You are not logged in.

#1 2014-08-26 20:09:59

barefly

[SOLVED] MPD not starting / failed to open log file error

Hi guys. I am currently trying to get MPD to start via the local configuration provided on the arch wiki. When I run MPD I am getting the following error.

errno: failed to open log file "/.config/mpd/log" (config line 10): No such file or directory

I created all the necessary files and folders. Including the log file that MPD states is not there. Here is my configuration file.

# See: /usr/share/doc/mpd/mpdconf.example

user                    "nobody"
port                    "6600"
music_directory         "~/music"
pid_file                "~/.config/mpd/pid"
db_file                 "~/.config/mpd/database"
state_file              "~/.config/mpd/state"
playlist_directory      "~/.config/mpd/playlists"
log_file                "~/.config/mpd/log"                
sticker_file            "~/.config/mpd/sticker.sql"
audio_buffer_size       "4096"
mixer_type              "software"
bind_to_address         "any"
log_level               "default"
gapless_mp3_playback    "yes"

I initially tried setting up a .mpd folder in my home directory with these files in it and was receiving the error. Then moved it into the .config directory. I could use any assistance in getting mpd to start without this error.

Last edited by barefly (2014-08-26 20:41:09)

#2 2014-08-26 20:17:43

emeres

Re: [SOLVED] MPD not starting / failed to open log file error

Can user 'nobody' open the log file? If no, why use it then?

Edit: Are you using systemd to run mpd? How exactly is it started? If systemd is used, post your service files.

Edit2: Why is mpd attempting to open those files starting from root? Seems like variables are missing, use absolute paths. Or the output is misleading. Or it has to do with 'nobody', who has no home.

Last edited by emeres (2014-08-26 20:32:06)

#3 2014-08-26 20:29:56

barefly

Re: [SOLVED] MPD not starting / failed to open log file error

I pulled that configuration file from a variety of sources, but that was the problem. I got hung up on the log file issue that I didn't consider that mpd would likely look at "nobodys" home directory. After switching it to my username it is loading now. It gave me a corrupted database error that went away when I ran it the second time, but it looks like it should be ok now. Thanks!

Board footer