You are not logged in.

#1 2014-08-26 19:27:31

haansn08

texlive-type1cm package on arch?

Hello, I have a problem with latex rendering on ipython/pylab and filed a bug report here.
It was closed with the comment I should install the texlive-type1cm package.
I didn't find this a package in the official repositories or the AUR, but there are several texlive-* packages present.

Which of those will provide the desired functionality?

#2 2014-08-26 19:35:21

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: texlive-type1cm package on arch?

The actual error output is far more useful than that reply:

$ pkgfile type1cm.sty
extra/texlive-latexextra

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2014-08-27 09:09:18

haansn08

Installing texlive-latexextra did indeed work - but I don't see how you figured that out by looking at the error message.
Also I thought pacman would install those dependencies for me - or at least tell me that there is an optional package that provides something I want.

#4 2014-08-27 11:05:32

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

haansn08 wrote:

Installing texlive-latexextra did indeed work - but I don't see how you figured that out by looking at the error message.

The error message specified exactly which file was missing "type1cm.sty".  `pkgfile` - as shown in my last post - indicated which package that file belongs to.

haansn08 wrote:

Also I thought pacman would install those dependencies for me - or at least tell me that there is an optional package that provides something I want.

When would it have the chance?  Pacman wasn't running when you wrote or tried to compile that document.  Pacman will install dependencies of the packages you tell it to install, but the package in question is not a dependency of anything you have installed.  As for telling you that there is a package that provides something you want, how is it supposed to know what you want?

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5 2014-08-27 15:25:29

haansn08

A package A on my computer, installed with pacman, needed a file provided by package B. So B is at least an optional dependency of A, or did I get something wrong?

#6 2014-08-27 15:38:57

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

If a package 'A' on you computer needed a file provided by package 'B', then yes, B would be a dependency of A.  But that is not the case here.

Imagine writing C code.  You'd install a C compiler like 'gcc'.  Then you wrote some basic code, and it worked well.  But you decided to add some graphics drawing to your code, and you wanted to use the cairo library - so you added "#include <cairo.h>" to your code.  But the compiler would give an errror if you hadn't already also installed cairo.  Your code was trying to use a library that you had not installed.  GCC in no way requires or depends on cairo.  Your code, however, depends on both gcc and cairo.

It is just the same here.  You had a latex compiler from the texlive group.  This is no way depends on that style file.  That style file is an additional tool that you needed for the document you created.

Board footer