You are not logged in.

#1 2014-08-26 21:34:37

barefly

[SOLVED] Systemd user service not running

I am currently trying to get some user services up and running, including mpd. I am refering to the Arch Wiki for the setup, and when I am checking for a user instance systemctl --user status return the following:

Failed to read server status: Input/output error

The wiki recommends I check /etc/pam.d/system-login for the line -session optional pam_systemd.so, which it does. When I attempt to enable the MPD service with systemctl --user enable mpd.service I get another error as well.

Failed to execute operation: Process org.freedesktop.systemd1 exited with status 1

I have created the ~/.config/systemd/user directory, where I am storing the mpd.service file which I copied from /usr/lib/systemd/user/mpd.service. Any help in getting my user instace of systemd to load would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Well I restarted and now I am able to run systemctl --user status and get a read out. I was also able to enable the mpd service. So I'll marked this solved. I have a few more questions I need to ask but i'll do so later in a different thread.

EDIT: Ok this really isn't solved. Because there are instances in which I will restart and I will receive the same error when running systemctl --user status. In these instances mpd is not running and I will need to start it manually. It also bears mentioning that when I run systemctl status the state returns a degraded status.

When I run systemctl --state=failed I am getting the following.

UNIT                          LOAD   ACTIVE SUB    DESCRIPTION
●netctl@wlan0\x2dTyria.service loaded failed failed Automatically generated profile by wifi-menu

LOAD   = Reflects whether the unit definition was properly loaded.
ACTIVE = The high-level unit activation state, i.e. generalization of SUB.
SUB    = The low-level unit activation state, values depend on unit type.

1 loaded units listed. Pass --all to see loaded but inactive units, too.
To show all installed unit files use 'systemctl list-unit-files'. 

This is familar because I remember when I first installed arch I had problems with this profile being auto-started when I loaded up. I deleted the profile and made a new profile, that loads automatically now. Im not sure if this is explicitly the problem, but even if it isn't i'd like to fix the failed status on this. How would I go about fixing this?

EDIT: I found the service file giving me the errors in /etc/systemd/system/ and a conflicting symbolic link in the directory multi-user.target.wants. I deleted them both and I am no longer getting a degraded status or the failed flags on startup and my wifi profiles are working appropriately. Hopefully this will also resolve my issue with systemctl --user status returning a input / output error.

Last edited by barefly (2014-08-27 04:50:11)

Board footer