You are not logged in.

#1 2014-08-05 00:17:01

Somnus

Lua rex_pcre issue

Hello everyone. I'm having an issue with the program Mudlet and lua playing nicely together. I'm asking around on the Mudlet forums as well, but don't seem to be getting anywhere fast so I thought I'd bring it here.

When I load up the program, I get the following error:

[ ERROR ] cannot find Lua module rex_pcre. Some functions may not be available.
Lua error:error loading module 'rex_pcre' from file '/usr/lib/lua/5.1/rex_pcre.
so':
	/usr/lib/lua/5.1/rex_pcre.so: undefined symbol: luaL_setfuncs

the .so file IS there, but I'm not sure what the undefined symbol might mean.

Thank you in advance!

#2 2014-08-05 00:22:14

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: Lua rex_pcre issue

My first thought is that there is a version mismatch.  If mudlet expects a version of rex_pcre other than what you have, and that version had a function called luaL_setfuncs, but your current version does not - this would lead to this error.  You can check the symbols (e.g. functions) available in that lib file with the following:

objdump -T /usr/lib/lua/5.1/rex_pcre.so

and perhaps grep for luaL_setfuncs to check/confirm that it's not there.

I have never used these libs though, so I have no idea if this is a new function or a deprecated one that has been dropped ... or perhaps just as likely my whole suspicion could be way off - but double check what version mudlet should depend on, and what version you have.

EDIT: I was about to add that all mudlet packages are flagged out-of-date, but I noticed you've been active in the AUR comments on them, so I gather you know this.  Which mudlet package are you using?  If you are using the current git build, you may need to ensure you have a development version of rex-pcre (guessing).

Last edited by Trilby (2014-08-05 00:26:17)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2014-08-05 00:57:53

Somnus

I'm assuming that I likely have a newer version that what it's looking for... I'm using the current lrexlib_pcre 2.7.1-2 in the AUR. I checked the symbols with the command you suggested, but I'll be honest, I've no idea what I"m looking at or what to do with it.

Currently I'm using the slightly out of date mudlet-git from the AUR because with it, I only get that error that I listed. If I use the PKGBUILD listed in the comments it does indeed build a newer version, but it's not loading ANY of the LUA as far as I can tell, and the functionality is much less.

#4 2014-08-05 01:18:29

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

I don't know that the objdump command would be that helpful - it would just be used to check whether that symbol real is or isn't provided by that lib.  The output has a lot of info, but the last column is the only one relevant for these purposes - and a grep command could clean it up:

objdump -T /usr/lib/lua/5.1/rex_pcre.so | grep luaL_setfuncs

If that command provides any output, then my theory is wrong and the problem lies elsewhere.  If it provides no output, then it confirms the face value of the error message - though whether this is really due to a version imcompatibility would still be up in the air.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5 2014-08-05 01:20:25

Somnus

Hm.. well that particular symbol IS there, so maybe it's something else. Thanks for at least getting me this far!

#6 2014-08-05 01:28:26

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Heh ... oops.  That's the fastest I've ever proved one of my own ideas wrong wink

Sorry if I wasted a bit of your time.  Hopefully someone else will have better ideas.

#7 2014-08-14 21:18:58

Knute

You need to install lrexlib-pcre5.1.

If you use customizepkg, then you can make a file named /etc/customizepkg/mudlet-git and add the following line:

replace#depends#lrexlib-pcre#lrexlib-pcre5.1

HTH

Knute

Board footer