You are not logged in.

#1 2014-09-18 19:36:38

stefano

[SOLVED] Wine cannot see Cd-Rom

My Wine installation does not seem to recognize the cdrom I have on my desktop

If I call winecfg, go to "Drives" and then hit "Autodetect", the cdrom does not show up

I tried to add a drive (in winecfg) and point it to /dev/sr0 with type "cdrom" but it does not seem to make a difference. Apparently winecfg wants a drive letter to correspond to a mount point, but I am unsure of what to indicate. Kde does not seem to mount cdrom in /media/cd as it used to be the case (I think).

Help appreciated.

Last edited by stefano (2014-09-22 13:54:41)

#2 2014-09-18 19:50:03

emeres

Re: [SOLVED] Wine cannot see Cd-Rom

I would have to look up the correct approach, but from my trial and error tactic a very long time ago, I simply create symbolic links 'ln -sv /dev/sr0 z::' to devices:

$ ls -al $WINEPREFIX/dosdevices
y:: -> /dev/sr1
z:: -> /dev/sr0

Other than that test a clean prefix.

#3 2014-09-19 17:55:27

stefano

emeres wrote:

I would have to look up the correct approach, but from my trial and error tactic a very long time ago, I simply create symbolic links 'ln -sv /dev/sr0 z::' to devices:

$ ls -al $WINEPREFIX/dosdevices
y:: -> /dev/sr1
z:: -> /dev/sr0

Other than that test a clean prefix.

Apparently my setup is very similar, and the same command as yours shows a line pointing to sr0:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 stefano wheel    8 Sep 18 14:32 d:: -> /dev/sr0

But wine apps (specifically: Exact Audio Converter, I haven't tried other apps yet) cannot see the drive

#4 2014-09-19 19:34:39

emeres

I get the devices to show up in wines explorer, even if not mounted, simply by creating those links. But apparently only the first letter for a specific device is respected. What wine version are you using? Try to load the registry and make sure wine actually is not running between changes.

wine --version
wine regedit
env WINEPREFIX=/path wineserver -k

#5 2014-09-19 20:13:09

stefano

Drive D: shows up in wine explorer for me as well as

AUDIO CD (D:)

But explorer only shows an empty drive, even if I insert an Audio  Cd in the drive and try to "mount" it from KDE.

wine --version

I am running wine-1.7.26

wine regedit

I am not sure what to do with this. Is there a registry parameter to check or change?

env WINEPREFIX=/path wineserver -k

I am clueless about this one as well.

#6 2014-09-19 20:38:28

emeres

So is the drive mounted or not? I mean outside wine. When loading registry, if I recall correctly, wine performs some checks and refreshes entries. The last one is for killing wine, use simply 'wineserver -k' if you did not specify any WINEPREFIX.

#7 2014-09-19 23:31:45

stefano

emeres wrote:

So is the drive mounted or not? I mean outside wine. When loading registry, if I recall correctly, wine performs some checks and refreshes entries. The last one is for killing wine, use simply 'wineserver -k' if you did not specify any WINEPREFIX.

Ok, so I was not clear on what my problem is. Thank you for prompting me to be more explicit. Here we go:

If I mount a *data* Cd and then open (for instance) wine explorer, I can indeed see all of of its files.

My problem is with *audio* cds, which cannot be mounted, as far as I know, since they don't have a filesystem. Nonetheless, they can be accessed by apps that deal with audio and/or with burning.

This is exactly what it is not working for me under wine. If I insert an audio cd (or a blank cd) I can access it from linux audio apps (such as k3b).
But I cannot do the same from Windows' audio apps running wine,  such as Exact Audio Converter.
EAC just does not see the cd at all and keeps asking me to insert a cd into the drive. No matter how many times I do that, it is never recognized.

#8 2014-09-19 23:36:13

stefano

Found a workaround in this wine post:
https://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?p=70438*70438

Basically:
1. mount a data cd
2. Start EAC under wine
3. eject data cd and replace with audio cd

#9 2014-09-20 00:07:44

emeres

Since you appear to be interested in exact copies of audio cds, try cdparanoia or something semi automatic like abcde. For the workaround you could also try to run winecfg in parallel to EAC, in the same wineprefix, and change the drives mounting point there, then revert back.
 Should you consider this issue solved, then please mark the thread as such, maybe add [WORKAROUND] also.

#10 2014-09-22 13:54:27

stefano

Problem solved following the complete suggestion given in
https://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?p=70438*70438

Bottom line: add a mount line for the cd drive in /etc/fstab:

/dev/sr0                                        /media/cd1      iso9660         ro,user,noauto,unhide   0      0

Then modify the "drives" section of winecfg with a (possibly new) drive letter and make it point to the mount point (/media/cd1 in the example). Be sure to select "CD-ROM" as the drive type (under the "Show advanced" option of winecfg).

Now Wine apps recognize the audio cd in the cd drive, even if it cannot be mounted.

#11 2014-09-23 11:09:56

Lone_Wolf

I use the same method with isos accessed through cdemu .

Note that if you create a new wineprefix, winecfg should detect the cdrom and add it automagickally.

Last edited by Lone_Wolf (2014-09-23 11:10:33)

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

Board footer