You are not logged in.

#1 2014-08-23 13:36:06

borisbsc

Slow screen updates in Gnome Terminal, Firefox, and others

I'm having problems with Gnome Terminal, Firefox and other programs. When I'm typing into gnome terminal or scrolling/changing tabs in Firefox it seems as if the screen somehow "lags" 1 frame behind or freezes. It's most evident in Gnome Terminal, while typing the terminal sometimes freezes for a second or two, and in Midnight commander pressing Home/End in a directory would take 1-2 seconds for the screen to update. On a fresh reboot this does not happen, however after some time the problem kicks in and it seems it worsens with time until the next reboot.

I'm using Gnome shell on a fully up-to-date Arch with proprietary NVidia drivers (currently 340.32-1). Every package is from the official Arch repo, no packages built from source, etc, and the setup is pretty basic in every way. The only maybe not-so-standard thing I'm using is v86d and uvesafb for TTYs to have 1920x1200 resolution.

This is happening for 6 months now, ever since one NVidia update, I think it was 334 but I'm not sure. Back then even Nautilus had that lagging problem, but with later updates it stopped, however the terminal and firefox are still having problems.

Is this a known problem and is there anything I can do, short of downgrading nvidia drivers?

EDIT: It seems that it's the same problem as this, sorry for the noise.

Last edited by borisbsc (2014-08-23 13:51:00)

Board footer