You are not logged in.

#1 2014-08-04 16:06:17

Burning_aces

UEFI from USB with full disk encrytpion + windows OS query

Hey guys,
Wanting to set up Arch on my laptop - ASUS ROG G750JX, I have been trying to think of a reason that I'm keeping windows on it and I can't really think of one.
I've run arch before, but this time I thought I would do things right and have it set up rather securely with the boot partition on a USB and having the drives fully encrypted.
This brings me to the reason I'm posting this, which is that I have a few questions are some areas I need pointing in the right direction for, before I start this process, and figuring out if the setup I'm looking at will actually work or if I need to change things.
First and foremost, according to this wiki entry, https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ASUS_G750JH in the UEFI section, he states he is using Syslinux. I'm wanting to put my boot partition on a USB drive, I'm unsure if it is better if I do this using GRUB or Syslinux or Gummiboot etc as I'm unsure which is really the better option. I've used syslinux before and GRUB-Legacy before though.
Also, would the UEFI system partition go on the USB as that would also have to be left unencrypted correct?

I would also like to have the hard drives fully encrypted, how ever I was curious if it is a possibility to keep a small partition, preferably encrypted, to have Windows on, and also if it were possible to have 2 passwords to access the encrypted systems, eg one boots to Windows, the other to Arch. This is just a desirable plan, which I'd assume possibly wouldn't work at all.

I was also thinking if that is a terrible idea I can just turn my current Windows system into a VM and boot it in Virtual box when ever I should need it.

In regards to the full system disk encryption, I was wondering whether I should use plain DM-crypt, Dm-crypt with LUKS or LUKS on LVM, since there are 2 separate hard drives I wasn't sure.

Also, some other queries I had in regards to the partition setup - would you guys by default set your system up as follows
32GB of Ram so I was thinking I wouldn't need a /SWAP or a SWAPFILE, correct?
256GB SSD
1.5TB HDD
I'm hoping my current idea of where each partition should go is correct;
UEFI System partition - USB
/Boot - USB
/ - 256GB SSD
/var - unsure
/home - unsure
/Data - 1.5TB HDD

Also, I was planning on using BTFRS for the file system for all drives, apart potentially having an eCryptfs/EncFS partition/drive space that can be mounted when needed, or the idea at least of having something like a truecrypt partition/hidden partition but not using truecrypt..

Hopefully someone can help, will bump this due to the update of this
Thanks

Last edited by Burning_aces (2014-08-05 12:08:59)

#2 2014-08-05 12:16:59

Burning_aces

Re: UEFI from USB with full disk encrytpion + windows OS query

Shameful self bump, just looking to get assistance with this. Would love to start using arch again ASAP over windows.

Board footer