You are not logged in.

#1 2014-09-15 17:56:07

rchipman

Monitor Resizing Issue

http://imgur.com/UmNSsUX

The above picture shows my monitor issues. Here is a detailed description of what happens:

I use a dual-monitor setup at my desk, and my laptop when I'm out of the house. However, my graphics card only supports two video outputs, and so I have to disable all the outputs before enabling the ones I want to use. This is the command I use to enable the two external monitors:

xrandr --output VGA1 --off --output --HDMI1 --off --output LVDS1 --off && xrandr --noprimary --output VGA1 --auto --output HDMI1 --auto

And I use this one when I want to switch back to my laptop screen:

xrandr --output VGA1 --off --output --HDMI1 --off --output LVDS1 --off && xrandr --output LVDS1 --auto --primary

When I run these commands, the proper monitors turn on and the displays seem to resize correctly...until I open a window. The above screenshot was taken on my laptop screen (1600x900) after running the second script above. The window manager (bspwm) seems to think that thw windows should still be 1920x1080! Additionally, when I run "feh --bg-scale bg.png" the background image scales and resizes properly on all active monitors. A similar resizing issue comes when I switch from the laptop to the monitors: the windows stay at 1600x900, though the screens are 1920x1080.

So all of the above things led me to think the issue was with the window manager. However, when I quit the window manager, the same resizing issues persist in the virtual terminal! As of now, I have only been able to solve this problem by rebooting the computer with only the outputs I wish to use plugged in.

I am thoroughly stumped by this, and would really appreciate help from anybody more experienced than I with monitors!

Last edited by rchipman (2014-09-15 18:30:29)

#2 2014-09-19 13:16:09

emeres

Re: Monitor Resizing Issue

Try switching between monitors without X running, ergo exit X and go back to the console, switch and then startx. Is the size ratio before and after 1,44 or 0,69(4)? What if you change the dpi to a new value then revert it? Try switching to a third resolution in between. List the exact modes before and after in both directions, 'xrandr --props' should suffice or 'xdpyinfo | grep -A 30 screen'. Does switching to a console when the issue occurs and then back change anything?

Use [⁣code]output[⁣/code] tags to mark output of a command or scripts.

#3 2014-09-26 19:22:16

rchipman

Re: Monitor Resizing Issue

How can I disable / enable different monitors without X running? I couldn't find an easy way to do that.

Board footer