You are not logged in.

#1 2014-09-23 18:27:41

meschael

[Solved] Cannot Disable Mouse Acceleration via xorg.conf.d rules

I cannot seem to disable acceleration or set the acceleration profile for my G600 Mouse (Logitech) for which I have been reading over the Arch wiki on Mouse Acceleration as well as the man xorg.conf and determined I need to create the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-mouse-acceleration.conf which mine looks like the folowing

Section "InputClass"
	Identifier "Logitech Gaming Mouse G600"
	MatchIsPointer "yes"
# set the following to 1 1 0 respectively to disable acceleration.
	Option "AccelerationProfile" "-1"
	Option "AccelerationScheme" "none"
EndSection

xinput list indicates I have two mouse pointers , id 8 and 9, however trying xinput set-prop 8 "Device Accel Profile" -1 yields

property 'Device Accel Profile' doesn't exist, you need to specify its type and format

while the same with 9 instead does not yeild such an error, so after saving the above xorg.conf file and reloading x with sudo systemctl restart slim.service I see no noticable results in my mouse speed.  Aditionaly I ran this command:

[bb@yte ~]$ xinput list-props 9 | grep Profile
	Device Accel Profile (273):	0

Which indicates to me that my config is somehow not being used.  How can I solve this problem.?

[Solved] The solution is to do as HiImTye sugested and install the software into a virtual box and to enable usb devices.  This was acomplished by installing virtualbox and virtualbox-ext-oracle from the AUR, adding myself to vboxusers with usermod -aG vboxusers myname, followed by logging out and then back in.  I had to go to settings on my xp virtual box to enable USB, I also added the device as a filter, not sure if that was nessisary.  After running the software, changing the dpi and other profile settings, I simply shutdown xp and closed the virtualbox.  My settings were active.

Big thanks to HiImTye

Last edited by meschael (2014-09-23 20:17:05)

#2 2014-09-23 18:31:26

HiImTye

Re: [Solved] Cannot Disable Mouse Acceleration via xorg.conf.d rules

the G600 has stored profiles, so you'll need to use the Logitech software to update them, in VirtualBox/VMWare, or on a Windows machine

#3 2014-09-23 18:35:34

meschael

If I install and use the software within a virtual box would it still affect my host machine?  If I install it via crossover or wine directly have you or anyone experienced success with this?

EDIT: Just downloaded and installed the software via crossover and it fails to detect the device.  I will try to install via virtualbox now but fail to understand how this will help my host system (arch 64bit) as I wont be leaving the virtualbox running all the time.  Will update.

Last edited by meschael (2014-09-23 18:42:19)

#4 2014-09-23 18:45:24

HiImTye

it saves the profile to the mouse's internal storage. wine doesn't have any USB (or hardware) support, so you have to use Virtualbox. note: you have to specifically pass your mouse as a USB device to Virtualbox in order for the software to detect your mouse. this will make changing any settings a challenge. I used the desktop's dotted box (when you drag on the desktop) to help me pintpoint where I was actually clicking.

Last edited by HiImTye (2014-09-23 18:46:03)

#5 2014-09-23 19:00:42

meschael

Thanks I am in the process of installing XP onto virtualbox and will try this and let you know what happens.  Greetings from Toronto

#6 2014-09-23 19:39:36

meschael

Ok I just installed xp into a virtualbox as well as the guest addons and I also installed virtualbox-ext-oracle from the AUR and then in settings I enabled USB Controller and USB 2.0 , then after starting xp, I went to Devices > USB Devices but it says No USB Devices detected, however XP detected and installed successfully new hardware (I asume this was the USB host) and still Logitech reports no devices found.

UPDATE: Troubleshooting, I added myself to the vboxusers group and, repluged my mouse, as well as exited and restarted virtualbox yet still no gold.

Last edited by meschael (2014-09-23 19:48:52)

#7 2014-09-23 19:54:42

HiImTye

did you make sure to load the vbox kernel modules?

#8 2014-09-23 20:11:13

meschael

I just discovered inorder for my vboxusers group to be active on my login I had to log out and back in, after doing so I was able to get my mouse to be detected by the sofware and am able to not only fix my speed but also turn the lights back on.  You have been a tremendous help, I had never considered using the software under virtualbox. 

Thank you so much.

#9 2014-09-23 20:13:28

HiImTye

I'm glad it helped big_smile

Board footer