You are not logged in.

#1 2014-08-30 10:39:52

gregkwaste

No Keyboard/Mouse on Installation

Hi,

i upgraded my system recently, with an Asrock extreme 4 and an Intel i5 processor. I successfully installed windows x64 and today i tried reintalling linux, which was previously my main OS. I was using crunchbang, and that was the distro i tried to install. I need to take some conf backups so i wanted to boot live first and get my files elsewhere before formatting, but to my great surprise my keyboard and my mouse where not working.

I thought that it had to do with the kernel version of the release, so i immediately turned to arch, downloaded the latest build which has kernel 3.16, which is the latest kernel version i could find, hoping that it will include the necessary drivers for my stuff to work. But that did not work either.

Has anybody any clue about that issue?

Could it be the bios settings?

I've not installed windows 7 in UEFI mode (i've disabled that option in the bios) so normally i do not have to make any more changes to the bios.

Any help is much appreciated.

Update:
dmesg is spawning some error messages telling that generic-usb can't reset device, this has propably to do with the usb keyboard/mouse connectivity.

Last edited by gregkwaste (2014-08-30 11:27:48)

#2 2014-08-30 16:24:40

ewaller
Administrator

Re: No Keyboard/Mouse on Installation

How long has it been since you have updated?  What interface do your keyboard and mouse use?

You don't provide a whole lot of information, but I wonder if this article might apply to you?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2014-08-30 17:25:03

gregkwaste

Re: No Keyboard/Mouse on Installation

ewaller wrote:

How long has it been since you have updated?  What interface do your keyboard and mouse use?

You don't provide a whole lot of information, but I wonder if this article might apply to you?

Because of the hardware change probably, my previous installation was not working correctly and i could not update. I needed to reinstall it. And that was where the problem was triggered.

They are both USB 2.0. The error must be related to the drivers that manage the communication with the internal usb hub of the mobo.

This particular motherboard offers a total of 6 usb ports on the rear panel, 4 of which are usb 3.0 and 2 of them usb 2.0. The weird part is that the motherboard seems to accept only a usb 2.0 motherboard as input for bios needs boot managers etc. So i had both the mouse and they keyboard on those 2 usb ports.

I managed to bypass the problem during the installation, disconnecting the keyboard and the mouse and installing an other  PS/2 keyboard which worked without any problems at all.

BUT the errors continued if i reconnected the usb devices, after the installation. The system hangs on the boot sequence spawning the same error in dmesg. Luckily i found out that when having only one usb device connected to those 2 usb 2.0 ports (which probably belong to the same internal usb hub) the system does not trigger any error at all.

And talking about errors i mean an endless report from dmesg:

generic-usb 0003:06A3:8021.0002: can't reset device, 0000:00:1d.7-6.2/input0, status -32

I should try to find out if i can install the distro without any device disconnections this time.

It has definitely to do with the kernel, no doubt about it.

Board footer