You are not logged in.

#1 2014-09-13 12:55:16

ItachiSan

NTP not working properly as service

Hi everybody,
as in title, I'm having problems running NTP correctly.
As I read somewhere else (a site hosting the "arch general" mailing list) a guy had the same problem of mine:
Using ntpd as root is working fine, while using it with ntp user permissions ( -u ntp:ntp ) does not work.
I'm having a few headaches about this, so I'm asking you some help.
If you need any paste from my configs, ask and I'll give you. Thank you already.

#2 2014-09-13 13:24:30

ratcheer

Re: NTP not working properly as service

I fought with the same problem for a couple of days. I finally gave up and started using systemd-timesyncd. It is working, well.

Tim

#3 2014-09-13 14:40:31

rebootl
Website

Specifiying a pidfile, it works here.

/usr/bin/ntpd -g -u ntp:ntp -p /run/ntpd.pid

The same is in the systemd service file, why not use systemctl ?
Currently I don't see why it doesn't work without...

While you say we should ask for more info's IMHO your post should contain some more info, it is somewhat unclear. What are you actually trying ? E.g. again why not use systemctl ? The exact command you used, the exact output (if it is nothing, then tell us this) etc. etc.

Thanks

Edit: wording, punctuation

Edit: I re-checked and it works here even with

ntpd -u ntp:ntp

What does your journal say ? For example you can use:

journalctl -n 0 -f

in a second terminal to follow the output in another terminal, when entering your commands.

Last edited by rebootl (2014-09-13 15:55:54)

Personal website: reboot.li
GitHub: github.com/rebootl

#4 2014-09-17 06:49:35

ItachiSan

@rebootl, I'm sorry for having given so few logcats.
I had problems with the systemctl unit, but right now I noticed something strange: there's a ntpd instance running... And not enabled by me!
I'll try to explain: actually, I've ntpd service disabled, but now when booting I found the service running.
Should be impossible, but I'm on GNOME3 which has an option (Automatic Time Sync or similar, I'm Italian and I don't know the correct English text) to automagically sync the time.
I suppose that the DE has started ntpd and that's why I had so much headaches trying to running it... It was already, conflicting with my process.
These are just thoughts though; I need someone that should confirm this to me.

#5 2014-09-17 20:39:36

rebootl
Website

No problem. You may be right with your thoughts, but I don't use gnome so I can't tell for sure. Is this option actually enabled ? If yes, can you disable it and try again ?

Personal website: reboot.li
GitHub: github.com/rebootl

Board footer