You are not logged in.

#1 2014-08-14 16:51:44

Soukyuu

KWallet+KDM: need help configuring/debugging pam_kwallet

So according to this, I should be able to log in via kdm and simultaneously unlock KWallet. I am using the same password for my wallet and the user account. I installed pam_kdewallet from AUR and followed the instructions outlined in the guide, but it still prompts me for my wallet password after logging in. I looked in the journal and there is nothing pam/kdewallet related in there (I have removed the - in front of the relevant entries, no logs either).

The alternate setup section mentions /etc/pam.d/kdm (or xdm), but such a file does not exist on my system I tried creating them, but that does not solve it either. Any ideas? Maybe an alternative way (beside using a blank password) to achieve that? My config files are below

/etc/pam.d/login

#%PAM-1.0

auth       required     pam_securetty.so
auth       requisite    pam_nologin.so
auth       include      system-local-login
account    include      system-local-login
session    include      system-local-login
session    optional     pam_kwallet.so auto_start

/etc/pam.d/passwd

#%PAM-1.0
#password       required        pam_cracklib.so difok=2 minlen=8 dcredit=2 ocredit=2 retry=3
#password       required        pam_unix.so sha512 shadow use_authtok
auth            optional       pam_kwallet.so kdehome=.kde4
password        required        pam_unix.so sha512 shadow nullok

/etc/pam.d/kdm

#%PAM-1.0
auth            optional        pam_kwallet.so  kdehome=.kde4
session optional        pam_kwallet.so  auto_start

/etc/pam.d/xdm same as above.

Last edited by Soukyuu (2015-01-28 00:55:39)

[ Arch x86_64 | linux | Framework 13 | AMD Ryzen™ 5 7640U | 32GB RAM | KDE Plasma Wayland ]

#2 2014-08-15 11:10:32

midixinga

Re: KWallet+KDM: need help configuring/debugging pam_kwallet

Just to have an answer: You're not alone - and I gave up

PS: I stole your sig :-)

Last edited by midixinga (2014-08-15 11:29:08)

#3 2014-09-27 10:22:29

Urknaller

I'm relatively new to KDE (switched from LXDE), but pam_kwallet works fine for me.

1) Install pam_kwallet-git from AUR:

yaourt -S pam_kwallet-git

2) change /etc/pam.d/kde from:

#%PAM-1.0
auth            include         system-login

account         include         system-login

password        include         system-login

session         include         system-login                                                                                                                                                                                                            

to:

#%PAM-1.0                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
auth            include         system-login                                                                                                                                                                                                            
auth            optional        pam_kwallet.so kdehome=.kde4                                                                                                                                                            

account         include         system-login                                                                                                                                                                                                            

password        include         system-login                                                                                                                                                                                                            

session         include         system-login                                                                                                                                                                                                            
session         optional        pam_kwallet.so                                                                                                                                                                                                                    

3) Be sure that your wallet and user password are the same!

Last edited by Urknaller (2014-09-27 10:24:54)

#4 2014-09-27 14:56:40

Soukyuu

If I only modify/etc/pam.d/kde as suggested by Urkaller, it works!
Danke tongue

P.S.: is there any way to guard against updates resetting this file to default? I expected pacman to do a .pacnew out of it, but it kinda... didn't?

Last edited by Soukyuu (2014-09-27 15:56:45)

[ Arch x86_64 | linux | Framework 13 | AMD Ryzen™ 5 7640U | 32GB RAM | KDE Plasma Wayland ]

#5 2015-01-28 01:05:57

Soukyuu

...and it stopped working on one of my PCs out of the sudden. I have checked the /etc/pam.d/kde file and it's identical to my other PC's file as well as the one Urknaller posted.
On both PCs the login password and the wallet password is the same.

About the only difference I see in the logs is that for the one that is failing, it says this:

pam_kwallet(kde:auth): pam_sm_authenticate
pam_kwallet(kde:setcred): pam_sm_setcred

and the one that is working has this:

pam_kwallet(kde:auth): pam_sm_authenticate
pam_kwallet(kde:session): pam_sm_open_session
pam_kwallet(kde:session): pam-kwallet: final socket path: /tmp//user.socket
pam_kwallet(kde:session): pam_sm_close_session

Both PCs have the same PAM components installed:

pacman -Qs pam
local/pam 1.1.8-5
    PAM (Pluggable Authentication Modules) library
local/pam_kwallet-git r58.49a5bc0-1 (kde)
    PAM KWallet.
local/pambase 20130928-1
    Base PAM configuration for services
local/shadow 4.2.1-2 (base)
    Password and account management tool suite with support for shadow files and PAM

And both PCs were pacman -Syu'd today. Any ideas?

edit: It seems like accessing a vnc session doesn't trigger pam_kwallet at all. I just tried to log in from the PC directly and the wallet is opened correctly.

Last edited by Soukyuu (2015-01-28 01:17:36)

#6 2015-01-28 20:45:29

midixinga

Urknaller wrote:

I'm relatively new to KDE (switched from LXDE), but pam_kwallet works fine for me.
<...>

Coolio, works ! Thx.

I'm sure. I tried this "kdehome=.kde4", but maybe not in /etc/pam.d/kde

#7 2015-01-28 23:30:56

midixinga

midixinga wrote:
Urknaller wrote:

<...>

Coolio, works ! Thx.

I'm sure. I tried this "kdehome=.kde4", but maybe not in /etc/pam.d/kde

sad Did not survive a reboot - I've got a kwallet password window after login

#8 2015-04-06 00:18:56

nick.n

Sad to say this doesn't work anymore on my end either, im assuming it has something to do with the new migrated kf5 wallets, would have been nice to not have any kf5 stuff at all since its hardly semi-stable yet, but alas, ksshaskpass kind of forces it lol.

Hard to believe that after all these years there still isn't an option for this embedded into kdm/kde itself, at least thats one thing GNOME got right sad

Back to having a password-less wallet big_smile
(Yes, i know thats a horrid solution, but better than entering the same password 5-6 times every login)

----
Disclaimer: 95% of this post is probably the product of my frustrated fingers raging on the keyboard smile

Board footer