You are not logged in.

#1 2014-09-10 11:36:05

whoops

[solved] /usr/bin/time missing (/wandering)?

Hi!

man time lists several options for the time command that don't work. man time also says:

Note:  some  shells  (e.g., bash(1)) have a built-in time command that provides less functionality than the
       command described here.  To access the real command, you may need to specify its pathname  (something  like
       /usr/bin/time).

There is no "time" there.
Where do I find time and why is the man page lying to me?
Is this a packaging / core utils problem (man page should not be included / or /usr/bin/time should be included )?
Or am I doing it wrong? I was.

which time says:

$ which time
time: shell reserved word

edit: on my third attempt I finally got "pkgfile" to --update and found out that "time" is currently residing in the "time" package in extra -.-"
( "time" is a PITA of a search keyword :3 )

Anyway... why was the man page there when the package was not installed? I'm very confused now.  Was it moved from one package to another while I wasn't looking?
Can't figure out why a script I wrote some years ago stopped working even though I never removed or installed the [time] package according to the logs... so I must have messed something up. Just don't know what...

Last edited by whoops (2014-09-10 13:58:34)

#2 2014-09-10 12:27:28

karol
Archivist

Re: [solved] /usr/bin/time missing (/wandering)?

It clearly says it's a shell keyword:

$ type time
time is a shell keyword

not a package.
I do have 'time' package installed and it shows up fine:
[

$ which time
/usr/bin/time

What exactly is the problem? If you want help with your script - post it.

Edit: As for the man page:

$ pacman -Qo /usr/share/man/man1/time.1.gz
/usr/share/man/man1/time.1.gz is owned by man-pages 3.72-1

Last edited by karol (2014-09-10 12:29:42)

#3 2014-09-10 12:30:42

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

whoops wrote:

Was it moved from one package to another while I wasn't looking?

Only if you've had your eyes closed since (before?) 2008. wink

As for why you have the manpage:

pacman -Qo /usr/share/man/man1/time.1.gz
/usr/share/man/man1/time.1.gz is owned by man-pages 3.71-1

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#4 2014-09-10 13:57:51

whoops

Thanks! Looking back further than 2008 (/when I installed arch) solved the mystery!

karol wrote:

What exactly is the problem? If you want help with your script - post it.

Just tried to figure out exactly *why* my script stopped working because the total absence of "time" in my pacman log even though it used to work was sort of suspicious.

( And the answer just in case anyone's curious: I found about 34 ancient binaries (~2005) from unknown sources in /opt/bin - I probably copied them there from the Internets(tm) whenever I couldn't find a program on my ancient SUSE cd's and the PATH somehow made the transition from SUSE to Debian and from DEBIAN to arch but got lost when I switched from bash to zsh and cleaned stuff up. And that's why my script that "used to work" didn't any more. The things I messed up over the years and that are still around on my machine don't cease to amaze big_smile . Got rid of those old & potentially dangerous binaries and as a byproduct also figured out why I had "ssed" instead of "sed" in some of my old scripts and why it didn't work... => solved )

Last edited by whoops (2014-09-10 13:58:14)

Board footer