You are not logged in.

#1 2014-08-31 02:27:15

ralph99

issue with virtualbox installation

Hi All,

I'm keen to install and use Arch but I'm having some difficulty.  I have very little computer knowledge but I want to learn.  I managed to get ubuntu 14.04 up and running (after accidently wiping windows 8.1 from my computer during the install.  that accident turned out ok because now my home is 100% linux).  Because of the accident just noted I thought I'd try Arch by virtual box in the ubuntu 14.04 host first.  So I installed virtual box, downloaded the Arch iso, started up virtual box and it was all going very well. I was very pleased with myself when the Arch page appeared on virtual box (I was following the very excellent tutorial by wideaperture.net/blog/...) and then the root@archiso ~ # _ appeared so I thought all was well.  But then  nothing happened, I couldn't enter anything after the root sign (I could actually, but it took 10-15 minutes, and what appeared was something like: iiiiiiiiiiiiiisssssssssss/////////).  Then virtual box "aborted". 

During the installation the screen noted problems. The first was: [0.000000] tsc: Fast TSC calibration failed. The second was [1.171623] failed to access perfctr msr (msr cl iso).  But the installation kept going after those error messages.  However later in the installation it said [ three red astrisk] A start job is running for Rebuild Dynamic Linker Ca in (8s/no limit) [96.354344] piix4_smbus 0000:00:07.0:smbus  base address uninitialised-upgrade BOIS or use...(then it disappeared when virtual box aborted).

I understand that I may not be ready for Arch yet, and maybe I should stick to ubuntu for a while longer, but I'm wondering if anyone can help me with the above installation issue.

This all happened on my old dell inspiron 6000 with ubuntu 14.04 LTS as host.  During the above process virtual box said I had to reduce the memory allocated because the host didn't have enough, so I'm wondering if not enough memory is part of the problem as the installation problem was very very slow on each of the 3-4 time I tried the installation in virtual box.   

Thanks for your help,

ralph.

#2 2014-08-31 18:50:13

barhi

Re: issue with virtualbox installation

If it says the host doesn't have enough memory, then you have too little memory available for vbox to use. How much RAM does your host have? I'm currently testing in vbox as well on Debian, I gave it 1GB of RAM and it's more than usable in cli, a little slow once you have a desktop environment up but it works. If you have less than 2GB of ram try giving it 512MB or more. Remember to close anything that you don't need to free used memory.

Since you haven't installed the base system, just make a new machine and pay attention to the initial settings.
Also, check your email.

Last edited by barhi (2014-08-31 20:11:44)

#3 2014-09-03 09:09:46

ralph99

Re: issue with virtualbox installation

Thanks for the reply barhi, however after more reading I've realised that Arch is way beyond my technical level.  Maybe in  a years time!

ralph.

Board footer