You are not logged in.

#1 2014-08-10 01:51:25

mrunion
Website

[SOLVED] Java Font Too Small in OpenBox

I usually use Cinnamon, but decided to give OpenBox a whirl again. I am encountering a problem with OpenBox and the size of fonts in Java apps. I'm using the Oracle JDK, not OpenJDK.

These first screenshots show the font on OpenBox being too small:

http://www.dadburn.com/linuxscreenshots … tprob1.png
http://www.dadburn.com/linuxscreenshots … tprob2.png

As you can see, the fonts used for the controls is super tiny. As can be seen from the second example, the font can be configured in the editing portion through the applications. But the controls themselves remain too small.

When I log into the SAME account, but use Cinnamon, the fonts are fine. Reference:

http://www.dadburn.com/linuxscreenshots … tprob3.png
http://www.dadburn.com/linuxscreenshots … tprob4.png

So the only difference in these screenshots are the fonts. And the only difference is that I am using Cinnamon vs OpenBox. I;ve searched Google and the Wiki and the Forums, but I'm either not using the proper search terms or just overlooking the results. Can anyone point me in the right direction.

Also, I am using the fontconfig-infinality stuff. I don't think that matters and again, Cinnamon works and OpenBox has too small a font. And the problem is only on Java apps, not other things.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by mrunion (2014-08-10 03:10:58)

Matt

"It is very difficult to educate the educated."

#2 2014-08-10 02:10:12

mrunion
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Java Font Too Small in OpenBox

I found something that changes the font, but I can't solve the issue. I used lxappearance to set some of the UI settings. In my .gtkrc-2.0 I have this line:

gtk-font-name="Sans 8"

When I change my font size to 10, the Java app font gets bigger, but every other app gets bigger as well. So it seems that Java is just not mapping the font "correctly" in OpenBox, but somehow is in Cinnamon. I still can't connect the dost on this, though.

Matt

#3 2014-08-10 03:10:43

mrunion
Website

I've done more digging. I have this in my /etc/profile:

export _JAVA_OPTIONS='-Dswing.systemlaf=com.sun.java.swing.plaf.gtk.GTKLookAndFeel -Dswing.defaultlaf=com.sun.java.swing.plaf.gtk.GTKLookAndFeel -Dswing.aatext=true -Dawt.useSystemAAFontSettings=on'

Well, this screws up gdx-setup (the first screenshot). If I only use

export _JAVA_OPTIONS='-Dswing.aatext=true -Dawt.useSystemAAFontSettings=on'

Then gdx-setup looks fine. Netbeans was still messed up either way. I did find that it seems Netbeans has issues with the GTK+ look and feel on non-GTK platforms. So I reverted NetBeans to the (ugly) Metal theme and now the fonts are bigger.

So I am marking this as solved. It seems that the GTK+ look and feel is just not happy on non-GTK+ platforms. I guess that makes sense in a way.

Matt

#4 2014-08-10 09:12:14

brebs

mrunion wrote:

I am using the fontconfig-infinality stuff

Excellent. You obviously have good taste wink

If you want your Java fonts to stop looking so pathetically ugly, compile icedtea with --enable-infinality=yes

This became necessary with icedtea 2.5.1

Then, _JAVA_OPTIONS should be left blank.

The "GTKLookAndFeel" is broken.

#5 2014-08-10 15:06:35

mrunion
Website

Awesome! Thanks, man! I'll definitely look into that later today.

Matt

Board footer