You are not logged in.

#1 2014-07-21 15:56:06

NaOHman

Laptop stops charging

Recently my laptop has stopped charging while plugged in. If I unplug the power cord and plug it back in it starts charging again as if nothing was wrong. I'm not certain that it's a software issue, but when I charge it with the power off there are no issues. It also drops from reading 50% to 3% almost instantaneously. After the laptop stops charging acpi reports the battery state as usual but lists the status as discharging and the laptop does loose power.

Additionally the light on my laptop for power turns off when this happens but the charger plugged in light stays on.

I would appreciate any and all advice.

#2 2014-07-21 17:22:03

dice

Re: Laptop stops charging

Just to understand it correctly: You plug in your power supply and it works fine for some time and then suddenly the charging stops?

Your cable may be broken.

I put at button on it. Yes. I wish to press it, but I'm not sure what will happen if I do.  (Gune | Titan A.E.)

#3 2014-07-21 17:48:48

emeres

Check the power supply by slightly bending its cable into all directions on the whole length while plugged securely in the laptop. Check the connector and the socket on the laptop. Should the charging status change at some specific position, it probably is the cable/connector.

This does look more like an issue with the battery itself. How long do you have it? How do you use it? Always charging? Do you clean the laptop from the inside often? Did you drop the laptop or was it in extreme conditions (cold/hot)?

To test the software side I would simply boot a live medium like Linux Mint and see how the laptop and charger behave.

#4 2014-07-21 17:57:07

NaOHman

The problem is not the charger, I've use it on a friend's computer and it works fine. My laptop has been dropped but nothing recently. Another interesting thing is that when I unplug the cable leading to the brick of the charger, wait a few seconds and plug it back in, it starts charging but never at any time does the light on the brick indicating that it's plugged in go off.

I'll try the live distro as soon as I get home.

Last edited by NaOHman (2014-07-21 18:14:15)

#5 2014-07-21 18:18:28

ewaller
Administrator

You did not mention the brand of laptop.  Many brands use the traditional 2 conductor barrel connector with (typically) the return on the outside and the positive supply on the inside.  The voltages are usually in the high teens and low twenty volts.  Some brands (cough)Dell(Cough) have magic three pin connectors.  The third pin is poorly documented, but data are exchanged between the charger and the laptop.  Important things like voltage, current, and authentication to ensure you don't try to use an "Unauthorized" accessory.

Can you tell us a bit more about your system?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#6 2014-07-21 18:21:57

NaOHman

It's a toshiba satellite P755 I did order a replacement charger a while ago after I had similar problems with an old charger though the charger eventually stopped working. Do you think the problem is with the unlicensed charger?

#7 2014-07-21 18:24:16

ewaller
Administrator

My beloved Toshiba that went to the cloud in the sky had a two conductor barrel connector and was a simple (IIRC) 20 VDC supply -- no smarts. What does your connector look like?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---

#8 2014-07-21 18:29:12

NaOHman

The brick gets power from a three pin connector and the jack is a typical 5.5 connection with nothing fancy. I guess I should also add that the problem stops when my laptop reaches 60-70% charge.

#9 2014-07-21 18:37:39

ewaller
Administrator

That third pin is not really required for charging, but is used to convey feedback one way or the other.  It could be an analog signal, but is likely a digital signal, and may include authentication nonsense.  It really is not nonsense, the manufacturers are justifiably concerned about safety and want to ensure that if they draw any significant current that the power supply is up to the task.  That is why they wan to know that they are talking to a "known" supply.   If the supply is not a Toshiba supply intended for your unit, that could be the root cause.

Do you have the ability to run Windows?  The Toshiba software that came with the OEM OS that shipped with your laptop might be able to provide you with better diagnostics.

---

#10 2014-07-21 18:42:18

emeres

He means the power plug has 3 pins. The third one is PE, the first two depending on where you are, are named L1 and N.

Edit: I misread both posts. Sorry.

Edit: Reread again and its may seem like he meant both connectors have 3 pins, but apparently not. Maybe it is the weather.

Last edited by emeres (2014-07-21 19:46:52)

#11 2014-07-21 19:20:28

ewaller
Administrator

emeres wrote:

He means the power plug has 3 pins. The third one is PE, the first two depending on where you are, are named L1 and N.

Doh!   I was focused on the laptop connector and missed the obvious sad

I was sure that Toshiba still used the two connector barrel.  I guess it does.

---

#12 2014-07-22 09:10:04

emeres

NaOHman do you have the possibility to test your battery in another laptop or test another battery in your laptop? Charging cycle included. You could also try running the laptop without a battery, see how it performs. Since you admitted to dropping it: when you shake the laptop, does it make sounds or do you feel anything moving inside? That should rule out hardware aspects mentioned so far. Is the laptop[s battery] of your friend, that you tested the charger with, the same model as yours or just similar? If you know how and have a voltmeter, at least measure the voltage output of the charger and compare with its specifications on the label.

Did you try a live distribution or Windows?

#13 2014-07-23 14:13:24

NaOHman

I borrowed a different charger and it works just fine. It appears that the charger was the culprit all allong. Thanks for your help everyone.

Board footer