You are not logged in.

#1 2014-08-25 07:27:25

Chickendipper

GRUB wont load arch, no idea what to do

A fresh install following this tutorial:http://wideaperture.net/blog/?p=3851 and the page for GRUB, i installed arch on my system. however, when iboot, it takes me to the GRUB cmd line thing.
for me /mnt is /dev/sda3, so i type
set root=(hd0,3)
chainloader +1
At this point i get an invalid signature error.
/boot is on /dev/sda1 though so i can boot (hd0,1) with no issues, but its just another cmd line.
I have tried practically everyhing to get this working, some solutions talk of a kernel26.img and vmlinuz but i dont have those in my /boot?

Sorry for the typos my pc is obviously occupied, on my tablet to post this.

#2 2014-08-25 07:37:06

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Re: GRUB wont load arch, no idea what to do

Read the wiki, not some random and outdated blog tongue

Last edited by graysky (2014-08-25 07:37:34)

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#3 2014-08-25 07:40:12

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

You should use the Arch documentation: random blog posts are typically either out-of-date or full of errors (or both)...

Why are you pointing grub at sda3 if that is /mnt?

Please provide more details about your setup (lsblk) and your grub config. Chroot in from a live environment and paste the details if necessary.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#4 2014-08-25 10:01:09

Chickendipper

jasonwryan wrote:

You should use the Arch documentation: random blog posts are typically either out-of-date or full of errors (or both)...

Please provide more details about your setup (lsblk) and your grub config. Chroot in from a live environment and paste the details if necessary.

I am pointing to sda because on the wiki it points to sda.

Considering the cpmmands are practically the same between the blog and wiki installation guide, i dont see how its the guide thst ismfucked up.
How will inget the results from my arch to here?

#5 2014-08-25 10:05:29

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Chickendipper wrote:
jasonwryan wrote:

Well, you have to amend the wiki instructions to suit your particular setup, not just copy/paste and hope...

Considering the cpmmands are practically the same between the blog and wiki installation guide, i dont see how its the guide thst ismfucked up.

It is just some advice; if you want to follow the blog post, you are free to do so, just don't expect much sympathy here.

Chroot instructions here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Chroot

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#6 2014-08-25 10:08:21

Chickendipper

jasonwryan wrote:
Chickendipper wrote:
jasonwryan wrote:

Well, you have to amend the wiki instructions to suit your particular setup, not just copy/paste and hope...

It is just some advice; if you want to follow the blog post, you are free to do so, just don't expect much sympathy here.

Yeah, I am chrooted into my installation, but how do I get the results back? I still havent installed a gui yet (I installed the base packages for cinnamon but no luck setting that up)
Tbh I think he problem is with how I set up GRUB.
I had to use --force when using grub-install because of the error it says there, but that is the only change I made.

#7 2014-08-25 11:17:44

Chickendipper

jasonwryan wrote:
Chickendipper wrote:
jasonwryan wrote:

Also for reference i cant copy and paste any commands lol, i had to hsnd type it all

Board footer