You are not logged in.

#1 2014-07-21 11:07:04

Devenda

Trouble installing GRUB on Windows dualboot

When trying to install GRUB I ran into some problems:

I followed the instructions  found on the wiki for a UEFI system.

But I got stuck on:

First, mount the ESP at your preferred mountpoint (usually /boot/efi, hereafter referred to as $esp).

I found that there was no EFI entry in fstab:

#
# /etc/fstab: static file system information
#
# <file system> <dir>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
# /dev/sda5
UUID=c1822e3c-e037-4445-bdd8-b71778237dee       /               ext4            rw,relatime,data=ordered        0 1

# /dev/sda2 LABEL=SYSTEM_DRV
UUID=D2DF-9F74          /boot           vfat            rw,relatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro    0 2

# /dev/sda5
#UUID=c1822e3c-e037-4445-bdd8-b71778237dee      /               ext4            rw,relatime,data=ordered        0 1

# /dev/sda2 LABEL=SYSTEM_DRV
#UUID=D2DF-9F74         /boot           vfat            rw,relatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro    0 2

I than manually changed /boot to /boot/efi and was able to mount /boot/efi

but than

grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=$esp --bootloader-id=grub --recheck --debug

gave:

Installing for x86_64-efi platform.
grub-install: info: cannot open `/boot/grub/device.map': No such file or directory.
grub-install: error: failed to get canonical path of `'.

I would normally search further on the Internet/experiment on my own but this seemed to risky and I do not want to lose my windows boot entry.

#2 2014-07-21 12:29:26

sugartest

Re: Trouble installing GRUB on Windows dualboot

Did you just try changing "$esp" to

/boot/efi

?
Or refering to the whole UEFI documentation here ?
Maybe your case is quite specific and harware / UEFI implementation related if so check here.
Your problem might be related to one of these cases.

Silly question here:
How come that that there's 2 "vfat" partitions and two of each /dev/sdaX in your fstab?

Anyway if there was no UEFI partition you have to CREATE one from what I understood since you have to mount it, relocating it in a subfolder of the /boot isn't the solution to your problem.

I hope I was of some help.

Last edited by sugartest (2014-07-21 12:38:58)

An Arch Linux enthousiast and a Linux fan in general, mostly interrested in command line use, security issues, code learning and networks.

#3 2014-07-21 12:49:26

Devenda

sugartest wrote:

Did you just try changing "$esp" to

/boot/efi

?
Or refering to the whole UEFI documentation here ?
Maybe your case is quite specific and harware / UEFI implementation related if so check here.
Your problem might be related to one of these cases.

Silly question here:
How come that that there's 2 "vfat" partitions and two of each /dev/sdaX in your fstab?

Anyway if there was no UEFI partition you have to CREATE one from what I understood since you have to mount it, relocating it in a subfolder of the /boot isn't the solution to your problem.

I hope I was of some help.

With:

mount /boot/efi /boot/efi

I just get:

mount:  /boot/efi is not a block device

I commented the other entries out, I think I did something wrong when installing and ended up with duplicated entries.

#4 2014-07-21 13:17:39

loqs

Did you set $esp to /boot/efi?
If you want the ESP mounted at /boot/efi change the fstab entry to /boot/efi from /boot
unmount /dev/sda2 from /boot
mkdir /boot/efi
mount /dev/sda2 /boot/efi
move from /boot/efi back to /boot the following: vmlinuz-linux initramfs-linux.img initramfs-linux-fallback.img ( anything related to grub )
repeat the grub-install with either $esp set or replace $esp with /boot/efi
Edit:
Its probably better to remove anything grub related, regenerate the config and let grub-install copy the needed files to the correct locations

Last edited by loqs (2014-07-21 13:25:44)

#5 2014-07-21 13:41:36

Devenda

loqs wrote:

Did you set $esp to /boot/efi?
If you want the ESP mounted at /boot/efi change the fstab entry to /boot/efi from /boot
unmount /dev/sda2 from /boot
mkdir /boot/efi
mount /dev/sda2 /boot/efi
move from /boot/efi back to /boot the following: vmlinuz-linux initramfs-linux.img initramfs-linux-fallback.img ( anything related to grub )
repeat the grub-install with either $esp set or replace $esp with /boot/efi
Edit:
Its probably better to remove anything grub related, regenerate the config and let grub-install copy the needed files to the correct locations

I thought /boot/efi already existed (but can't check because cd boot gives me a permission denied). Isn't this where the windows boot entry resides?
Will any of the listed commands harm my windows installation?

Last edited by Devenda (2014-07-21 13:41:50)

#6 2014-07-21 13:50:26

loqs

The Windows boot files should exist on the ESP.  If the ESP is mounted at /boot/efi the Windows files would be under /boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot.
Odd that you can not cd to /boot even if you were not attempting it as root
None of the commands is designed to harm the Windows installation but I can not guarantee it.
I personally would use refind instead as the boot loader as I find that simpler to manage than grub but both should work without damage Windows.

#7 2014-07-21 13:54:30

Devenda

Strangely I have these two entries in /proc/mounts:

/dev/sda2 /boot vfat rw,relatime,fmask=0077,dmask=0077,codepage=437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro 0 0
/dev/sda2 /boot/efi vfat rw,relatime,fmask=0077,dmask=0077,codepage=437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro 0 0

#8 2014-07-21 13:56:07

Devenda

loqs wrote:

The Windows boot files should exist on the ESP.  If the ESP is mounted at /boot/efi the Windows files would be under /boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot.
None of the commands is designed to harm the Windows installation but I can not guarantee it.
I personally would use refind instead as the boot loader as I find that simpler to manage than grub but both should work without damage Windows.

I was able to cd to boot after

sudo su

and found boot containing those files and also containing /efi (which also contained those files).

#9 2014-07-21 13:58:48

Devenda

loqs wrote:

Is installing rEFInd really that easy as the wiki says it is?

Install refind-efi from the Official repositories. Then run

# refind-install

This should detect your kernel and EFI system partition, copy any necessary files to the ESP, create default configuration files, and set rEFInd as the default UEFI boot entry.

#10 2014-07-21 14:00:38

loqs

From that you have /dev/sda2 mounted twice at /boot then within itself at /boot/efi
After umounting both of these mounts

umount /boot/efi
umount /boot

Then you can mount /dev/sda2 at /boot/efi,  creating /boot/efi if needed
/boot/efi will then contain the combined contents of the old /boot and /boot/efi which is why I was suggesting some files will need to be moved back into /boot

#11 2014-07-21 14:10:46

Devenda

loqs wrote:

From that you have /dev/sda2 mounted twice at /boot then within itself at /boot/efi
After umounting both of these mounts

umount /boot/efi
umount /boot

Then you can mount /dev/sda2 at /boot/efi,  creating /boot/efi if needed
/boot/efi will then contain the combined contents of the old /boot and /boot/efi which is why I was suggesting some files will need to be moved back into /boot

Many thanks for the help!
As you said I just installed rEFIned which was extremely easy and works perfectly!

Last edited by Devenda (2014-07-21 14:10:59)

Board footer