You are not logged in.

#1 2014-09-15 08:59:51

skateguy

[Solved] How to get mpd to recognize music library

First let me say I have been messing with this for hours and I'm getting nowhere, I have tried doing my research and am befuddled.

I just came from unix stack exchange trying to figure my problem out, which is mpd not recognizing my music library. I have been following the wiki thoroughly. Someone told me that if I performed these commands:

# mkdir /var/lib/mpd/music
# echo "/path/to/music/dir /var/lib/mpd/music none bind" >> /etc/fstab
# mount -a

then my problems would be much greater than a pathname or permission error, yet those commands are from the mpd arch wiki itself. The person also recommended to use Rasi's script but I feel like that is a cop-out. So should I reinstall mpd and start from scratch or can my directories be fixed? I have a mpd config file in /etc/mpd.conf and in ~/.mpd/mpd.conf. I have been using sudo chown -R ... /... to try to give proper permissions to the files.

The original question still stands should I delete mpd data and reinstall or can the directories be fixed? I read that the command:

mount --bind

might solve my issue but i don't know the proper format for that command.

Last edited by skateguy (2014-09-17 16:19:28)

#2 2014-09-15 09:05:57

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: [Solved] How to get mpd to recognize music library

You really echoed /path/to/music/dir into your fstab? Using Rasi's script is as much a "cop-out" as blindly copy pasting from the wiki.

Set it up in your /home: there is no reason for you to run it under /var.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2014-09-15 09:06:34

HiImTye

how are you starting mpd? is it run as your user, or as the mpd user? can you post your mpd.conf to, for instance, pastebin? also, what's the output of:

ps -fC mpd

if you added that to your fstab, you're going to have to fix your fstab if you're not going to keep your folder structure that way. also, if you just pasted it as is, you're going to need to fix it regardless.

edit: actually, if you kept the #'s in it, you may be ok.

Last edited by HiImTye (2014-09-15 09:07:55)

#4 2014-09-15 09:06:43

bstaletic

That echo command is totally wrong, it appends the quoted part of the command to the /etc/fstab. /etc/fstab is used to determine mountpoints at boot time.
Take a look at my dot files and find what's wrong with your config (everything).

#5 2014-09-15 09:11:13

skateguy

jasonwryan wrote:

You really echoed /path/to/music/dir into your fstab? Using Rasi's script is as much a "cop-out" as blindly copy pasting from the wiki.

no, I edited it to reflect the music directoy I was trying to use. I'm am unsure of the point of fstab is. I'm learning as I go

the wiki says: If the music directory is located outside of /var/lib/mpd, you will most likely need to remount the music directory under a directory that the MPD user (mpd by default) has access to:

Last edited by skateguy (2014-09-15 10:28:51)

#6 2014-09-15 09:11:34

HiImTye

bstaletic wrote:

That echo command is totally wrong, it appends the quoted part of the command to the /etc/fstab. /etc/fstab is used to determine mountpoints at boot time.
Take a look at my dot files and find what's wrong with your config (everything).

that's why the

mount -a

is given

skateguy wrote:

the wiki says: If the music directory is located outside of /var/lib/mpd, you will most likely need to remount the music directory under a directory that the MPD user (mpd by default) has access to:

if you only have one user using mpd, you should just follow this section of the wiki

Last edited by HiImTye (2014-09-15 09:14:38)

#7 2014-09-15 09:13:37

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

skateguy wrote:
jasonwryan wrote:

no, I edited it to reflect the music directoy I was trying to use.

Yes, I know what the wiki says, and why it says that. That's why I keep telling you to set it up in your /home. Unless you do have a valid reason for wanting it in /var?

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#8 2014-09-15 09:19:18

skateguy

jasonwryan wrote:
skateguy wrote:
jasonwryan wrote:

no, I edited it to reflect the music directoy I was trying to use.

Yes, I know what the wiki says, and why it says that. That's why I keep telling you to set it up in your /home. Unless you do have a valid reason for wanting it in /var?

The way that is worded means to me as long as the music directory is under /var/lib/mpd then mpd will have access and I don't have to remount the music directory

Last edited by skateguy (2014-09-15 09:34:56)

#9 2014-09-15 09:23:45

skateguy

HiImTye wrote:
bstaletic wrote:

that's why the

mount -a

is given

skateguy wrote:

if you only have one user using mpd, you should just follow this section of the wiki

thanks for the file. And thanks for mentioning the local config section. In my befuddlement I became fixated on the golbal config. Also what does the -a prefix after mount do, does it stand for all, google was of no help and I couldn't find the answer on the wiki.

Last edited by skateguy (2014-09-15 09:34:10)

#10 2014-09-15 09:47:57

skateguy

HiImTye wrote:

how are you starting mpd? is it run as your user, or as the mpd user? can you post your mpd.conf to, for instance, pastebin? also, what's the output of:

ps -fC mpd

if you added that to your fstab, you're going to have to fix your fstab if you're not going to keep your folder structure that way. also, if you just pasted it as is, you're going to need to fix it regardless.

edit: actually, if you kept the #'s in it, you may be ok.

I have been starting mpd manually from teminal so I would assume it runs as my user. the output of

ps -fC mpd

is:

UID        PID  PPID  C STIME TTY          TIME CMD

although mpd is not running right now. i will work on the pastebin thing right now. which mpd.conf should I post, /etc/mpd.conf or ~/.mpd/mpd.conf?

heres the pastebin for ~/.mpd/mpd.conf, http://pastebin.com/Lkh5y3Yr

Last edited by skateguy (2014-09-15 09:54:48)

#11 2014-09-15 10:35:50

skunktrader

skateguy wrote:

Also what does the -a prefix after mount do, does it stand for all, google was of no help and I couldn't find the answer on the wiki.

man mount

#12 2014-09-15 19:11:33

skateguy

skunktrader wrote:
skateguy wrote:

Also what does the -a prefix after mount do, does it stand for all, google was of no help and I couldn't find the answer on the wiki.

man mount

Thanks, I just learned the

man

command yesterday in another thread, so I'm still try to instill it into my brain.

http://pastebin.com/PPyspF1c , that's my current config for mpd. I know it's working because I am able to change the volume with my arrow keys in ncmpcpp.

http://pastebin.com/kxj4Y2jH , thats the config for ncmpcpp, I know it's the example but I scrolled through it and everything looked ok.

I think I fixed the fstab. I used nano to remove the line concerning /var/lib/mpd

The current output of

ps -fC mpd

is:

UID        PID  PPID  C STIME TTY          TIME CMD
cam       6085     1  0 14:07 ?        00:00:00 mpd /home/cam/.config/mpd/mpd.conf

heres to prove I have music in right place

[cam@localhost Music]$ ls
01 Dimethyltryptamine.mp3  03 The Recipe.mp3        09 Empires.mp3            lyrics
01 The Awakening.mp3       04 Cast It Out.mp3       10 Prey.mp3               NiT GriT
01 Waking Up.mp3           05 Wasteland.mp3         11 Insects.mp3            The Autumn Effect
02 Fault Line.mp3          06 Seasons to Cycle.mp3  12 Paralyzing Kings.mp3
02 Love Songs.mp3          07 Half Life.mp3         13 Lupin.mp3
03 Grit Shifter.mp3        08 Through the Iris.mp3  13 The Autumn Effect.mp3

So now that my configs are right why when I open ncmpcpp and press 4 is my library still empty.

Last edited by skateguy (2014-09-15 19:12:57)

#13 2014-09-15 19:36:35

emeres

Did you run an update?

mpc update

Learn how to filter out comments out of configurations, it discourages to read through such files.

egrep -v '^#|^$' ~/.ncmpcpp/config

#14 2014-09-15 20:06:37

skateguy

emeres wrote:

Did you run an update?

mpc update

Learn how to filter out comments out of configurations, it discourages to read through such files.

egrep -v '^#|^$' ~/.ncmpcpp/config

When I run

mpc update

the output is:

error: Connection refused

Thanks for the tip on filtering out comments, I can understand why it would be discouraging.

#15 2014-09-15 20:12:51

emeres

And does the same happen from within ncmpcpp? Press 'u' while inside ncmpcpp, see 'F1' for explanation.

#16 2014-09-15 20:33:04

HiImTye

skateguy wrote:

When I run

mpc update

the output is:

you have to send the update command while mpd is running, 'connection refused' is indicative of mpd not being an active process

#17 2014-09-17 16:18:03

skateguy

HiImTye wrote:
skateguy wrote:

When I run

mpc update

the output is:

you have to send the update command while mpd is running, 'connection refused' is indicative of mpd not being an active process

Awesome it's working now. Running

mpc update

while mpd was running did the trick. I think if I had of just run that in the first place, my initial config might have worked. I even thought about trying to update mpd's library but didn't know how to go about it. I didn't see the update command anywhere on the arch mpd wiki. How is someone expected to know that?

Also when I press f1 from terminal while running ncmpcpp all that shows is the terminal's help page in a seperate window. when running ncmpcpp from terminator f1 works. My current DE is Gnome 3.12.1.

Many thanks to everyone that helped me. Getting mpd + ncmpcpp running helped me learn a lot.

Last edited by skateguy (2014-09-17 16:49:09)

#18 2014-09-17 16:36:42

emeres

skateguy wrote:

I didn't see the update command anywhere on the arch mpd wiki. How is someone expected to know that?

man mpd # See also -> mpc
man mpc # Search for update

Board footer