You are not logged in.

#1 2014-07-20 15:01:38

Krzychu

Thinkpad E330 - problem with TLP: tp_smapi not inserted

I installed TLP following this guide: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/TLP
Looks like everything is working fine, unluckily I can't check for sure. Still. I'm having some output errors.

systemctl restart tlp
thinkpad_ec: thinpad_ec.read_row: failed requesting row: (0x01:0x00)->0xfffffff0
thinkpad_ec: initial ec test failed
thinkpad_ec: thinpad_ec.read_row: failed requesting row: (0x01:0x00)->0xfffffff0
acpi_call: Cannot get handle: Error: AE_NOT_FOUND [i](20 lines of that acpi_call)[/i]
systemctl restart tlp-sleep
[root@machinename ~]# thinkpad_ec: thinpad_ec.read_row: failed requesting row: (0x01:0x00)->0xfffffff0
_ [i](blinking, after pressing enter I can work normally)[/i]

Error while plugging/unplugging AC:

Same errors when i run tlp start and tlp setcharge but between errors i have outoput that everything is okay (like "TLP started in ac mode"; "Setting temporary charge thresholds for BAT0:"; correct values for threshold, "Done.").
On this laptop, but running Linux Mint I never received any error outputs while starting tlp. I'm wondering if I have to edit initcpio or GRUB.

These errors are only after installation of tp_smapi and acpi_call. Without them there are no errors, but I can't change battery thresholds.

After a little research:

systemctl --failed
UNIT                                            LOAD  ACTIVE SUB   DESCRIPTION
systemd-modules-load.service loaded failed failed Load Kernel Modules
journalctl -b _PID=181
Inserted module 'acpi_call'
Failed to insert 'tp_smapi': No such device or address

Last edited by Krzychu (2014-07-20 19:28:14)

#2 2014-07-24 19:31:19

linrunner

Re: Thinkpad E330 - problem with TLP: tp_smapi not inserted

Hi!

1. Short answer

Those kernel messages you show represent no problem at all. You may safely ignore them.

2. Long answer

a. The messages "thinkpad_ec: ..." are because tp-smapi doesn't work with the E330, only acpi-call. Because it is actually very difficult to write brief instructions on which ThinkPad model you need tp-smapi and/or acpi_call – and it is even much more difficult for most users to understand them – I chose to instruct to install both packages for all models.

b. The message "acpi_call: Cannot get handle: Error: AE_NOT_FOUND (20 lines of that acpi_call)" is unavoidable and stems from the heuristic tpacpi-bat uses to determine the correct "ACPI address" --> https://github.com/linrunner/tpacpi-bat … 4638aa2421

c. You should never need to issue "systemctl restart tlp / tlp-sleep". These services are only needed for system start/shutdown and suspend/resume. Please use the commands from TLP's manual.

Last edited by linrunner (2014-07-24 19:32:03)

#3 2014-07-26 09:48:58

Krzychu

Re: Thinkpad E330 - problem with TLP: tp_smapi not inserted

Now I see, thanks. I actually like to experiment and I uninstalled tp-smapi. Works as it should work, two error line messages less. Other way: (removing acpi-call and having tp-smapi) doesn't support my laptop.
Maybe later I will also experiment with acpi_call to get rid of pointless calls for my laptop.

c) Sure, thanks! smile

Seems like before I had these errors too, but they don't show on terminal - they show on tty.

Unsolved, but everything is clear, can be closed, thanks for reply smile

Board footer