You are not logged in.

#1 2006-02-11 06:05:55

StolenNomenclature

slow to load apps

I have Arch Noodle running Gnome/Alsa/2.6 kernel. Its a minimal install apart from Gnome, with just a few apps, mainly web browsers, Totem for video, Gnomebaker.

When I select an app from a menu, such as Firefox or Epiphany, the hour glass appears and I wait maybe 20 seconds and nothing. No disk light, just nothing. So I select the app again from the menu. Now a few seconds pass and then two instances of the app open up. Subsequent requests to open the app take only a second or so.

I am not sure but it seems this only started happening after I set up the sound card. Sound works ok - I can hear sound from videos via Totem (with ESD setup) and via Xine with standard Alsa setup.

All command line tasks work fine. Pacman is fast (via cable broadband).

The worst app of all is the Gnome sound config app. Takes forever to load.

I have never had this problem with any other distro (try a different distro on almost a daily basis - Debian, Fedora, rPath, Foresight, Frugalware, Kororaa, Gentoo, Ubuntu, Zenwalk, STC, Mandrive, Suse, PCLinuxOS, etc, etc.. Windows XP is fine also, so no hardware problems as such - must be peculiar to Arch.

Any one any idea?

8)

#2 2006-02-11 13:45:45

_Gandalf_

Re: slow to load apps

Well open a Terminal and run "firefox" (the first time) and see if it gives any error or sth...

#3 2006-02-11 14:57:17

Blaasvis

Re: slow to load apps

it probably can't find you hostname, try adding it to /etc/hosts.

Freedom is what i love

Board footer