You are not logged in.

#1 2014-08-30 10:19:39

kurt

KMAIL - Retrieving Folder Contents Please wait... (Forever)

I've been trying out kontact and kmail and am generally pleased with it but kmail keeps freezing.

All my accounts, a combination of outlook, gmail & yahoo, are set up as IMAP accounts.

I will click on an email and in the preview pane it will say "Retrieving Folder Contents Please wait..." and it will stay like that forever.

The only way I can get kmail to start to work again is to enter "akonadictl restart" and then all will be OK until the next freeze.

I can't say how often this happens as I only check my mail when the kmail icon in the notification area says I have unreads mail but I have to perform the restart at least 5 times a day (probably more).

Any ideas?

#2 2015-01-27 01:53:41

Poprocks

Re: KMAIL - Retrieving Folder Contents Please wait... (Forever)

Ugh, I have the same problem on my Arch box, and also on Slackware 14.1.

KMail is a lost cause, I think.  I don't understand what happened! In the KDE 2.x and 3.x days it was a nice little mailer.

I take my Poprocks with Diet Pepsi

#3 2015-01-27 02:16:17

Poprocks

OK, I had a theory as to how this issue might fix itself, and so far it's working. YMMV.

Open KMail, and go to Settings -> Configure KMail and click on the Accounts icon on the sidebar. In the Receiving pane, look at the status of your IMAP account. If it says it's still syncing a folder, just leave it open until it finally says "Ready". This took a good half hour on this new, shiny, powerful laptop. Once that's done, try again. Works for me. Yes, it's a pain in the ass to wait ages for akonadi to do its thing, but it seems to work now, at least for me.

I take my Poprocks with Diet Pepsi

#4 2015-01-27 03:14:55

phanisvara

i'm not sure if that's the same problem or a different one. but infrequently, perhaps every 10 days or so, i see that akonadi runs away with my CPU cycles and apps like kmail hang, of course. issuing "akonadictl restart" on the command line then solves the problem.

i haven't tried to debug this any further. if need be i can live w/o kmail. but this simple remedy has me going for another week or more. i speculate that akonadi hangs on one particular file it doesn't know what to do with, and after being restarted, it carries on.

#5 2017-01-02 19:11:45

Rumcajs

Have it to ...
"Retrieving Folder Contents" can't read my f@*&g mails ...
Thx KDE dude.
Cheers

#6 2017-01-02 22:07:23

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

Board footer