#1 2014-07-22 17:38:07

qinohe

[Solved]using 'make oldconfig'

Hi, I'm running my own kernel (mainline) ,  when rebuild, I use this order:

sudo /usr/bin/modprobed-db recall
make localmodconfig
make oldconfig
make nconfig

Now I come to the conclusion, things ain't the way I think they supposed to be.
When F.I.  ISDN support was removed from the previous kernel, shouldn't this be left out using 'make oldconfig'?
Because every time I edit the config with nconfig, these things are still present, and I remove them , again.
Now, I'm sure this ain't how it's supposed to be , am I doing something wrong ?
Thanks qinohe

Last edited by qinohe (2014-07-23 12:05:04)

#2 2014-07-22 17:56:49

lolilolicon

Re: [Solved]using 'make oldconfig'

qinohe wrote:

Hi, I'm running my own kernel (mainline) ,  when rebuild, I use this order:

sudo /usr/bin/modprobed-db recall

Does this `modprobe` a list of modules? It's probably unnecessary, as you can:

make LSMOD=<insert path to file> localmodconfig

where file contains a list of modules, or is an executable that outputs such a list.

qinohe wrote:

make localmodconfig
make oldconfig
make nconfig

Now I come to the conclusion, things ain't the way I think they supposed to be.
When F.I.  ISDN support was removed from the previous kernel, shouldn't this be left out using 'make oldconfig'?

Depends on what your ".config" file looks like at the time you run `make oldconfig`.

qinohe wrote:

Because every time I edit the config with nconfig, these things are still present, and I remove them , again.

Do you have the file ".config" in the directory when you run `make localmodconfig`? If so, did you remember to update the file from which this file is copied? Alternatively, you can bypass creating ".config" before `make localmodconfig`, in which case /proc/config.gz will be used as a base.

Last edited by lolilolicon (2014-07-22 17:58:51)

This silver ladybug at line 28...

#3 2014-07-22 18:20:54

qinohe

Re: [Solved]using 'make oldconfig'

lolilolicon wrote:

Does this `modprobe` a list of modules? It's probably unnecessary, as you can:

make LSMOD=<insert path to file> localmodconfig

where file contains a list of modules, or is an executable that outputs such a list.

Ah, that's a nice one, gonna use it. Yes, it's Modprobed-db, a tool that keeps track off all modules ever used on the system, I could uninstall it, I know all modules, and can add one to the list myself if necessary.

Depends on what your ".config" file looks like at the time you run `make oldconfig`.

Probably not the edited config, but the new one.

Do you have the file ".config" in the directory when you run `make localmodconfig`? If so, did you remember to update the file from which this file is copied? Alternatively, you can bypass creating ".config" before `make localmodconfig`, in which case /proc/config.gz will be used as a base.

A new one is in 'src' but not in the the 'build dir. Should I copy the old config to it?
I need to create me a nice work flow for this, gonna try a few sequences, and check which is the best for me to use, thanks.

edit:adding this line before-  solved it all,

zcat /proc/config.gz > ~/builds/abs/core/linux/src/${_srcname}/.config

Thanks again lolilolicon wink

Last edited by qinohe (2014-07-23 12:05:55)

Board footer