You are not logged in.

#1 2014-08-05 14:14:35

nbd

What is the correct way to start Samba?

Currently I start/enable Samba with systemctl with separate three commands - smbd, nmbd and winbindd. If 'systemctl start samba' is used, it fails due to incorrectly configured "server role". The 'samba.service' file relies on conf options in the '/etc/conf.d/samba', and this file after initial installation of Samba contains empty configurations strings for those three Samba services.

As it seems it's more easier (and natural) to start Samba with "start samba", than with three separate commands with cryptic daemon names. Is there an example or guidline to how to configure /etc/conf.d/samba? ArchWiki describes only starting separate daemons.

bing different

#2 2014-08-05 14:20:19

alphaniner

Re: What is the correct way to start Samba?

I just enable smbd.socket, but I don't have any need for nmb or winbind stuff and never touched /etc/conf.d/samba. Also that's based on an Arch machine that hasn't run in about a month so it may be out of date.

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

#3 2014-08-05 21:37:37

HiImTye

Re: What is the correct way to start Samba?

I have just smbd and nmbd enabled, and it works fine so long as you have your /etc/samba/smb.conf configured correctly

Board footer