You are not logged in.

#1 2006-02-10 17:14:32

ikaros

j2sdk

hi,
im new to arch and i yet love it wink

i experienced that the j2sdk package "lacks" some files.
e.g. the src.zip is missing and as well the example files.
perhaps there are other files missing but i dont know.
i hope im right in here to submit this issue.

- random i am -

#2 2006-02-10 18:21:24

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Re: j2sdk

This is only the second time the src.zip issue has come up. It caused me a lot of grief a while back, when I needed it. Basically, its such a huge file, we removed it to reduce the size of the package. I don't think there's a package for it, but you can get the java installer and extract the file yourself and copy it into /opt/j2re.

What are you working on that requires src.zip? I can't remember why I needed it, but it was something pretty weird for school, some source analysis crap or something.

Dusty

#3 2006-02-10 19:17:11

ikaros

i already copied it from my laptop (ubuntu-package has it included) to my java dir on my workstation.
just thought it would be nice to have it in the package,

what i need it for is eclipse. with the src.zip you can view the classes within eclipse with a fast ctrl+click.
so you have the javadocs + classes source.
in my opinion it can be more helpful to look at the code sometimes.

would there be an option to have this as an extra package?

- random i am -

#4 2006-02-10 20:41:01

arooaroo
Website

Are you definitely sure that you're allowed to modify the jdk bundle and re-distribute? I haven't got the inclination this fine Friday to wade through Sun's licenses. However, I did a while back for an article. I just have a feeling that I remember something stating that you couldn't  mess around with their java releases, and so distribute "as is".

But, I could be (very) wrong.

#5 2006-02-10 20:47:32

arooaroo
Website

Dusty wrote:

What are you working on that requires src.zip? I can't remember why I needed it, but it was something pretty weird for school, some source analysis crap or something.

Dusty

I tend to use it because Java IDEs like Eclipse and Netbeans will let you specify the JDK source, which means you can look up standard classes/methods at the source level, inline javadocs, and even debug within the JDK (ie stepping through line-by-line), etc.

#6 2006-02-10 21:39:17

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

ah, that's right, it was netbeans I wanted to get working.  Jason and I looked at the licensing for Java a while back and it looked ok. But we aren't exactly lawyers. ;-/

Dusty

Board footer