You are not logged in.

#1676 2015-12-20 15:35:02

mcloaked

Re: KF 5 & Plasma

It would be nice to have a standard way to clean out old kde4 configs so that there is no negative impact on plasma behaviour.

Mike C

#1677 2015-12-21 00:10:41

Trinakrian
Website

Would appreciate anyone's help.

After the most recent update, all my applications started off screen - even though I have only one monitor and one virtual desktop. Now, this wasn't a problem since I just would right click on the application in my Task Manager and select move to bring them onto my screen.

Since I have all my applications window settings to reopen in the same spot they were closed, I only need to do this once per application.

Problem is that my primary terminal is Yakuake. So it's dropping down off screen and since Yakuake doesn't show up in the Task Manager I can grab it and drag it. Since I can't access Yakuake, I can't access the location settings. I've uninstalled, reinstalled, rebooted. I've uninstalled, installed frameworks-git version, rebooted. It keeps opening off screen.

ANY help would be appreciated - I have used Yakuake for years and don't want to switch!

If you're coming on, come on!!!

#1678 2015-12-21 01:06:02

piedro

@Elderon

In "systemsettings" > "shortcuts" > "own shortcuts" there is a "Print Screen" action shortcut. If you had ksnapshot before it is set to start ksnapshot when pressing >PrintScreen>. Delete it and replace it with your own "Print Screen" shortcut to start "spectacle" on pressing <Print Screen>...

In this case you don't have to search any config files.

Late to the party but cheers!
p.

Last edited by piedro (2015-12-21 01:08:14)

#1679 2015-12-21 11:27:01

mcloaked

mcloaked wrote:

I am fully up to date with plasma 5 and I see that if you have a panel launch icon such as konsole on the panel - then clicking that icon starts the application but the icon then goes faded - hovering the cursor over the icon returns it to its full non-faded state. Is this a feature that others have observed also?  I have this on four different systems running plasma. Is it a feature or a bug? It is not a big deal but just one of those things that I'd prefer to see the icon not change it's colour state if clicked.

Edit: on one machine an update this afternoon seems to have resolved this - hovering does change hue of the icon to a slightly faded version but moving the cursor away again returns it to full colour. I'll have to check if the same is true on my other machines but can't do that today.

I just checked my laptop and this issue remains - one difference is that I have desktop effects on with the laptop but not with the desktop where the problem has resolved. So perhaps this issue will be resolved in tomorrow's release to 5.5.2?

Mike C

#1680 2015-12-21 19:42:38

mcloaked

mcloaked wrote:

I am fully up to date with plasma 5 and I see that if you have a panel launch icon such as konsole on the panel - then clicking that icon starts the application but the icon then goes faded - hovering the cursor over the icon returns it to its full non-faded state. Is this a feature that others have observed also?  I have this on four different systems running plasma. Is it a feature or a bug? It is not a big deal but just one of those things that I'd prefer to see the icon not change it's colour state if clicked.

Edit: on one machine an update this afternoon seems to have resolved this - hovering does change hue of the icon to a slightly faded version but moving the cursor away again returns it to full colour. I'll have to check if the same is true on my other machines but can't do that today.

After a pacman update to plasma-framework 5.17.0-2 this issue seems to be solved for my machines.

Edit: Spoke too soon! It fixed it for the Konsole icon but not for Thunderbird! Weird.

Last edited by mcloaked (2015-12-21 19:44:13)

Mike C

#1681 2015-12-21 23:36:10

fatino

After latest updates i lost transparency in breeze. It is transparent but very little. When I change Contrast Background in Effects I get my old transparency back for like 4 seconds and it goes back to very little transparency.

#1682 2015-12-22 01:36:46

TheSaint

I dropped kde4 and I'm facing the problem that the screen remain blank with the pointer.
If I RMB on the desktop something flash, as it should be the normal appearance, but then it quickly disappear. If I press on/off switch then it will show the message to quit in a normal way.
I disabled almost all of the visual effects.

do it good first, it will be faster than do it twice the saint wink

#1683 2015-12-22 06:04:19

Shinto

TheSaint wrote:

I dropped kde4 and I'm facing the problem that the screen remain blank with the pointer.
If I RMB on the desktop something flash, as it should be the normal appearance, but then it quickly disappear. If I press on/off switch then it will show the message to quit in a normal way.
I disabled almost all of the visual effects.

Did you try it with a new user? Or in other words: Remove all kde stuff from ~/.config, ~/.local and ~/.cache ...

#1684 2015-12-22 07:41:22

TheSaint

I tried a new user, but KF5 still the same sort.
I tried some new setting by calling systemsetting5, in LXDE. None has effect.
What I see is the starting screen with the bar getting full, normally, then a black screen with the mouse pointer, set by KDE. No task bar or Kickstar (at least permanently).
I have Nvidia proprietary drivers, so I can't switch back to any VT.

#1685 2015-12-22 09:42:06

Ravior

Is there an easy way to start a Plasma Wayland session in 5.5?
While it was in beta there was an entry in the sddm login manager.

#1686 2015-12-22 10:01:19

arojas
Developer

TheSaint wrote:

I tried a new user, but KF5 still the same sort.
I tried some new setting by calling systemsetting5, in LXDE. None has effect.
What I see is the starting screen with the bar getting full, normally, then a black screen with the mouse pointer, set by KDE. No task bar or Kickstar (at least permanently).
I have Nvidia proprietary drivers, so I can't switch back to any VT.

Run plasmashell from a terminal and post the output

#1687 2015-12-22 10:29:17

TheSaint

I've tried within LXDE and this is the report.
So I see the task bar starting up, but obviously there's a conflict with LXDE.

#1688 2015-12-22 10:30:12

Soukyuu

fatino wrote:

After latest updates i lost transparency in breeze. It is transparent but very little. When I change Contrast Background in Effects I get my old transparency back for like 4 seconds and it goes back to very little transparency.

The transparency was removed a while back (5.14 update?), apparently it was a bug that only happened to some systems and was never intended. What I did was getting the Freeze theme and use its panel, translucent and dialog backgrounds with the Breeze dark theme and it looks the same as I've had it before the "fix"

[ Arch x86_64 | linux | Framework 13 | AMD Ryzen™ 5 7640U | 32GB RAM | KDE Plasma Wayland ]

#1689 2015-12-22 11:18:27

akurei
Website

I am having a problem with Plasma. I upgraded like described by removing kdebase-workspace and then installing plasma. I have used a fresh profile, so no old config files. After a few minutes (time varies randomly) I cannot start new GUI applications anymore. It says "Could not connect to display :0". I have checked that the correct hostname is set and also removed networkmanager. I also tried it without SDDM just by startx. Same problem. Everything was fine with KDE 4.

Things I have already tried:
- I have already done some research and some people said it has to do with the hostname being reset by networkmanager. I deinstalled NM and made sure hostname is set.
- People suggested it could have something to do with SDDM. I deinstalled SDDM and manually started via startx.
- Made a new user profile and tried getting plasma to work there.

#1690 2015-12-22 11:19:23

Soukyuu

Is someone else having this issue?

[ Arch x86_64 | linux | Framework 13 | AMD Ryzen™ 5 7640U | 32GB RAM | KDE Plasma Wayland ]

#1691 2015-12-22 11:27:22

mcloaked

akurei wrote:

I am having a problem with Plasma. I upgraded like described by removing kdebase-workspace and then installing plasma. I have used a fresh profile, so no old config files. After a few minutes (time varies randomly) I cannot start new GUI applications anymore. It says "Could not connect to display :0". I have checked that the correct hostname is set and also removed networkmanager. I also tried it without SDDM just by startx. Same problem. Everything was fine with KDE 4.

Things I have already tried:
- I have already done some research and some people said it has to do with the hostname being reset by networkmanager. I deinstalled NM and made sure hostname is set.
- People suggested it could have something to do with SDDM. I deinstalled SDDM and manually started via startx.
- Made a new user profile and tried getting plasma to work there.

What procedure did you use to upgrade?  Did you do something like:
systemctl isolate multi-user.target
pacman -S sddm sddm-kcm
systemctl disable kdm
systemctl enable sddm
pacman -Rc kdebase-workspace
pacman -S plasma-meta breeze-kde4
systemctl reboot

Also it is worth checking your xorg settings since for some hardware 3d effects can cause real problems. Having 3d switched off before sddm tries to load the plasma desktop can help for some systems.  I added a section to my xorg config to explicitely switch off dri on two of my machines before I could get plasma to give a working desktop. There are also new versions of mesa and the kernel still in testing that may help particularly for Intel graphics hardware where plasma has exposed new bugs in the drivers. Just a few things worth trying if you have not already tried them.

Mike C

#1692 2015-12-22 11:43:10

akurei
Website

I did:

pacman -Rscun kdebase-workspace
pacman -Syu plasma
pacman -Syu sddm sddm-kcm
systemctl disable kdm
systemctl enable sddm
reboot

There are also new versions of mesa and the kernel still in testing that may help particularly for Intel graphics hardware where plasma has exposed new bugs in the drivers. Just a few things worth trying if you have not already tried them.

Going to try this.

By the way, the messages look like that:

$ ghb
No protocol specified
Unable to init server: Could not connect: Connection refused

** (ghb:7354): WARNING **: main: Cannot open display: 
No protocol specified
Unable to init server: Could not connect: Connection refused

(ghb:7354): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :0
$ konversation                                                                                            1 :(
QCoreApplication::arguments: Please instantiate the QApplication object first
No protocol specified
QXcbConnection: Could not connect to display :0
[1]    7371 abort      konversation
$ gitk                                                                                                  134 :(
No protocol specified
No protocol specified
application-specific initialization failed: couldn't connect to display ":0"
No protocol specified
No protocol specified
Error in startup script: couldn't connect to display ":0"
    while executing
"load /usr/lib/libtk8.6.so Tk"
    ("package ifneeded Tk 8.6.4" script)
    invoked from within
"package require Tk"
    (file "/usr/bin/gitk" line 10)

EDIT: I just saw there is an upgrade to plasma-framework-5.17.0-2. I am going to try this first!

Last edited by akurei (2015-12-22 11:44:35)

#1693 2015-12-22 12:17:52

akurei
Website

Tried the new kernel and the update to plasma-framework. Did not work or help.
I have now switched graphic cards on my laptop. I am using the NVIDIA one now. Curious if that will fix it.

#1694 2015-12-22 12:25:34

xirus

Akurei, I'm experiencing the exact same problem. Everything works, and after a certain time it's impossible to open new GUI screens. I tried a lot but only executing "xhost +" as root works and this is not the preferred solution...

Last edited by xirus (2015-12-22 12:26:05)

#1695 2015-12-22 12:38:30

akurei
Website

xirus wrote:

Akurei, I'm experiencing the exact same problem. Everything works, and after a certain time it's impossible to open new GUI screens. I tried a lot but only executing "xhost +" as root works and this is not the preferred solution...

Weird thing is there are threads on the internet about this with KDE as far back as 2012.
I have switched to NVIDIA GPU, but the problem still persists.

I will maybe try a full new install later this evening or tomorrow.

#1696 2015-12-22 13:16:27

mcloaked

Akurei, I noticed that you installed plasma rather than plasma-meta. Was this intentional? The recommendation seems to be to install plasma-meta to get a fairly complete set of packages, or plasma-group to get a more minimal set but I have not seen any recommendation to install just plasma. I don't know if this means you are missing a key package? Simply doing a pacman -S plasma-meta might install additional important packages? Also might be worth looking at the possible solution to various issues listed start at https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/KDE#Intel

Last edited by mcloaked (2015-12-22 13:20:08)

Mike C

#1697 2015-12-22 15:18:46

nierro

Small question in the middle of all these issues...
are

kdepasswd-frameworks-git
kdialog-frameworks-git

from kde-baseapps-git (aur) still needed?

Last edited by nierro (2015-12-22 15:19:02)

#1698 2015-12-22 16:12:40

akurei
Website

mcloaked wrote:

Akurei, I noticed that you installed plasma rather than plasma-meta. Was this intentional? The recommendation seems to be to install plasma-meta to get a fairly complete set of packages, or plasma-group to get a more minimal set but I have not seen any recommendation to install just plasma.

In the Wiki it says you can do either: plasma-meta or plasma.

I don't know if this means you are missing a key package? Simply doing a pacman -S plasma-meta might install additional important packages? Also might be worth looking at the possible solution to various issues listed start at https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/KDE#Intel

I have now reinstalled Arch fresh from the newest install medium. Completely fresh and vanilla. And I STILL get that error. I have wiped the disk and reinstalled. Seems like it is some Bug in KDE or in nouveau for my hardware. I am running x86_64 on a Dell Latitude E6420.

#1699 2015-12-22 17:15:49

mcloaked

On my laptop with both integrated graphics and nvidia, I prevent the nvidia card from being used and use only the Intel integrated graphics - it might be worth trying that perhaps? What is your graphics hardware? What is the output of lspci |egrep Graphics?  As far as I understand it the underlying graphics calls stress the graphics drivers more in plasma than they did in kde4 - and although in the long run there will be significant improvements in performance there are bugs to be resolved in the meantime when running plasma - and workarounds are necessary - I have had to change settings for graphics in all my machines in order to get plasma to work satisfactorily including for those with Intel only integrated graphics.

One of the things that occasionally happens on my machines is that whilst running Thunderbird and trying to start a new mail the compose window opens without window decorations, and the graphics partly hangs and I can no longer change virtual desktops - or start new programs - but the mouse still works enough to allow me to right click on a blank part of the desktop and select logout - once logged out and back in then things work again. I do wonder if this is related to your issue. I am hoping that mesa-libgl 11.1.0-1 will help when it is released from testing.

Also have you tried changing your graphics settings in plasma from egl to glx? Also does switching off enabling the compositor in settings->display and monitor under compositor?  In my case that does help with some of the graphics glitches.

Last edited by mcloaked (2015-12-22 17:44:14)

Mike C

#1700 2015-12-22 19:38:19

toxygen

is it me or is spectacle missing features that ksnapshot had? for instance, taking shots of rectangular regions, the region is not remembered for the next shot so you have to re-select it.  same with saving files, go to "save as" and the location is not remembered for the next shot
I'm keeping it on the ignore list for now
[rant]why cant new implementations of programs be at least on parity (feature-wise) with previous versions?
kde is so bad at keeping parity[/rant]

"I know what you're thinking, 'cause right now I'm thinking the same thing. Actually, I've been thinking it ever since I got here:
Why oh why didn't I take the BLUE pill?"

Board footer