You are not logged in.

#1 2014-07-22 07:53:49

mrkernelpanic

Using ssh as Teamviewer - Possible with non static IPs?

Hello,

my mum needs a pc and internet, and because she is not very knowing of this stuff yet, I thought of installing her a linux and helping her out via ssh when needed.
No my question is: Is it possible to set up a ssh session via two "home pcs", meaning they have a regular internet connection and so no static IPs? Can I simply set up a connection if I know her IP? Do I need extra services/knowledge?
I don not have much experience with ssh, I just use it occasionaly to connect to the universities pcs from home, but the internet in my dorm is provided by the university, so we are kind of on the same network. So forgive me if my question is noobish, however I did not find any noob-guides on this topic.

Thanks very much!

#2 2014-07-22 10:04:16

Slithery
Administrator

Re: Using ssh as Teamviewer - Possible with non static IPs?

Set up a dynamic DNS service on your mums router so that it always has a fixed hostname, even when the IP address changes.

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#3 2014-07-22 13:41:53

smirky
Website

Re: Using ssh as Teamviewer - Possible with non static IPs?

I'd use autossh daemon that makes a remote port forwarding tunnel to my PC when connected to the internet. That way I can ssh or whatever to the computer no matter the IP. Just keep in mind that if you use port forwarding through ssh, there will be a double encryption traffic. Recently I was using this only for ssh, but now I use it also to activate and connect to a VNC server on the remote machine.

Personal spot  ::  https://www.smirky.net/  ::  Try not to get lost!

Board footer