Hello everyone. I am new to Arch Linux (loving it so far) and fairly new with Linux in general (tried a few distributions, Gentoo being the one I last tried). I just recently got an Acer Aspire 3004WLCI Laptop. and decided to put arch on it. I managed to get everything else to work (wireless, ect.) but I can't get it to recognise my battery.
In KDE it always says I have no battery inserted (-1% charge).
In dmesg I keep getting this message:
ACPI-0339: *** Error: Looking up [Z007] in namespace, AE_NOT_FOUND
search_node dbbca260 start_node dbbca260 return_node 00000000
ACPI-0508: *** Error: Method execution failed [_SB_.BAT1._BST] (Node dbbcaf80), AE_NOT_FOUND
I have searched around a bit on these forums and other places, but the things I have tried so far have not worked. Anyone know anything I can try?
Thanks in advance!
I can't get it to recognise my battery.
It is due to buggy DSDTs in Acer Laptops. Fortunately, many DSDTs can be patched. It was possible, for example, for my daughter's Aspire 5002WLMI.
Anyone know anything I can try?
yep i had the same problem on my acer as well. the acpi link that turtle provided you with is your best bet. if your out of luck there ( like i was ) your going to have to do things the hard way and dissassemble your dsdt, then manually fix enough errors and hope it works. its not a fun process, but when its done its worth it.
Thanks a lot guys, I'll try this when I get home tommorow.
OK I had to recompile my DSDT file, which I have done succesfully. But now I am having a problem patching them into my kernel. I was trying to follow the directions here http://acpi.sourceforge.net/wiki/index. … rideTables
When I get to the part where it says
patch -p1 -i /PATH/TO/osl.diff
I replace the path with the file that is shown later on that page. When I run the command I get this message:
can't find file to patch at input line 5
Perhaps you used the wrong -p or --strip option?
The text leading up to this was:
File to patch:
And from there I don't know what to do.
I have never patched a kernel before, so I probably am just missing something simple, can anyone help?
As before, thanks in advance.
Try using another p option. Instead of -p1, try with -p0, -p2 or even -p3.
i dont believe you have to patch your kernel that way to tell it to read your custom dsdt.the easiest way is to use the archck kernel which already has look for custom dsdt enabled. then you apply your dsdt to your initramfs using the guide from here...
its a good way down but it tells you how to put it into an initrd, should work similarly for initramfs (though i'm not positive, i still use the 2.6.14archck when it was still an initrd.) if the the initramfs wont let you put in the dsdt, then use ABS to recompile the stock arch kernel and just make sure you enable
Power management options (ACPI, APM) ---> ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) Support ---> [*] Read DSDT from initrd
then go on with the guide at the gentoo site and follow it to add your dsdt to your initrd and you'll be set.
OK I finally got it to work, but by a slightly diffrent method. Instead of recompiling the kernel with ABS, I downloaded the archck kernel, which has the dsdt initrd patch in it already. Then all I needed to do was modify my /etc/mkinitramfs.conf on the DSDT= line to the path of my DSDT.aml file
Now battery works like a charm!