bad and seemingly forcibly shoved down your throat.

You could always give it a blank password and then it will work in the background - at least it always worked that way before.

Mike C

#834 2015-04-21 09:28:36

Archange
Package Maintainer (PM)

But then it stores your passwords unencrypted…

#835 2015-04-21 10:22:24

Buddlespit

piotroxp wrote:

Guys, I'd like to reiterate on the problem with hot plugging screens. It was working in kde-unstable, after moving on to official repos it looks like this:
I'd like to say that it's a regular acer 3820tg, intel, radeon mobility, archlinux updated yesterday. Thank you kindly for your input, I'll fill out this post with more details later as I'm working right now wink

Regards, piotroxp

Disable compositing (alt+shit+F12) before connecting anything or making changes to the display, then turn it back on once done.

#836 2015-04-21 12:10:47

achilleas.k

canurabus wrote:

The normal way of disabling KWallet is by launching KDE Wallet Manager (kwalletmanager), going to Settings > Configure Wallet and unchecking "Enable the KDE wallet subsystem".

#837 2015-04-21 13:29:34

canurabus

achilleas.k wrote:

The normal way of disabling KWallet is by launching KDE Wallet Manager (kwalletmanager), going to Settings > Configure Wallet and unchecking "Enable the KDE wallet subsystem".

Unfortunately as I mentioned kwalletmanager freezes as soon as I start it and is unresponsive until I kill it. I believe another poster had the same issue a few posts up.

mcloaked wrote:

You could always give it a blank password and then it will work in the background - at least it always worked that way before.

It didn't seem to matter what I entered, the password prompts kept popping up every time I wanted to use git. I think this might have something to do with ksshaskpass. It seems like I've gotten rid of the prompts by unsetting SSH_ASKPASS in my environment variables (I threw this in bashrc):

unset SSH_ASKPASS

I guess I'll stick with this until kwallet/manager/sshaskpass is updated.

#838 2015-04-21 13:34:49

achilleas.k

So I took the plunge today and spent half the day getting everything configured the way I like it. I have a couple of issues now:

- Krunner no longer finds things from my personal $PATH. For instance, I have a few scripts I like to launch directly, so I keep them in ~/bin. Krunner would gladly use my $PATH variable and I could just type the name of the script to run it directly. That doesn't seem to work now. I'm also gonna miss some Krunner addons I got used to over the years, but I guess that part was inevitable.

- Notifications are a bit of a mess. The system tray is more or less OK, but a lot of applications still generate notifications that don't end up in Plasma's notification handler (e.g., Clementine, Thunderbird, "notify-send"). Not sure if I messed something up with my configs.

- Adding a startup script to the autostart menu (either as a symlink or as a copy) creates the file in the default path (~/.config/autostart), but the script isn't run on startup and doesn't appear in the menu (the KDE control module) after closing and reopening. Adding a script as a program with a full path (which creates a desktop file) works fine.

I know these are minor annoyances, just wondering if anyone has any thoughts, solutions or workarounds.

#839 2015-04-21 13:50:10

achilleas.k

canurabus wrote:

Unfortunately as I mentioned kwalletmanager freezes as soon as I start it and is unresponsive until I kill it. I believe another poster had the same issue a few posts up.

I guess I'll stick with this until kwallet/manager/sshaskpass is updated.

Oh, sorry, that was stupid of me. I didn't read your issue carefully.
Try the following:

kcmshell4 kwalletconfig

#840 2015-04-21 13:51:30

arojas
Developer

achilleas.k wrote:

- Notifications are a bit of a mess. The system tray is more or less OK, but a lot of applications still generate notifications that don't end up in Plasma's notification handler (e.g., Clementine, Thunderbird, "notify-send"). Not sure if I messed something up with my configs.

You have some other notification daemon running and it's registering org.freedesktop.notifications instead of Plasma. Find out what it is and remove it from autostart.

- Adding a startup script to the autostart menu (either as a symlink or as a copy) creates the file in the default path (~/.config/autostart), but the script isn't run on startup and doesn't appear in the menu (the KDE control module) after closing and reopening. Adding a script as a program with a full path (which creates a desktop file) works fine.

Known issue, scripts should go to ~/.config/plasma-workspace/env/

Last edited by arojas (2015-04-21 13:52:00)

#841 2015-04-21 17:11:51

achilleas.k

arojas wrote:
achilleas.k wrote:

You have some other notification daemon running and it's registering org.freedesktop.notifications instead of Plasma. Find out what it is and remove it from autostart.

Known issue, scripts should go to ~/.config/plasma-workspace/env/

Awesome! Thanks for the help and sorry for rehashing known issues.

EDIT: I also solved my Krunner issue by adding another script in ~/.config/plasma-workspace/env/ that exports my path.

As for the notification issue, it turns out it wasn't an issue at all. I thought it wasn't working properly because the notifications weren't stacking in the notification log, like they used to. It turns out that the devs changed it so that only persistent notifications (e.g., notify-send -t 0) are logged (see https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=342260)

Last edited by achilleas.k (2015-04-21 18:14:12)

#842 2015-04-21 18:55:25

yanthor

canurabus wrote:

I have this, it was some conflicting situation. Now I have only these packages and it works fine:

$ pacman -Q | grep wallet
kdeutils-kwalletmanager 15.04.0-1
kwallet 5.9.0-1

Now I have another problem. Every time i log-in, my desktop effects are not working properly. My Firefox's smooth-scrolls feels bad and the movies has bad tearing.
I "fix" this by going in the systemsettings5 -> Display and Monitor -> Compositor, and switch the "Scale method". From Accurate to Smooth, and then back to Accurate.
But need to do this every time I log-in. Is there a permanent fix? And no, it doesn't matter between Accurate, Smooth or Crisp. In the next log-in it's broken again.

PS: I think this can be related to others dual screen problems some of you have, but can't confirm - have only one screen.
PS2: I have nvidia with 346.59-1 driver.

Thanks.

#843 2015-04-22 02:44:50

MartinZ

I had KDE4 configured with a global menu (as described in https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/KD … he_desktop), with all the corresponding appmenu packages and kdeplasma-applets-menubar installed. Of course I forgot to disable all this stuff before upgrading to KF5, and now all gtk and qt4 apps show no menu. I really couldn't figure out where this configuration is kept.

I would really appreciate some help with this annoyance.

All your base are belong to us

#844 2015-04-22 18:38:50

Teyras

After an update to KDE Telepathy (15.04) its notifications started to occur repeatedly (e.g. the ring that plays with an incoming message keeps ringing until I open that message). Is that a feature, a bug in Telepathy, or a bug in the notification system?

#845 2015-04-22 18:52:51

arojas
Developer

Teyras wrote:

After an update to KDE Telepathy (15.04) its notifications started to occur repeatedly (e.g. the ring that plays with an incoming message keeps ringing until I open that message). Is that a feature, a bug in Telepathy, or a bug in the notification system?

See https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=346148

#846 2015-04-22 19:19:39

Teyras

arojas wrote:
Teyras wrote:

See https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=346148

Thanks, can't believe I missed that...

#847 2015-04-22 20:28:15

Soukyuu

arojas wrote:
Soukyuu wrote:

Anyone else trying to make KDE run scripts on shutdown? I can manually execute them (and see the message they create in the journal), but they're seemingly not being executed on shutdown...

Put them in $HOME/.config/plasma-workspace/shutdown

Meh, can't believe I missed that reply somehow. In any case, it doesn't seem to work. I can run the script manually, so the permissions should be ok.

Also, I have installed the orion theme for GTK and have the problem that it doesn't apply the color scheme - I've set breeze to "breeze dark", but orion is still using the light version. kde-gtk-config is installed.

edit: oxygen-gtk switches to the dark theme correctly. A theme issue?

Last edited by Soukyuu (2015-04-22 20:37:30)

[ Arch x86_64 | linux | Framework 13 | AMD Ryzen™ 5 7640U | 32GB RAM | KDE Plasma Wayland ]

#848 2015-04-23 06:47:44

achilleas.k

Soukyuu wrote:

Meh, can't believe I missed that reply somehow. In any case, it doesn't seem to work. I can run the script manually, so the permissions should be ok.

I'm not entirely sure this is the case so if it works please let me know. I think I saw a similar issue with a startup script not working until I added a .sh extension. I can't test right now, so if you manage to test it before I do, I'd like to know if this is the case.

EDIT: I felt this was a strange requirement but it seems it was also the case in KDE4 https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=171136

Last edited by achilleas.k (2015-04-23 06:52:30)

#849 2015-04-23 08:12:42

zsebibaba

Aerion wrote:
arojas wrote:

telepathy-kde has been ported to KF5, so the applets will not work on the KDE4 desktop anymore.

OK, thanks.

Is there a replacement for KF5? It's a pain to no longer have the IM Contacts applet in my system tray.

Hello, is there anything to do for users still running KDE4 to have telepathy working again?

#850 2015-04-23 08:59:39

arojas
Developer

zsebibaba wrote:

Hello, is there anything to do for users still running KDE4 to have telepathy working again?

The non-plasma parts (contact list, text ui) should still work in KDE4. If you want the applets, then you'll have to stick with 0.9 (KDE4 applets can't be compiled against KF5 libs)

Board footer