You are not logged in.

#1 2014-08-29 17:48:21

L1ghtmareI

Creating a bootable USB stick (Windows/syslinux issue)

Hi everyone,

Lately I decided to install Arch on my new machine, using USB drive as there's no disc drive (out of fashion, all that stuff yk). After a ton of research at wiki I finally downloaded Arch ISO (so everything above is just a foreplay) and started my efforts to create a USB stick to boot from.

Firstly, when trying with simple USB Writer, it gave me an error message "An error occurred while opening the target volume.", which I thought back then, was just the tool's issue. Then I moved straight to creating bootable USB manually, by downloading and installing syslinux. Everything went fine and according to wiki's scenario until, once again, third-party program ought to do something with external drive.

At that stage, I'm getting syslinux' error message "Could not load drive: access is denied". Googling taught me that this, pretty obviously, happens when one's not running prompt as admin - but I am! Now I'm totally at a loss what to do.

Command promt displaying error message
(What it says in the last line after re-encoding is "access is denied" in Russian, and the upper panel - that I'm running prompt as an admin)

Stick details:
A new one, was formatted with wiki-recommended Rufus USB partitioner, so that it's now FAT32, 4kb block size ARCH_201408.

P.S.: Everything is done on another machine as the new one has only old XP on which I have no intention to work with.
P.P.S.: Answering the registration question took me an hour, mostly 'cause of that the first online prompt didn't work with the command correctly, this thing is not Linux-newbie-friendly at all mad though I understand it might be meant to be so tongue

#2 2014-08-29 18:34:53

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: Creating a bootable USB stick (Windows/syslinux issue)

There are four methods listed in the wiki for writing the Arch install iso to a USB device under Windows. You have tried the first one, USBwriter, and ignored the other three.

I'd suggest you try them all. You should also bear in mind that although the ISO you're using comes from Arch, the OS you're using does not, so any Windows issues that may affect what you're doing would be best addressed in a Windows forum.

#3 2014-08-29 20:06:23

L1ghtmareI

All you wrote is right, but this particular trouble seems to be appearing only with syslinux, which doesn't have its own forum. And I forgot to mention that I tried to use dd, with no success as well.

#4 2014-08-29 20:32:46

L1ghtmareI

Problem finally resolved, was my bad to give up on using dd as it just required me to close opened folder with the .iso file. Don't need the topic anymore.

#5 2014-09-05 18:55:38

teateawhy
Website

Please mark your topic as solved by editing the first post and changing the title.

Board footer