You are not logged in.

#1776 2016-01-14 20:15:12

ali_molaei
Website

Re: KF 5 & Plasma

sunnylx wrote:
aouelete wrote:
mcloaked wrote:

After the most recent set of updates over the past weekend I have had screen flickering when the graphical target starts and goes to the sddm greeter - on two of the laptops the left hand two inches of the screen flashes on and off at the greeter screen - and when the plasma desktop is active after logging in then various flickering and flashing happens at various times.  I found that I can get acceptable stability by turning off compositing completely in the plasma system settings but also I have then added a stanza to my 90-libinput.conf file to use uxa instead of sna and turn off dri altogether.  The stanza I now have at the bottom of the 90-libinput.conf file is:

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Intel Graphics"
        Driver      "intel"
        Option      "AccelMethod"  "uxa"
        Option      "DRI" "False"
EndSection

My laptops have both Intel integrated graphics as well as discrete cards - but I don't allow the discrete cards to be used at all and rely on the default Intel graphics support (with mesa). If anyone knows whether a particular combination of settings in the plasma systems settings area under the compositing settings will gives acceptable graphics behaviour I would appreciate it. My laptops are Haswell Lenovo machines and in one case the graphics hardware is:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 06)

I have also noticed this problem, but so far I have not seen any glitches after logging in.

I had the same issue on my laptop ( a no name brand), this solved my issue:

- Create a file named 20-intel.conf on /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d

Section "Device"
   Identifier  "Intel Graphics"
   Driver      "intel"
   #Option      "AccelMethod"  "sna"
   Option      "TearFree"    "true" 
   Option      "DRI"    "3" 
EndSection

Solved problem, Thanks

#1777 2016-01-14 21:23:03

mcloaked

Even with tearfree switched on and dri3 I am still getting some screen ui freezes and some programs opening OK but then sometimes having window borders without decorations, so I am now trying the compositor settings with OpenGL 2.0 instead of OpenGL 3.1 but retaining GLX.   Hopefully a new set of patched qt5 packages will be released with some further fixes for graphics problems. I am also going to run some trials with OpenGL 2.0 and EGL instead of GLX.  I'll report back after trying for a day or so with several machines with different hardware (All Intel)

Edit: I now have four machines running with tearfree and dri3 set in xorg, as well as compositing set to use OpenGL 3.1 and EGL - and now getting flawless graphics behaviour.

Last edited by mcloaked (2016-01-15 16:08:18)

Mike C

#1778 2016-01-16 13:16:49

Clouseau

@mcloaked  I have identical problems. I didn't tried switching to EGL but everyhing else, as you tried I have tried also and the problems remain. I have tried in compositer setting to set EGL for OpenGL interface but EGL is not supported by all OpenGL drivers. If not supported the Compositor will be disabled pops up. I have Intel Skylake in i5 6600... How did you enable EGL?

#1779 2016-01-16 14:15:00

Clouseau

Managed to fix it, I had:
Option "DRI" "3"
Option "AccelMethod" "sna"

The first one was causing the problems, DRI 3. Removed it and now all good.

#1780 2016-01-16 15:46:18

mcloaked

Clouseau wrote:

@mcloaked  I have identical problems. I didn't tried switching to EGL but everyhing else, as you tried I have tried also and the problems remain. I have tried in compositer setting to set EGL for OpenGL interface but EGL is not supported by all OpenGL drivers. If not supported the Compositor will be disabled pops up. I have Intel Skylake in i5 6600... How did you enable EGL?

In the compositor settings I selected OpenGL 3.1 and then selected EGL in the line below that - it does give the warning you describe but I chose to continue anyway and it worked fine on the four machines which I have tried this on.  My desktops are IvyBridge and laptops are Haswell - so I don't know how Skylake hardware might behave but this is all pretty new so needs to be tried to see what works. I had understood that it is necessary to set dri3 on but maybe that is not necessary on newer hardware when X starts? I had thought that dri3 was necessary for EGL to work under OpenGL 3.1 but maybe I am wrong?

Last edited by mcloaked (2016-01-16 16:18:24)

Mike C

#1781 2016-01-16 15:58:51

mcloaked

I noticed after recent updates that my kwallet no longer opens automatically on login.  So I checked my file /etc/pam.d/sddm-greeter  and found that the two lines I had added according to the wiki page for sddm had been commented out during one or other recent update:

#%PAM-1.0

# Load environment from /etc/environment and ~/.pam_environment
auth            required pam_env.so

# Always let the greeter start without authentication
auth            required pam_permit.so

# To allow kwallet to open on login
#auth            optional        pam_kwallet5.so

# No action required for account management
account         required pam_permit.so

# Can't change password
password        required pam_deny.so

# Setup session
session         required pam_unix.so
session         optional pam_systemd.so

# To allow kwallet to open on login
#session         optional        pam_kwallet5.so auto_start

So I uncommented them but this caused both shutdown hangs as well as preventing sddm from opening on boot!   So presumably the previous behaviour and requirements for kwallet to open automatically on login have been changed?  Does anyone know the new requirements for what is needed to have kwallet open automatically on login for fully updated plasma systems?

Edit: Flyspray bug added at https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/47788

Edit 2: I realised that this is not a valid bug - I mistakenly put the lines into /etc/pam.d/sddm-greeter instead of /etc/pam.d/sddm - with the lines in the correct file it works fine. Hence I am requesting closure.

Edit 3: It seems that it still does not work so I opened a new report at https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/47794

Edit 4: This was my lack of understanding that it is necessary to unset the "close when the last application stops using it" in the wallet management tool. With this change it all works beautifully. So this is solved.

Last edited by mcloaked (2016-01-16 19:54:58)

Mike C

#1782 2016-01-16 22:39:51

Soukyuu

Hmm. All breeze systray icons seem to choose white or dark version according to the panel desktop theme - except dropbox which always goes by the icon theme.
Any idea how to make it use the white cloud icon when I'm using breeze dark for the panel and the regular breeze for the rest?

[ Arch x86_64 | linux | Framework 13 | AMD Ryzen™ 5 7640U | 32GB RAM | KDE Plasma Wayland ]

#1783 2016-01-17 02:02:17

TheSaint

My systray is not complete. NM, doesn't  show, unless restarting NetworkManager. Klipper die, GTK icons no ways hmm

do it good first, it will be faster than do it twice the saint wink

#1784 2016-01-18 00:06:50

sl1pkn07

i have a problems with gwenview and gif

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/659 … -24-30.mkv

anyone have this problem? or i'm alone..

http://media.giphy.com/media/3oFyD36wrM … /giphy.gif for example

greetings

#1785 2016-01-18 22:09:16

Soukyuu

It's not quite as slow as in your video, but it is slower in gwenview than in photo-qt/chromium for me as well

[ Arch x86_64 | linux | Framework 13 | AMD Ryzen™ 5 7640U | 32GB RAM | KDE Plasma Wayland ]

#1786 2016-01-20 20:00:59

Clouseau

mcloaked wrote:
Clouseau wrote:

In the compositor settings I selected OpenGL 3.1 and then selected EGL in the line below that - it does give the warning you describe but I chose to continue anyway and it worked fine on the four machines which I have tried this on.  My desktops are IvyBridge and laptops are Haswell - so I don't know how Skylake hardware might behave but this is all pretty new so needs to be tried to see what works. I had understood that it is necessary to set dri3 on but maybe that is not necessary on newer hardware when X starts? I had thought that dri3 was necessary for EGL to work under OpenGL 3.1 but maybe I am wrong?

I have found that DRI3 is broken in intel drivers and is disabled default. sna + dri3 no go. It works with glx. But, whatever combination I choose graphical issues arise, especially after monitor going to sleep or just turning it off bt pressing the button...

#1787 2016-01-20 21:53:45

mcloaked

@Clouseau: As far as I can tell it works with some hardware reasonably well but other hardware does not work well. I have occasional plasma freezes where Thunderbird stops responding and it is not possible to get to the menu to quit. Occasionally chrome freezes also, but on a different machine with exactly the same settings there is no problem.  I guess that listing the lspci outpuut for those machines where it works and those where it doesn't won't really help.  I suppose in the end it will be important to file bugs containing as much diagnostic information as possible such as traces, journal log output, Xorg logs, and any specific set of actions that lead to the freeze for when the problems arise. However it seems hard to pinpoint which component of which program or library is triggering the issues. It seems likely that a chain of events is occurring where a program (could be Konsole, or Thunderbird or Chrome or any other program) starts running in plasma, and needs to render some graphical output so relies on plasma/kwin which then uses the underlying qt5/mesa/drivers and tickles a bug giving faulty rendering - but following the chain is not so easy.  If the system is still accessible via ssh then some probing can be done to get at logs. 

It looks like the next qt 5.6 will be released 9th Feb and hopefully reach arch soon afterwards and for mesa the  current upstream which arch has is 11.1.1 - see

ftp://ftp.freedesktop.org/pub/mesa/

So it looks like it will be a few weeks before a new version of mesa is released.  Hopefully when these reach us things will improve.  In the meantime if people can file as many reports upstream as possible with useful diagnostic information included it would help developers to work out where the problems in the code are.

Mike C

#1788 2016-01-24 21:22:53

The Infinity
Website

Do you also have the problem that Qt 5 QFileIconProvider doesn't work under Plasma 5 with any Qt theme?

The effect is that icons in views using QFileSystemModel aren't shown: http://martchus.netai.net/images/screen … -icons.png

Here is how it should look like: http://martchus.netai.net/images/screen … -icons.png
The second screenshot has been captured using XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=GNOME where it apparently works. I've even forced it to use Breeze and it works.

The problem seems to be QFileIconProvider and not QFileSystemModel because

this->setWindowIcon(QFileIconProvider().icon(QFileInfo(QStringLiteral("/run/media"))));

doesn't work either.

Can you reproduce the error?

EDIT: Despite no one could reproduce it, I've opened a bug report here: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=358926

Last edited by The Infinity (2016-02-02 20:11:40)

#1789 2016-01-25 05:19:11

TheSaint

Hi,
I found that sometimes klipper dies. Where may I look at for logs, reports ?

do it good first, it will be faster than do it twice the saint wink

#1790 2016-01-28 09:46:57

Tromzy

Is there a way to test the latest advancements in Kwin and Wayland on Arch ? Maybe with Kwin-git from AUR or something ?

Also, Alt + Tab window switcher does not work anymore on 5.5.4 ?

Last edited by Tromzy (2016-01-28 13:04:28)

#1791 2016-01-28 14:05:16

SanskritFritz
Website

Tromzy wrote:

Also, Alt + Tab window switcher does not work anymore on 5.5.4 ?

It does work, only the first keypress is not working after login, at least here. Subsequent alt-tabbing works.

zʇıɹɟʇıɹʞsuɐs AUR || Cycling in Budapest with a helmet camera || Revised log levels proposal: "FYI" "WTF" and "OMG" (John Barnette)

#1792 2016-01-28 14:30:52

Tromzy

Yeah, it worked after reboot, for some reason the combination Alt + any key would not work (but it did after reboot).

#1793 2016-01-28 19:54:17

stathisq

HI, I just made a clean install of Arch Linux on my new Desktop...
The problem is that in plasma almost everything crashes all the time...
Most of times, if i try to apply any settings, it leads me to a Seg fault.
System Settings crashes with:
Executable: systemsettings5 PID: 8876 Signal: Segmentation fault (11)
Dolphin randomly crashes with:
Executable: dolphin PID: 8959 Signal: Segmentation fault (11)
Even when i log, almost everything crashes...(plasmashell,krunner etc,).

Any ideas what is going wrong?
My CPU is i5 6600k
my GPU Nvidia 960 gtx with proprietary drivers...

#1794 2016-01-28 21:15:47

arojas
Developer

stathisq wrote:

Any ideas what is going wrong?

Not unless you give a backtrace

#1795 2016-01-29 08:25:19

V1del
Forum Moderator

@stathisq Known issue with skylake processor and prop nvidia drivers, see e.g. https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 2#p1597622 for more info

Last edited by V1del (2016-01-29 08:26:27)

#1796 2016-01-29 15:01:30

Tromzy

Tromzy wrote:

Is there a way to test the latest advancements in Kwin and Wayland on Arch ? Maybe with Kwin-git from AUR or something ?

I think I might have my answer here...

http://jriddell.org/2016/01/29/kde-neon … s-weekend/

#1797 2016-01-31 01:57:03

zanny
Website

If anyone is interested, I've adopted and updated all the AUR telepathy-kde packages. If you want to have a gander and have an AUR helper, you can use the metapackage.

I've brought back the call-ui package, even though its still broken. I'm going to try fixing a ton of bugs in KTP in general this next month including the call-ui, so testers are appreciated. I really want to try to get upstream support for Tox and Matrix as my big ticket items.

Last edited by zanny (2016-01-31 01:57:36)

#1798 2016-01-31 03:21:27

LucetLux

I have a problem with dolphin, I can't change the application preference order for any file type.
After changing the settings (for example, move Clementine above vlc in mp3 files) a progress bar appears and then it resets back to the original settings.
Any idea as to why this is happening?

edit: Nevermind it decided to work now... that was rather random.

Last edited by LucetLux (2016-01-31 03:27:55)

#1799 2016-01-31 18:48:02

sunnylx

When starting Konsole now, it just hangs consume a lot of CPU and show no prompt. It just shows a blank window, and after a while it shows the menu bar, nothing else.

I've deleted the Konsole configuration files and same thing. Any ideas?

#1800 2016-01-31 23:49:40

fresh

Hi, first post here.
Does anyone else have this issue with KDE's (or Dolphin's ?) overwrite dialog?

http://i.imgur.com/4Yta3bh.png

It's been some time since I last used KDE on Arch and in general, but I'm certain this dialog used to have information for both source and destination in that void between the file paths and the rename part, such as previews or sizes. It's a minor issue, but still a little annoying for me sad. I just want to know whether anyone else has this problem here and if I'm missing a package or something. I also found a thread which describes the same problem here, but that was apparently an issue of kdelibs not being built against nepomuk, which is obsolete now.

Board footer