You are not logged in.

#1 2014-07-20 08:54:02

PeterBell

[Solved] CUPS installed, but cannot get applications to recognise prin

I've installed CUPS (originally v1.7.3, but since upgraded to v1.7.4), following the Wiki guidance, and installed a couple of network printers.  From the CUPS web interface I can print test pages so I believe that the CUPS/print driver installation has been successful.

However, I am totally unable to get any application to recognise the printers.

For instance, if I select 'Print' from gedit I am offered 'Print to File' and 'duerqxesz5090'.  This latter string does not match either of the two printers I have installed - an HP CLJ 3800dtn, and a Brother MFC-8880DN.  If I click on the strange name, the Status reports 'Getting printer information...' for ever.

If I try to print from Thunderbird, I am offered 'Print to File' and nothing else.

I installed the 'Printer Settings' utility and if I try to run that it reports a 'CUPS server error' - 'server-error-version-not-supported'.

If I invoke the lpstat command, it reports 'lpstat: Error - add '/version=1.1' to server name.'
If I add '-h localhost:631/version=1.1' to the lpstat command, then my printers are reported.

I guess that this version=1.1 is needed for other apps requiring to print, but I don't know how to add it - can anyone help me?

I have searched the wiki and the forum for CUPS and version=1.1 but haven't found anything useful.  I've never had a problem using these printers with Ubuntu.

Last edited by PeterBell (2014-07-20 23:10:48)

#2 2014-07-20 10:30:11

emeres

Re: [Solved] CUPS installed, but cannot get applications to recognise prin

Try exporting CUPS_SERVER in the shell (you could try using ~/.profile for this):

export CUPS_SERVER=localhost:631/version=1.1

Or edit the cupds configuration at /etc/cups/client.conf:

ServerName localhost:631/version=1.1

Found this information here. Might be outdated, not applicable for your case or simply completely useless now.

#3 2014-07-20 10:37:04

PeterBell

Re: [Solved] CUPS installed, but cannot get applications to recognise prin

I know that it's bad form to follow up on my own post, but ....

I found a solution to my problem - I don't know whether it is the correct/best solution, but I've now managed to print from three applications and the Printer Settings utility now works, as does lpstat, without having to respecify the server name,.

What I did was to add:

ServerName localhost:631/version=1.1

to the /etc/cups/client.conf file.

I am posting this in the hope that it will help someone else find the solution quicker than I managed to!

PS.  Thanks for your response, Emeres, you posted as I was constructing my post!

Last edited by PeterBell (2014-07-20 10:38:57)

Board footer