You are not logged in.

#1 2014-08-28 22:55:08

kelsinni

[SOLVED] Arch PPTP VPN...how to?

Hello all...
im now trying to take my 1st steps on the Arch world...

I need to setup a VPN on my Arch and after some search i found that setting up a openvpn is way out of my league for now because as i said im like a newborn on this Arch world sad

So im trying to setting up a PPTP VPN because its like a lot more simple for a newbie like me.

I tryied to follow the wiki: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PPTP_server

After installing the PPTP package without any problems i followed that guide and when entered the commands mentioned on the same guide i get a error messagem saying " permission denied" sad

As i know that should not happened because i entered as root...so i cannot go further sad

Any help would be very appreciated smile

Thaks in advance...

Cheers

Last edited by kelsinni (2014-09-06 22:53:40)

#2 2014-08-30 10:41:30

lothar_m

Re: [SOLVED] Arch PPTP VPN...how to?

You should post more specific info in your post if you expect others to help you. I suppose no one will want to waste their time, reading a full wiki page to guess which command gives you permission denied....

So please, post EXACTLY which command is it and the EXACT error message or relevant log.

“Clearly, Field Marshal Haig is about to make yet another gargantuan effort to move his drinks cabinet six inches closer to Berlin.”

#3 2014-08-30 22:31:30

kelsinni

lothar_m wrote:

You should post more specific info in your post if you expect others to help you. I suppose no one will want to waste their time, reading a full wiki page to guess which command gives you permission denied....

So please, post EXACTLY which command is it and the EXACT error message or relevant log.

Hello...thanks for your reply.

I tried to follwed the wiki writing exactly the same commands mentioned:

configuration file:
/etc/pptpd.conf

create the pppd options file:
/etc/ppp/options.pptpd

create credentials:
/etc/ppp/chap-secrets

and so far...

my problem was that as soon as i wrote the 1st command i get that "permission denied"...
fortunatly i have solved it! i just had to wrote "sudo nano" after the respective command...

i know that it may seem a bit obviously but as i told im almost at "zero" with Linux commands so the dificulty to me. After that i just had another problem in the "ufw" part because i didnt knew that i had to install it 1st before wrote the respective commands...

Thanks anyway for the help wink

P.S.(1) maybe now im gonna try to set up a openvpn server...but i now that i have to read more about that...

P.S.(2) Topic Solved!

cheers

#4 2014-08-31 18:38:45

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

openvpn is easier, saner and more secure. E.g. ms-chap2 that is commonly used with ppp-vpn is totally broken.

Last edited by Mr.Elendig (2014-08-31 18:39:54)

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#5 2014-09-01 17:59:23

lothar_m

So, if i understand you correctly, you were trying to execute config files instead of editing them... if you don't mind me asking but:

i) how much experience do you have with linux? or any unix like systems?
ii) are you using arch linux at all? if not you should state that clearly (forum users will assume that from the get go and it might be a problem).
iii) openvpn is indeed a much better option.

Lastly, you should mark the topic as solved.

“Clearly, Field Marshal Haig is about to make yet another gargantuan effort to move his drinks cabinet six inches closer to Berlin.”

#6 2014-09-03 09:58:01

kelsinni

Hello...thanks both for your replies...

Mr.Elendig wrote:

openvpn is easier, saner and more secure. E.g. ms-chap2 that is commonly used with ppp-vpn is totally broken.

I know that too but im affraid that without any "newbie guide" explaining exactly step by step i think i will have too much dificult setting up it...because i eard that is way more complicated that pptd.. 

lothar_m wrote:

So, if i understand you correctly, you were trying to execute config files instead of editing them... if you don't mind me asking but:

i) how much experience do you have with linux? or any unix like systems?
ii) are you using arch linux at all? if not you should state that clearly (forum users will assume that from the get go and it might be a problem).
iii) openvpn is indeed a much better option.

Lastly, you should mark the topic as solved.

i) As i told i am newborn in Linux world...:) very very limited experience
ii) This Arch that i have i have compiled it from the start guided by a youtube vídeo
iii) In compare with setting up a pptd VPN, a openvpn setting is too much more complicated indeed?

Thanks again

#7 2014-09-03 10:35:01

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

kelsinni wrote:

I know that too but im affraid that without any "newbie guide" explaining exactly step by step i think i will have too much dificult setting up it...because i eard that is way more complicated that pptd..

It is not harder to set up openvpn, in many ways it is easier.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Openvpn
http://allanmcrae.com/2013/09/routing-t … h-openvpn/

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#8 2014-09-03 18:04:59

lothar_m

kelsinni wrote:

i) As i told i am newborn in Linux world...:) very very limited experience
ii) This Arch that i have i have compiled it from the start guided by a youtube vídeo
iii) In compare with setting up a pptd VPN, a openvpn setting is too much more complicated indeed?

Very well. So this is your first attempt at linux and you decide to start with arch? Ballsy!
Welcome and best of luck.

#9 2014-09-05 23:20:28

kelsinni

Hello again...
thanks once more for your replies...

@lothar_m...
to be honest i had "some minutes" with a Linux mint system too but not too much...:)

@Mr.Elending...
Im gonna read it and then i probably gonna try it but...for sure i will be here posting again to get some help smile

Cheers wink

Board footer