You are not logged in.

#1 2014-08-11 10:28:27

NotaName

Setting up wired Connection

Gooday friends.

I decided that i would like to feel some pain, so i want to change the OS on my pc from Ubuntu to Arch. I have recieved the first dosage while reading the beginning of  the beginners guide. Now i have installed Arch before, it's actually on the latop that i'm typing in, but i did it while watching videos on youtube. This time i want to do it the hard way! The beginners guide way!

I'm trying to set up my wired internet connection, but I'm having difficulty understanding what i should put on these lines:

* ip addr add ip_address/mask_bits dev interface_name // Should i put my actuall static ip adress, or the adress of my router?

* ip route add default via ip_address // Should i put my actuall gateway adress here, or the gateway adress of my router?

and then in the /etc/resolv.conf :

nameserver ******** // What do these two lines stand for and as before, should i use my static ip adress or.. and at what order?
nameserver ********
search example.com

I'm not sure if this is the right forum that i posted this in, so sorry if i have darkened your day.

#2 2014-08-11 10:39:44

bitsdd

Re: Setting up wired Connection

NotaName wrote:

Now i have installed Arch before, it's actually on the latop that i'm typing in, but i did it while watching videos on youtube. This time i want to do it the hard way! The beginners guide way!

Are you sure about that ??
Actually that i think it is the easiest way possible!
And about your post

sudo systemctl start dhcpcd

will start on all available interfaces "if it helps??"

Is there any cookies because i'm all about arch arch arch....

#3 2014-08-11 11:08:36

NotaName

Thank you for your answer friend, but i'm not sure i understand your answer. Does it mean that i don't have to set up anything and just skip that portion of the guide?

#4 2014-08-11 11:32:50

Slithery
Administrator

If you have a wired connection then it should just work automagically during installation.

Is this not happening?

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#5 2014-08-11 12:01:09

NotaName

It is, but i thought this guide thing was a linear explanation of how to set everything up, so i just read it from top to bottom. I'm not all that hip on networking stuff, so when i read:

"Follow this procedure if you need to set up a wired connection via a static IP address."

I thought i need to do this. Is there by any chance an abridged version of the guide, because it's not the first time that i got confused reading it.

Last edited by NotaName (2014-08-11 12:01:59)

#6 2014-08-11 12:04:59

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Co … ng_network

Personally I prefer using systemd-networkd

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#7 2014-08-11 12:15:48

mariusmeyer

The confusion will not go away if you read an abridged guide, you will just be clueless about the things missing tongue if the sentence about wired network with static IP confused you, then google "static ip".

#8 2014-08-11 12:17:28

Slithery
Administrator

NotaName wrote:

"Follow this procedure if you need to set up a wired connection via a static IP address."

I thought i need to do this.

You would know if you needed a static IP.
If you don't know that you need one then you don't need one, DHCP should be fine.

NotaName wrote:

Is there by any chance an abridged version of the guide, because it's not the first time that i got confused reading it.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Installation_guide

Last edited by Slithery (2014-08-11 12:26:40)

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#9 2014-08-11 12:53:58

NotaName

Thank you for suggestions. I tried to read further, but i just get bogged up in link after link of explanations. I think Arch wiki is great as an encyclopedia, but the guide portion is just too confusing for me, as i'm never sure if the next option is just a suggestion for various systems, or an actual step that needs to be taken. Maybe i just might no be at a beginners level yet (though i have managed to install freebsd and archlinux before, using other tutorials).

Last edited by NotaName (2014-08-11 12:59:08)

#10 2014-08-11 13:03:02

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

NotaName wrote:

... i'm never sure if the next option is just a suggestion for various systems, or an actual step that needs to be taken. Maybe i just might no be at a beginners level yet

I agree.

Archlinux is for those who really want to learn about and understand their system.  No prerequisite knowledge is really required, but those who encounter something they don't understand and see it as an exciting learning opportunity are they type of people who really enjoy archlinux and whom arch fits well.  Those who encounter something they don't understand and wish just weren't there to confuse them will generally not end up happy with archlinux.

I struggled with picking the right words for this - I don't intend to attach any value judgement to either of those categories, so please don't take it as such.  Rather recognize that if you'd rather have a guide that just got you to a working system without requiring you to learn about it is what you want, then I doubt you'd ever really be pleased with archlinux.

EDIT: further, using some other abbreviated guide to get the 'quick fix' of an installed archlinux system will almost always come back to haunt you.  You will then have a system that is designed to require user understanding, yet you wouldn't understand how it was set up as someone else essentially set it up for you - but they are not there to maintain it for you.

Last edited by Trilby (2014-08-11 13:04:46)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#11 2014-08-11 13:21:37

swordfeng

Don't be confused by the detailed information...I think you should just check if things working and then go on...
First, confirm that your wire is connected.
Second, run `systemctl restart dhcpcd`
Then, run `ping www.google.com`. (Ctrl-c or Ctrl-z to exit.)
If there is an output like "64 bytes from xxx: icmp_seq=5 ttl=64 time=0.189 ms", then just go to [Prepare the storage drive] section.

Last edited by swordfeng (2014-08-11 13:22:20)

#12 2014-08-11 13:46:28

NotaName

Trilby wrote:
NotaName wrote:

... i'm never sure if the next option is just a suggestion for various systems, or an actual step that needs to be taken. Maybe i just might no be at a beginners level yet

I agree.

Archlinux is for those who really want to learn about and understand their system.  No prerequisite knowledge is really required, but those who encounter something they don't understand and see it as an exciting learning opportunity are they type of people who really enjoy archlinux and whom arch fits well.  Those who encounter something they don't understand and wish just weren't there to confuse them will generally not end up happy with archlinux.

I struggled with picking the right words for this - I don't intend to attach any value judgement to either of those categories, so please don't take it as such.  Rather recognize that if you'd rather have a guide that just got you to a working system without requiring you to learn about it is what you want, then I doubt you'd ever really be pleased with archlinux.

EDIT: further, using some other abbreviated guide to get the 'quick fix' of an installed archlinux system will almost always come back to haunt you.  You will then have a system that is designed to require user understanding, yet you wouldn't understand how it was set up as someone else essentially set it up for you - but they are not there to maintain it for you.

I think you have a great point here and i agree with you. I'm not sure if i'm devoid of curiousness, as i made the change from windows to linux just from being curious, but i might be more of a minimalist, as when learning something new, i always like to go from barebones. Get a grip on some basics and a short overview of the whole process to get a feel of how things work, rather than having to deal with all the details from get go (probably a habbit i got while sudying Arnold Schoenbergs great books on harmony and composition). 

I of course want, and will learn more about the whole system, but for now i cannot attend to it in such a fashion that i would have to read every linked article in an installation guide(which would take quite a while), as my first priority is to get a glimpse of how things work, set up a system and then start to delve a bit deeper on configuring it for my first passion, which is audio programming languages and working with audio.

I'm not tryng to hide from learning more, i actually want to, but i don't feel like the beginner guide is good option for me, i actually think it's terrible as a beginners guide, but of course that's just my outlook, as it seems to serve many people pretty good.  Anyway the wiki itself is great and i will still install arch on my pc, but for that purpose i will probably pick something else (which of course makes my first post look a bit foolish, but what can you do... lol).

Last edited by NotaName (2014-08-11 13:49:41)

#13 2014-08-11 15:22:56

NotaName

I actually found a pretty good video on youtube, that gives you a quick explanation of basic system installation without any further configuration beyond unmounting and rebooting. I also glimpsed at the beginners guide for some reference. I wish i could merge that video with the beginners guide hehe.

#14 2014-08-11 15:27:05

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

I'm glad you took my points well (as intended).  Perhaps trying out some other distros first would be a good way to wade into the linux river rather than diving head first into the deep end.  I haven't used it myself yet, but I've recently been impressed with Chakra's beginner's guide.  The writing strikes a very challenging balance of being simplified while also being informative (not 'dumbed down', just presented very well).

Chakra also is also a relative of arch - the right terminology and attitudes towards such other distros are debatable, but it does use pacman, systemd, and many other components that would transfer over if you decided to later switch to archlinux.

Note though, that while I've been impressed by the writing of their documentation, if you do opt for something like Chakra I have to stress that it is not archlinux, and these forums could not help with it (though their own forums could).

Anyhow, best of luck whichever approach you take.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#15 2014-08-11 16:11:52

NotaName

Well, i have used freebsd and fedora before (and of course ubuntu). And as for Chakara, thanks, i will check it out as soon as i will figure out how to start the genome  desktop enviroment.

#16 2014-08-11 17:31:42

NotaName

It seems i somehow managed to get the genome 3 desktop environment going, and i have to say wow - it runs super fast, much faster than ubuntu. Don't know if it's because of the desktop environment, or because i don't have all that much installed, but i'm very pleased. And my usb audio ins't popping and clicking!

Board footer