You are not logged in.

#1 2014-09-03 15:26:39

technolog

Temperatures capped at 41°C (wrong reading)

[rok@rok-laptop ~]$ sensors
coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Core 0:       +41.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 1:       +41.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)

The problems is, sensors never reports temperatures below 41 degrees, even if i put the computer in the freezer. It seems like it works like this:

reported_temperature = MAX(41, real_temperature)

If I stresstest my computer, then temperatures eventually start rising above 41 after some short time.

This appears to be a problem with a sensor or a kernel. Is coretemp sensor located on the cpu itself?

#2 2014-09-04 00:52:04

emeres

Re: Temperatures capped at 41°C (wrong reading)

Since you did not provide any information on your hardware, I suggest you run a live distribution and check the values read there on approximately the same load/temperature, then adjust the reading accordingly, should a simple adjustment be sufficient that is. Take a look at /sys/class/hwmon and at the module[s parameters] those sensors are using, coretemp-isa-0000 is not present on my system and I doubt it is an actual module. Also check if your hardware is [already] supported.

#3 2014-09-04 10:17:10

technolog

Thanks, but this is not a misadjustment problem.

The laptop starts reporting temperatures just OK once you pass 41C.

#4 2014-09-04 14:59:52

emeres

Reread my post. Two of the above hints are: a simple adjustment may not be sufficient, I did not read the source code, so I have to assume every/anything; you did not provide any information on your hardware.

#5 2014-09-04 17:02:31

ewaller
Administrator

Two comments. 
First, your title is a little misleading and might be because English is not your primary language.  "Capped" generally implies cannot or does not exceed some value.  As in "interest rates are capped ar 12%....".  I better way to state your problem might be "Temperatures readings bottom out at ...." .  It took me a few moments to understand what you were really trying to convey.  I think it may have confused others as well.

Second, I am impressed that your processors are running that cool.  I just logged into my laptop at home.  The ambient room temperature there is about 25C.  The CPUs, running at 1% load are each reporting 55C.  A 25 degree rise over ambient is pretty good.     I don't know what your ambient room temperature is, but assuming 23, less than an 18 degree rise is amazing.   I don't know much about your hardware, but is it possible that is the lowest value that can be reported by your sensors?  Unless we start talking about crazy cold temperatures, there really is not much need to know about temperatures below 41. hmm

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer