You are not logged in.

#1 2014-08-17 15:55:56

joseph-jones

[SOLVED] fresh install of Arch stops after video driver switch

I'm having issues getting a fresh install of Arch linux to start up. this is on a New SSD. I've been running Arch on and older HDD with out issues so i'm kind of stumped what may be the case.

hardware specs:

P8P67 LE B3
16GB RAM
256GB Corsair Force LX SSD
GForce 750 Ti

I followed the instructions on wiki for new install

I'm using BTRFS with no partitions

mkfs.btrfs /dev/sda
mount /dev/sda /mnt
cd /mnt
btrfs subvolume create _root
mkdir /mnt/_root/home
btrfs subvolume create _home
cd
umount /mnt
mount /dev/sda /mnt -osubvol=_root
mount /dev/sda /mnt/home -osubvol=_home

at the step in the instructions where it states to run

mkinitcpio -p linux

i'm installing btrfs-progs and modifying the hooks to add btrfs into /etc/mkinitcpio.conf

I'm using grub as a bootloader

grub-install --recheck /dev/sda
grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

rebooting the system it never gave me a login prompt.
just to check that the system was still responsive i attempted to reboot using ctr-alt-del and it did.
again it stopped in the same state. checked to see if the device was on the network and maybe i'm just not seeing a login prompt
looking at the IPs on my router/dhcp server (linksys home router) it's not connected. I even used wireshark to see what network chatter
was going on and say nothing from the computer.

i rebooted again. this time added debug to kernel line in grub

last message i get on the screen is :

[     4.787747] fb: switching to nouveaufg from VESA VGA

I spent most of Saturday going through forums looking for other issue similar to mine. found a couple but none of them where my issue
Fresh install hangs
[SOLVED]Unable to boot from SATA, but it works from USB
[SOLVED] Kernel not booting, could use help with debugging
[SOLVED] Kernel not booting, could use help with debugging

none of these seem to be my problem.

next i tried putting the newly installed drive in my laptop and it boots up just fine.
then i tried flashing the BIOS and booting. that didn't change anything.

last thing i tried was swapping video cards with my older GForce 430...boots up just fine

does any one know of a problem with nouveaufb and GForce 780? should i be posting this in the driver's forums?

the strange thing is my old archlinux install works with out issue with the same video card.

it's on spinning disk with LVM2 both SSD and old HDD are SATA3 and I've used the same cable and port to try and boot both of them.

edit:  forgot. i did also try using the linux-lts kernel and that didn't do any better.

edit 2: right after posting this i thought it would be worth a shot to install the proprietary drivers. arch booted right up. i'm guessing it is a nouveaufb bug

edit 3: actually this might not be a bug as much as the people who are working on the nouveau project just haven't finished the code for the 750 card. I checked their website and this family of card still has a lot of work in progress

Last edited by joseph-jones (2014-08-18 10:12:14)

Board footer