You are not logged in.

#1 2014-09-13 12:17:06

argher

[SOLVED] i2c NAK bailouts

I bought a 120GB Kingston SSDNow 300 drive and am trying to install Arch on it from an existing installation. Actually the installation seemed to succeed. I have a separate /boot partition and in grub.cfg there I basically just copied my old entry into a new one and changed the root= parameter to point to the ssd partition.  When I try to boot it, however, it looks fine for a while and then it hangs and my monitor goes to sleep. If in grub.cfg I remove the

set gfxpayload=keep

line then I even get to the login prompt. But then I get a bunch of

i2c i2c-2: sendbytes: NAK bailout

lines and after a few seconds the monitor goes to sleep. I can still boot to the old installation just fine, and I believe both installations are using exactly the same kernel (3.16.2) and initial ramdisk. What's going on here?

EDIT: I tried removing the gfxpayload line so I got to the login prompt. Soon the monitor shut down as usual, but the whole system does not hang. Indeed, I was able to login and then reboot using the reboot command. So it looks like a graphics driver problem (though this is all in text mode, and there are no problems with the old installation)? I have an integrated nvidia geforce 8200.

EDIT2: Looks like I managed to solve the problem. I used pacstrap on my old installation to install the nvidia package and everything (well, the bare system at least) seems to work now.

Last edited by argher (2014-09-13 22:48:20)

Board footer