You are not logged in.

#1 2014-08-25 19:48:14

plat

Install Package Not In Repo

I would like to know how you can install a package not in the repos. The reason is my favorite video game is coming back Unreal Tournament. They have a linux version for the game which is nice. Can someone instruct me on how to get pacman to install the game?

#2 2014-08-25 19:52:44

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Re: Install Package Not In Repo

Create a PKGBUILD for the package then build the package with makepkg. Someone may have already done this so check the AUR. Even if the package doesn't exist there, you will find many examples of PKGBUILDs there to guide you in creating your own. You can also access PKGBUILDs for official packages via ABS.

Everything is in the wiki. Please use it.

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#3 2014-08-25 19:55:50

plat

I believe the download is ready for install. I will dl it later. The game is a community development scheme so the package is only good for a week. If I dl it will this command work?

pacman -U /path/to/package/package_name-version.pkg.tar.xz

Last edited by plat (2014-08-25 19:56:13)

#4 2014-08-25 20:01:12

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Did you read any of the links in Xyne's post?

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#5 2014-08-25 20:02:41

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

plat wrote:

If I dl it will this command work?

pacman -U /path/to/package/package_name-version.pkg.tar.xz

If you have built a working package using a valid PKGBUILD and makepkg, then yes, that will work. You can even install it directly with makepkg using the "-i" option when you build it. If you get stuck, post a request here.

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#6 2014-08-25 20:36:02

tomk
Forum Fellow

plat wrote:

I believe the download is ready for install. I will dl it later.

A bit vague - why not post a link to whatever you're planning to download?

#7 2014-08-25 21:02:09

plat

jasonwryan wrote:

Did you read any of the links in Xyne's post?

Yes, the package is not in the AUR. Nor do I believe it will be because of the nature of the game development process. Epic is only releasing alpha-packages right now & putting them on their forum weekly. Only a very few  hardcore people will be interested. I'm thinking it would be a waste of time to have in the AUR at this point. Once development is complete I believe having it on the AUR would be great as it will be a free game.

tomk:

The reason for the vagueness is because there is a secret link for the alpha dl's. I'm not sure yet how to get my hands on it but, once I do I will post the link for some more direction.

Xyne:

Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it. I will be back with more info once I get it.

Thanks to everyone else too...

Last edited by plat (2014-08-25 21:06:04)

#8 2014-08-25 23:00:05

plat

Ok so I just dl'd the zip file and it's not in the correct format. The file is about 700m. I have posted a link to the forum where it can be dl'd. I am completely lost on what to do. Your help is greatly appreciated.

https://forums.unrealtournament.com/sho … structions

#9 2014-08-25 23:13:36

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

plat wrote:

Ok so I just dl'd the zip file and it's not in the correct format. The file is about 700m. I have posted a link to the forum where it can be dl'd. I am completely lost on what to do. Your help is greatly appreciated.

https://forums.unrealtournament.com/sho … structions

The forum post describing how to install the UT pre-alpha playable build is only visible to signed in forum members in the Top Secret Members Only forum.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#10 2014-08-25 23:26:06

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

plat wrote:

Ok so I just dl'd the zip file and it's not in the correct format.

Of course it isn't.  Had you been reading the responses provided so far, it would be clear why it wouldn't be.

Arch linux is not the only 'linux' out there, and it is not anywhere near the most common nor the most likely to have precompiled binary packages provided by upstream sources.  If only one ready to install package was made available, it would almost certainly be .deb or .rpm, not .pkg.tar.xz.

In reality, I suspect the 'zipped file' is just the sources which you'd have to build.  The means to do this has also been provided in this thread.

EDIT: nevermind, it's not a source tarball - it's just a precompiled binary that does nothing but segfault half a second after blanking the entire screen.  I guess it was built for a different system.  You're SOL.

Last edited by Trilby (2014-08-25 23:40:45)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#11 2014-08-25 23:42:27

plat

Yes it's binaries etc... But the wiki isn't noob proof for me at this stage of my skill set.

#12 2014-08-25 23:46:31

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Which wiki, ours or theirs?  Our wiki can't help you with this - the provided zip file has none of the bits needed to be used on a system other than the one it was built on.  Their wiki does not give any information about the system it was built on, nor the requirements for running it on another system.

It also uses relative links to the libraries they provide in a non-standard directory structure - so this could never be "installed", it could only be run from wherever you unpacked it (unless perhaps you could relink it).  You can unpack the zip file in your home directory, then just run the binary.  But you'll likely just end up with the same segfault it gives me.

Last edited by Trilby (2014-08-25 23:52:39)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#13 2014-08-26 00:03:45

plat

Trilby wrote:

Which wiki, ours or theirs?  Our wiki can't help you with this - the provided zip file has none of the bits needed to be used on a system other than the one it was built on.  Their wiki does not give any information about the system it was built on, nor the requirements for running it on another system.

It also uses relative links to the libraries they provide in a non-standard directory structure - so this could never be "installed", it could only be run from wherever you unpacked it (unless perhaps you could relink it).  You can unpack the zip file in your home directory, then just run the binary.  But you'll likely just end up with the same segfault it gives me.

I'm going to defer to you. Can you give me a description about what is needed? I will bring it to their attention. I have a feeling these guys are primarly windows developers. Can you recommend some good reading to learn more about linux functionality. I have learned alot but, progress is slow. I know there is alot to learn but, I'm a pretty quick study.

The wiki I was talking about was what they provided in the zip file to what arch wiki described. I couln't put it together. It makes sense I couldn't

EDIT: I just posted a link to this post for their review. Don't worry about the description. However, I would like the reading.

Last edited by plat (2014-08-26 00:10:06)

#14 2014-08-26 00:40:47

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

plat wrote:

Can you give me a description about what is needed?

No - that's the point.  I'm not keeping any secrets - the authors of this thing simply didn't provide anything that can be used in arch.  I can't know what is missing as it is a closed-source binanary-only project.  There is no information to be had except what the authors chose to provide, which is currently nothing.

#15 2014-08-26 00:46:02

plat

Roger that.. thank you Sir

Board footer