Re: Arch Review in Linux Magazine

Frumpus addict
[mu'.krum.pus], [frum.pus]

#3 2006-02-02 17:54:17

kth5
Website

a bit outdated isn't it? smile

I recognize that while theory and practice are, in theory, the same, they are, in practice, different. -Mark Mitchell

#4 2006-02-02 18:12:06

postlogic
Website

It's still a very well-written article. Shows a lot of Arch's features and how to get started using it. I won't be suprised if we get more users because of it ;-)

#5 2006-02-02 18:57:46

jaboua

postlogic wrote:

It's still a very well-written article. Shows a lot of Arch's features and how to get started using it. I won't be suprised if we get more users because of it ;-)

I first decided to try Arch after stumbling over it at distrowatch.com, googling it and end up reading "the big arch linux interview" at osnews.com --> downloading 0.7.0 ISO...

#6 2006-02-02 19:28:42

Snarkout

It's Dan Dennedy's (of kino and mlt fame) fault I'm using it.  His interview on TLLTS convinced me to try it, and I knew quickly it was what I'd been looking for.

Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.
-Albert Einstein

#7 2006-02-02 19:37:06

iBertus

HA! That GNOME screenie on page 46 is mine! Taken straight from the art.archlinux.org! I'm famous!

#8 2006-02-02 23:56:23

Eliatamby

I really wish some other mags would focus on Arch (and other interesting distro's) in their publications.

In Aust the most easily available Linux mag is Linux User and Developer (UK).  A few months ago they had OpenSolaris, which was nice, but invariably it's Fedora, Suse, OpenSuse, and this week, yet again, Ubuntu...

#9 2006-02-03 14:55:45

jondkent

Guys,

Glad to see that the feedback so far is positive big_smile

Yup, as some of you may know I'm the guy that wrote it, quite a while back (~3 months ago), so let me know what you think.

Cheers

Jon

#10 2006-02-03 14:56:59

jondkent

iBertus wrote:

HA! That GNOME screenie on page 46 is mine! Taken straight from the art.archlinux.org! I'm famous!

Obviously the LM editor liked it, as he picked out all of the screenshots

Jon

#11 2006-02-03 15:18:13

hackmeister
Website

Snarkout wrote:

It's Dan Dennedy's (of kino and mlt fame) fault I'm using it.  His interview on TLLTS convinced me to try it, and I knew quickly it was what I'd been looking for.

Dan Dennedy and Judland were the ones who turned me onto Arch Linux. So far I'm running it on my laptop and main workstation. If I ever upgrade (hardware wise) my blog server I will install Arch on it.

FYI, Judd will be our guest on next week's show:
http://www.tllts.info/calendar/calendar … 6&month=02

I'm really looking forward to interviewing him.

http://tllts.org - The Linux Link Tech Show

#12 2006-02-04 18:39:17

lilsirecho
Veteran

A follow up article might reference the number of AUR packages already available as submitted by users. And as well, the PKGBUILD request capability which provides "helping hands" in making packages.

Also, the archck contributions enabling "bleeding edge" applications with alternative kernels.

Also, mention the Forums which are alive and well, helpful in every respect, with competent maintainers. 

Lastly, the levels of package distributions, current, extra,testing, community, and shadowhand(any more?).

Happy to see you were able to get the essentials included and urge a sequel article(keep the fires burning).  Well written, man big_smile

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#13 2006-02-05 14:03:26

hotsauce

good review, good exposure, all good thanx

#14 2006-02-05 19:04:36

Moparx
Website

That was definitely a well-written article. Hopefully it will bring in the people who were sitting on the fence in regards to trying the distro out.

And then it happened... a door opened to a world... rushing through the phone line like heroin through an addict's veins, an electronic pulse is sent out, a refuge from the day-to-day incompetencies is sought... a board is found.
        "This is it... this is where I belong..."

Arch Linux x86_64 | LiCo #213644 | blog / configs

#15 2006-02-06 23:57:08

jstech

Good article, I sent it to two friends--including the guy who got me into Linux three years ago (he still uses Mandrake, to my knowledge). 

I just thought it was rather brief on pacman, which is the pride of Arch.  Installing and updating software is both easy and worry-free.  I switched to Ubuntu for about a month, and after I updated some package, X would not run.  I started to look at the error logs, and went, "Screw it, it'd be easier to reinstall Arch."

#16 2006-02-07 00:22:41

desertViking

Yup, as some of you may know I'm the guy that wrote it, quite a while back (~3 months ago), so let me know what you think.

Hi Jon,

Thank-you for investing your time this way!  I thought you did a great job.  It was nice to see something other than just an installation review.  Many editors seem to spend too much time on this topic.

The real test comes in living with a distro, IMHO.  Arch is has been great in this regard, and your article brought some of the reasons for this into focus for other users not familiar with Arch.

I forwarded the article to colleagues that I am trying to influence, and posted it on the bulletin board in my office. 

It's good to see press about Arch Linux.  Wish there were more!

"In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is."

#17 2006-02-07 22:36:35

jondkent

All,

Thanks for the positive feedback, glad you seem to like it  big_smile

You'd be supprised how easy it can be to write articles for Linux magazines.  I've been writing for a few years now, on and off, mostly for Linux Format.  But it can be as easy as just posting an idea to the editor (you usually find a link somewhere on their web site) and if they like it you might get commissioned.  Thats how the Linux Magazine article happened.

It, therefore, should be possible to get something into Linux Journal, Linux Format and GNU/Linux User and Developer.  You'll find Linux Format have very short deadlines whilst the rest seem to be longer (~4-6 weeks).

I'd say that something interesting from one of the devs will get Linux Journal interested as thats their position, poss dito GNU/Linux User and Developer.  Linux Format might be interested in a basic review.

Worth a try anyway that for sure.  Let me know if any of you plan to do this and don't flood these guys with offers, they'll get ignored.  Else I'll see if I can do another one for one of them.  Let discuss here :?:

Jon

Board footer