You are not logged in.

#1 2006-02-06 21:48:10

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

Xorg 6.8/7.0 ATI fglrx 8.22.5 Kernel-Independent Packages

-------NOTICE-------

Iphitus has now made available a lovely set of packages for ATI drivers and xorg 7 in the [testing] repo.  I have helped him put them together, and they run like a charm for me. 

See this thread for more info.

Since these packages are well thought out and seperate the kernel module from the userland files necessary to run ATI-drivers, I feel that they're a better solution than the packages I have created and presented in this thread.  As such, I strongly suggest you use the packages available in the official repos now.  While I will not immediately remove the files I have hosted for these packages, I will no longer be maintaining them.

-------PURPOSE-------

Well, as brought up recently in the ati-drivers-arch thread, the way we handle ATI's drivers and Nvidia's drivers is a little different... the officially packaged Nvidia drivers actually build the kernel module on the user's machine, during install time, making it an essentually kernel-independent package. The ATI drivers in community, however, build the module at makepkg time, which ties each package to a specific kernel version.

I personally thought the Nvidia way was a good way.

Therefore, I have decided to make packages that are kernel-independant in the same way nvidia's are -- here they are.

Note: Since creating these, I've been informed that this is not an ideal Arch-way to make packages; read on in this thread for details.  In case you want a prebuilt fglrx package, which is dependant on a particular kernel and compiles the driver at build-time instead of install-time, for use with Xorg 7, see this Wiki page: ATI fglrx and Xorg 7

-------KERNEL 2.6.15 Notes-------

ATI has fixed the 2.6.15 kernel problems with version 8.22.5.

-------Xorg 6.8 Notes-------

The package for Xorg 6.8 is currently UNTESTED by me.  In theory, it should work fine, since I took the same changes I made to the Xorg 7 package and more-or-less applied them to the ati-drivers-arch package available in [community]

-------Xorg 7 Notes-------

I have tested, and am currently using, the Xorg 7 package linked here with kernel26-archck 2.6.15 from [community] with no noticeable problems. 

Additionally, for the Xorg 7 package to work, you'll probably have to create a symlink from /usr/X11R6/lib/modules -> /usr/lib/xorg/modules.
If /usr/X11R6/lib/modules already exists, copy its contents to /usr/lib/xorg/modules, remove it

rm -r /usr/X11R6/lib/modules

then make the link

ln -s /usr/lib/xorg/modules /usr/X11R6/lib/modules

-------Installing Additional Kernel Modules-------

The packages now install a shell script in /opt/ati to facilitate installation of the kernel module for multiple kernels.  The kernel module is automatically built and installed for whichever kernel you are running when you install the package, but if you want to install it for additional kernels, follow these steps:

Boot into the kernel you want to install the module for.
Execute:

$ cd /opt/ati
$ ./fglrx_module_setup.sh install

and the script will do the rest.  As a bonus, when you uninstall the ati-drivers package, the script will remember which kernels it installed the module for and remove every module, leaving your system sparkling-clean.

If you update your driver in the future, you should be able to run

$ cd /opt/ati
$ ./fglrx_module_setup.sh reinstall

and, if I've done it right (this is untested) it should reinstall the module for every kernel on which it's been previously installed.

-------UPDATE-------

Packages updated to fglrx 8.22.5!  New in this release:

NEW FEATURES: (1) ATI Proprietary Linux Driver now supports Linux Kernel 2.6.15.
ISSUES RESOLVED: (1) Creating 22 or more display configuration mode lines in the X Server configuration file no longer results in a fatal server error.

-------PACKAGES-------

Packages available tarballed at:
http://www.student.cs.uwaterloo.ca/~tjwillar/arch/

#2 2006-02-07 00:58:03

napoleon

Re: Xorg 6.8/7.0 ATI fglrx 8.22.5 Kernel-Independent Packages

Well i just installed the Xorg7 version and when i typed "pacman -U ./ati-drivers-xorg7-8.21.7-1.pkg.tar.gz" i got the following

sudo pacman -U ./ati-drivers-xorg7-8.21.7-1.pkg.tar.gz
loading package data... done.
checking for file conflicts... done.
/tmp/pacman-ySMdHP/.INSTALL: line 67: syntax error: unexpected end of file
installing ati-drivers-xorg7... done.
/var/lib/pacman/local/ati-drivers-xorg7-8.21.7-1/install: line 67: syntax error: unexpected end of file

modprobe fglrx gives me

sudo modprobe fglrx
Password:
FATAL: Module fglrx not found.

. In short ati-driver is broken for both stock kernel and archck kernel on my pc.

The module symlink created by this package is different from the one at http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ATI … and_Xorg_7

Thnx

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...BUT a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"

#3 2006-02-07 02:20:00

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

Crap... try this.  See the part that says

cat << EOF 
    INSTALLATION FAILED! 
    ==> Could not build kernel module. Rerun pacman -S ati-drivers. 
    ==> Drivers will not function until this succeeds. 
    EOF 

in ati-drivers.install? Replace it with

echo "INSTALLATION FAILED!"
    echo "==> Could not build kernel module. Rerun pacman -S ati-drivers. "
    echo "==> Drivers will not function until this succeeds. "

and see if it works better.  That was a change I made just after I installed the package on my own system...

#4 2006-02-07 04:41:11

codemac
Website

All I keep getting is:

cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | egrep "WW|EE"

(WW) fglrx(0): board is an unknown third party board, chipset is supported
(WW) fglrx(0): Specified desktop setup not supported: 8

fglrxinfo:

display: :0.0  screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: Mesa project: www.mesa3d.org
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect
OpenGL version string: 1.2 (1.5 Mesa 6.4.1)

xorg.conf

Section "Module"
    Load        "dbe"      # Double buffer extension
    SubSection  "extmod"
      Option    "omit xfree86-dga"   # don't initialise the DGA extension
    EndSubSection
    Load        "type1"
    Load        "freetype"
    Load       "glx"
    Load        "dri"
EndSection

Section "Files"
    RgbPath    "/usr/share/X11/rgb"
    FontPath   "/usr/share/fonts/misc"
    FontPath   "/usr/share/fonts/75dpi"
    FontPath   "/usr/share/fonts/100dpi"
    FontPath   "/usr/share/fonts/TTF"
    FontPath   "/usr/share/fonts/Type1"
    FontPath   "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/local/"
    FontPath   "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"
    FontPath   "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled"
    FontPath   "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled"
    FontPath   "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/"
    FontPath   "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/"
    FontPath   "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType/"
    FontPath   "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/freefont/"
    FontPath   "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/"
    FontPath   "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/"
    ModulePath "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"

EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier    "Keyboard1"
    Driver    "kbd"
    Option "AutoRepeat" "500 30"
    Option "XkbRules"    "xorg"
    Option "XkbModel"    "pc104"
    Option "XkbLayout"    "dvorak,us"
    Option "XkbOptions"    "grp:shifts_toggle,grp_led:scroll,caps:shift,altwin:super_win"

EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier    "Mouse1"
    Driver    "mouse"
    Option "Protocol"    "Auto"    # Auto detect
    Option "Device"      "/dev/input/mice"
    Option    "Buttons"        "5"
    Option "ZAxisMapping"   "4 5"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier  "My Monitor"
    HorizSync   28-64
    VertRefresh 43-60
    Modeline "1280x800@60" 83.91 1280 1312 1624 1656 800 816 824 841
    Option      "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier    "Standard VGA"
    VendorName    "Unknown"
    BoardName    "Unknown"
    Driver     "fglrx"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "My Video Card"
    Driver      "fglrx"
    Option "UseInternalAGPGART"         "no"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier  "Screen 1"
    Device      "My Video Card"
    Monitor     "My Monitor"
    DefaultDepth 24
    SubSection "Display"
        Depth    24
        Modes    "1280x800@60"
        Viewport    0 0
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier  "Simple Layout"
    Screen "Screen 1"
    InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer"
    InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

Section "DRI"
    Mode 0666
EndSection

I can't get it to work.  Any help would be appreciated.

#5 2006-02-07 05:54:55

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

codemac, which version of Xorg are you using? 

If you're using xorg 7, exit it, and make a symlink from /usr/X11R6/lib/modules -> /usr/lib/xorg/modules (if /usr/X11R6/lib/modules already exists, then copy its contents to /usr/lib/xorg/modules first, then rm -r it and make the link.)

Otherwise, can you post the output of

ls /usr/lib/libGL* -l
ls /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL* -l

#6 2006-02-07 06:39:53

napoleon

Cerebral, it partially works now. By that i mean i have fglrx working on Archck kernel but not on the stock kernel. I built and installed using the Archck kernel and i assumed that i will work for both kernels. Was that not the idea? I probably got you wrong.

If i want to have ati-drivers working on both Archck and Stock kernels on one machine, what are my options.

thnx

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...BUT a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"

#7 2006-02-07 08:26:26

codemac
Website

Dear Cerebral,

Ohhhh, oh, oh, oh, ohhh.
It must have been cold there in my shadow,
to never have sunlight on your face.
You were content to let me shine, that's your way.
You always walked a step behind.

So I was the one with all the glory,
while you were the one with all the strength.
A beautiful face without a name for so long.
A beautiful smile to hide the pain.

Did you ever know that you're my hero,
and everything I would like to be?
I can fly higher than an eagle,
for you are the wind beneath my wings.

It might have appeared to go unnoticed,
but I've got it all here in my heart.
I want you to know I know the truth, of course I know it.
I would be nothing without you.

Did you ever know that you're my hero?
You're everything I wish I could be.
I could fly higher than an eagle,
for you are the wind beneath my wings.

Did I ever tell you you're my hero?
You're everything, everything I wish I could be.
Oh, and I, I could fly higher than an eagle,
for you are the wind beneath my wings,
'cause you are the wind beneath my wings.

Oh, the wind beneath my wings.
You, you, you, you are the wind beneath my wings.
Fly, fly, fly away. You let me fly so high.
Oh, you, you, you, the wind beneath my wings.
Oh, you, you, you, the wind beneath my wings.

Fly, fly, fly high against the sky,
so high I almost touch the sky.
Thank you, thank you,
thank God for you, the wind beneath my wings.

err...

Thanks for the help, I got it working.

#8 2006-02-07 14:27:47

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

napoleon wrote:

Cerebral, it partially works now. By that i mean i have fglrx working on Archck kernel but not on the stock kernel. I built and installed using the Archck kernel and i assumed that i will work for both kernels. Was that not the idea? I probably got you wrong.

If i want to have ati-drivers working on both Archck and Stock kernels on one machine, what are my options.

thnx

No, the idea was that this package doesn't force you to use any single kernel when you install it... if you want it for BOTH kernels, you'll need to rebuild just the kernel module for stock.

I suppose, if you want, I can make a PKGBUILD that _only_ builds the kernel module, and you can install that.  I've got to go to class right now though, so it'd be a while before I can.  Take a look at the PKGBUILDs above - you might be able to figure out how to build the kernel driver from reading them, and then you can do it manually for the stock kernel if you want.

#9 2006-02-07 17:28:57

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

This is a great contribution but I would recommend not bowing to the whims of all and sundry.  Provide people with the info they need to expand on your work butr don't do it all for them or you wil never rest.  I speak from experience.  A fat wiki page can go a long way to help smile

AFAIK tho the NVIDIA drivers build on the fly because they MUST be installed that way.  Generally extensive install script activity is not encouraged.  All of the Arch kernel modules could be re-jigged to build on the fly and there must be a good reason why they are not.  So, building on the fly is a good technical feat (congrats) but I for one am not convinced it is the best solution.  The best solution is an ati-drivers pkg for the stock kernel in [extra] - I see no reason not to have one these days.  It's daft that the only bins you can get are for a "non-standard" kernel - we must be behind other distros in that sense I think...

#10 2006-02-07 17:43:43

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

dibblethewrecker wrote:

This is a great contribution but I would recommend not bowing to the whims of all and sundry.

Fair enough... I'm currently augmenting the existing package to install a script that can be run from within different kernels to build and install the module, but also tracks which modules it's installed.  Then, if/when the package is removed, it clears them all out.  I think it's slick.  lol

dibblethewrecker wrote:

AFAIK tho the NVIDIA drivers build on the fly because they MUST be installed that way.  Generally extensive install script activity is not encouraged.

Hm.. didn't realize that.  I just thought to myself "Geez, why is it arch has a single nvidia package that works for everyone, no matter what kernel they use, but we don't have that for ATI?" and looked into it.  Nonetheless, I've made these packages more for myself than others, and just decided to share.

I think these ones are especially convenient in the fact that, when you upgrade the kernel, you don't have to rebuild and reinstall the ati-drivers package, just reinstall the already-built package and boom, done. 

Anywho, dibble, thanks for the input and compliment! smile

#11 2006-02-07 18:22:01

napoleon

Thanks Cerebral  I now have ati driver working on both Stock and ArchCk. I kust had to boot the stock kernel and install the driver. That built the kernel module and now i have my wish.

dibblethewrecker wrote:

This is a great contribution but I would recommend not bowing to the whims of all and sundry.

As much as i agree with you, different packages are of different importance to diffrent people. Take ati-drivers for example, What does it mean to me if its broken and not working on my PC. Its a big deal!!. Im learning to model using blender3D and without ati-drivers, the experience is awful. The mouse movement becomes jerky etc.. I can go on but you don't want to know.

Also youwill agree that updates break Arch from time to time hence my reason for installing the Stock kernel in addition to ArchCk. And guess what now dvd's dont play on my machine using ArchCK but it works great on the stock kernel so i just had to get the ati-drivers working on the Stock kernel.

I could read and build my own like you suggest but if someone of their own accord decides to help out i don't see anything wrong. If it gets too much for him he will stop.

Thanks

#12 2006-02-07 21:47:22

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

Packages updated (see first post) -=edit=- and good luck to napoleon!

#13 2006-02-07 23:05:24

napoleon

Cerebral wrote:

Packages updated (see first post)

Well I am going to do a fresh install of the ati-drivers for both Stock and ArchCk with xorg7 and i will report back. Wish me luck  big_smile

#14 2006-02-08 00:18:59

iphitus
Forum Fellow

dibblethewrecker wrote:

AFAIK tho the NVIDIA drivers build on the fly because they MUST be installed that way.

Last year I made an nvidia module that built within the build {} lines. So it doesnt have to be installed from the install script. If you wanna take a look at it, its the one used for Archie.

The best solution is an ati-drivers pkg for the stock kernel in [extra] - I see no reason not to have one these days.  It's daft that the only bins you can get are for a "non-standard" kernel - we must be behind other distros in that sense I think...

We do have an ATI drivers for the vanilla kernel now. I put it in community, it's confusingly named ati-drivers-arch, as the archck release has taken 'ati-drivers'.

Ideally, the archck drivers would be renamed to ati-drivers-archck, which I may do next release.

I agree with dibble though. The fact that so much of this package's work is done in the post install, makes it completely pointless using pacman to install it in the first place. Removing the package doesnt remove the binaries.

I'd suggest that if you are using ArchCK or Vanilla Arch, that you use the respective ATI-Drivers packages, ati-drivers and ati-drivers-arch.

iphitus

#15 2006-02-08 02:11:00

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

iphitus wrote:

I agree with dibble though. The fact that so much of this package's work is done in the post install, makes it completely pointless using pacman to install it in the first place.

Actually, all of the files except fglrx.ko are handled in build { } just like any normal package.

iphitus wrote:

Removing the package doesnt remove the binaries.

Untrue. The ati-drivers.install handles the removal of fglrx.ko (and any extraneous sources that may have been generated in its build - edit: files generated by the make process are now actually cleaned immediately after the make instead of at package removal) when you remove the package - all the other files are removed like normal since they're handled from within build { }

I can understand your reasoning, iphitus, but IMO packaging ATI-drivers this way doesn't make it pointless to use pacman - a well-designed package that does some work post-install can be just as seamless as other packages, it just requires more thought and work to go into how it's done.

(edit)
Actually, I should probably thank you, iphitus.  The way I had the package set up, it didn't actually clean up after a make of the kernel module, which was BAD, but I wouldn't have realized I forgot that unless you hadn't of said something.  Now, the kludgy "rm /opt/ati" in post_remove() can be gotten rid of, 'cause pacman will do that for me if the source folder's all clean and shiny. big_smile

#16 2006-02-08 15:06:05

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

napoleon wrote:

I could read and build my own like you suggest but if someone of their own accord decides to help out i don't see anything wrong. If it gets too much for him he will stop.

Alas I think nice, considerate people like you may be in the minority!

#17 2006-02-08 20:46:47

napoleon

Cerebral I have built and installed the ati-drivers and it works for both kernels. One thing though is i built the package while running the stock kernel, then i installed it. When i switched onver the ArchCk i had fglrs loaded and dri was working. I didn't have to do anything else. I don't know if its because i had previousely installed and got it working.

I used pacman to remove the previous installation before building the new one. Anyway it works for me  big_smile

#18 2006-02-08 20:55:54

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

napoleon wrote:

I don't know if its because i had previousely installed and got it working.

Hm.. that's likely the reason... the package isn't designed to install the kernel module to multiple kernels automatically - it should only install it for whatever kernel you're running when you install the package.

The fglrx module you have in your ArchCK kernel is probably a remnant from when you used the first revision of these packages - in hindsight I can see how installing one version in stock and the other in ArchCK would leave behind an extra kernel module for whichever kernel you installed it under first. 

The current version of my packages should protect against that, and remove all modules installed by the /opt/ati/fglrx_module_setup.sh script when the package is removed, regardless of which kernel you're running when you remove the package.

Anyway, napoleon, glad to hear you're having success!  You took so long to respond, I was worried that I'd borked my packages somehow and brought down your system or something. *lol*

#19 2006-02-09 19:23:38

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

New drivers version just made available!!

ATI RSS Feed wrote:

Linux Proprietary Driver 8.22.5 Release: x86 and x86_64 variants

NEW FEATURES: (1) ATI Proprietary Linux Driver now supports Linux Kernel 2.6.15. ISSUES RESOLVED: (1) Creating 22 or more display configuration mode lines in the X Server configuration file no longer results in a fatal server error.

Updating packages...

#20 2006-02-09 21:25:05

napoleon

hey fingers crossed. Can't wait and thanks a lot.  big_smile

#21 2006-02-09 21:44:53

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

Packages updated!

Right now, I'm running Kernel 2.6.15, Xorg 7, and my fglrx 8.22.5 package linked here and haven't had a single problem yet - no patches necessary!  My fps in fgl_glxgears have increased since 8.20.8 as well. BONUS.

#22 2006-02-09 22:07:34

napoleon

Well off i go will report. I'll be back!!

==edit==
Installation went ok. No problems here.  smile.

#23 2006-02-11 20:30:07

lumiwa

dibblethewrecker wrote:

This is a great contribution but I would recommend not bowing to the whims of all and sundry.  Provide people with the info they need to expand on your work butr don't do it all for them or you wil never rest.  I speak from experience.  A fat wiki page can go a long way to help smile

dibblethewrecker,  computer and different op. systems users  are not just hackers or computer educated. Why than they put the Arch Linux online. Why Distrowatch shows Arch Linux and Arch users are happy when they see that going up or happy when was for example Arch Linux review in Linux Magazine? I suggest you that ''archers'' put a comment on the Distrowatch: ''just for hackers''.

And BTW if Cerebral want to help users is HIS decision.

#24 2006-02-11 20:38:06

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

lumiwa wrote:

dibblethewrecker,
snip...

Guys, guys, don't rail on dibble.  He's a good guy. big_smile  He made a valid point - if I start catering to everything everybody needs, then I'm going to be doing alot of work - it's pretty straightforward.  He wasn't telling me not to contribute, but more along the lines of the old proverb: "You give a man a fish, he eats for a day.  You teach him to fish, he eats for a lifetime." - I should be careful not to give you guys too many fish.  XD

And BTW if Cerebral want to help users is HIS decision.

You bet yer socks it's my decision!  big_smile  I've gained alot of experience with ATI's drivers struggling to get them installed for a while now; if I can help someone else using this experience, all the better.  smile

#25 2006-02-11 21:46:16

codemac
Website

So, I was wondering if you had any more fish.

My xvinfo is still giving me :  no adaptors present

I don't know what this means, or how to fix it, but I would like my Xvideo back.

Board footer