You are not logged in.

#1 2014-08-11 19:56:17

Fallere825

[Solved] Give Programs permission to write files to external HDD

Well, I'm quite new to Arch, and to be blunt, this problem didn't arise in any other distro I've tried till now (not that I'd want to go back)

Because I have a Laptop with an 128Gb SSD, disk space is quite rare, so I want programs like Browsers, Donloaders etc. to write the files they download to my external hard drive. But whenever I, let say, download a picture using chromium, and select /run/mdia/kano/Elements/Download (kano is my accountname and Elements the exHDD's name) as download path, chromium says "Cannot save due to insufficient permissions. Please save to another location.". It's the same with JDownloader and Konversation (using DCC), with similar errors.

I can't even copy files to it, altought I can read all files.

I already tried changing permission by using

sudo chmod -R 775 /run/media/kano/Elements

(I read that somewhere else) but it didn't solve the problem.

I also read that the problem is the fact that th exHDD's file system is ntfs, which the kernel boots as read-only. however, I did not find a way to change this.

I'd be really gratefull if someone could tell me what commands I have to use to make the exHdd read and write, as I guess that there is some kind of command for this I'm not aware of.

Last edited by Fallere825 (2014-08-11 20:44:25)

There are no bad questions in this world, because with every answered question humanity grows a bit.
And if all questions would be answered, we'd be living in an awesome world.

#2 2014-08-11 20:00:09

runical

Re: [Solved] Give Programs permission to write files to external HDD

Ah, the fun with NTFS. The problem with ntfs is that if you don't have ntfs-3g installed, the filesystem is mounted as read only (for good reasons, as writing would corrupt your data). Please take a look at the wiki and use that. It should be reasonably easy from there on. If you still have problems, please report back smile

EDIT: It pretty much boils down to "Install ntfs-3g" if you have a DE like KDE or GNOME (as I suspect you have).

Last edited by runical (2014-08-11 20:02:48)

#3 2014-08-11 20:43:12

Fallere825

I see. thanks, now everything works fine, just had to follow the steps in the wiki. Sorry for asking then, but I didn't really find something when I searched in the wiki.

Thanks again ^^

There are no bad questions in this world, because with every answered question humanity grows a bit.
And if all questions would be answered, we'd be living in an awesome world.

#4 2014-08-12 03:19:13

runical

No problem, this is what the forums are for, right? Glad I could be of help.

Board footer