You are not logged in.

#1 2014-08-15 13:32:11

tmette

[SOLVED]Fresh install and won't start into Gnome?

So after a late night last night, I was finally getting Arch installed over again. I was just getting wrapped up and finished installing gnome and gnome-extra. After it finished I did the command to enable the GDM service and rebooted. Well unfortunately I'm not getting stuck at the following after bootup.

[5.8476381] radeon 0000:01:00.0: Invalid ROM contents

I booted it up again this morning before work and received the same thing although it did get through

Started Update man-db cache.

My only thought before falling asleep was not installing any sort of video driver for my ATI card? Could that be the culprit? It's been a while since I've done the Arch install and I can't remember if that was part of the process. I did the HDD partitioning, installing the base and base-devel, doing the location stuff, created a user, installed xorg and mesa stuff too. The final part I thought was installing a DE, in my case Gnome, rebooting and seeing a login screen?

Can anyone give me some ideas to try when I get home this evening?

EDIT: I guess I should mention that I have a Radeon R9 270X for my video card.

Last edited by tmette (2014-08-16 03:39:51)

#2 2014-08-15 13:50:06

alphaniner

Re: [SOLVED]Fresh install and won't start into Gnome?

Disable GDM and see if you can boot into the basic system.

As the IG and BG suggest, it's best to reboot just after installing the basic system. When it comes time to install X, take baby steps, testing and rebooting as necessary.

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

#3 2014-08-15 14:28:44

tmette

Ok, I'll boot to the command line from grub, disable GDM service and reboot. If it then boots to the command line, I'm guessing I have to install some drivers that work properly?

#4 2014-08-16 03:37:59

tmette

Got it solved, I just didn't have the drivers installed. I guess I accidentally skipped that step! Everything is running great!

Board footer