You are not logged in.

#1 2014-07-25 03:37:05

zanny
Website

DRI PRIME failing to offload from discrete to integrated

Up until recently I have been doing PRIME is the "classic" way - all my display ins into the integrated, with my 7870 on radeonSI as the offload.

However, the primary reason for offloading in general (games) means that half the time the offloading process means <insert x broken game> won't work with PRIME, while it will work fine when booting with the discrete card as my sole accelerator.

So I thought, I could simply things by running kwin and all my desktop applications as offloaded programs on the integrated GPU, while anything else I run uses the discrete "primary" card and any shitty coding doesn't mean it won't work, or would have to run on hd4600 integrated.

Of course, all good ideas eventually go to hell.

xrandr --listproviders
Providers: number : 2
Provider 0: id: 0x94 cap: 0xf, Source Output, Sink Output, Source Offload, Sink Offload crtcs: 6 outputs: 4 associated providers: 0 name:radeon
Provider 1: id: 0x49 cap: 0xb, Source Output, Sink Output, Sink Offload crtcs: 4 outputs: 6 associated providers: 0 name:Intel
xrandr --setprovideroffloadsink Intel radeon
X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  140 (RANDR)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  34 ()
  Value in failed request:  0x49
  Serial number of failed request:  16
  Current serial number in output stream:  17

Xorg Log
DRM Dmesg

I found a nice thread on here already about a similar topic as well.

I'm assuming its because Intel integrated doesn't have "source offload" capabilities. Is that accurate? If so I can make a feature request on the i915 bug tracker, since I already looked for one. Because I have no idea where to look to enable offloading onto my integrated chip. I guess the only other thing of note is that in order to even see the integrated chip in xrandr I have to have the firmware setting on my Asus board called "igpu multi monitor" enabled. No matter what I only ever see the display out modelines of one of my parts at a time, though - either the integrated or discrete, whatever I have prioritized in the firmware. But that is tangential to this problem.

Last edited by zanny (2014-07-25 03:38:28)

Board footer