You are not logged in.

#1 2014-09-24 03:26:21

barefly

[Solved] Problem reconnecting to wifi after changing MAC address

Im currently testing out some mac address spoofing with macchanger and am running into a problem reconnecting to my wifi after spoofing a new address.

My current steps right now are to bring down wlan0.

ip link set dev wlan0 down

Followed by running macchanger with the -e option.

macchanger -e wlan0

Then bringing back up wlan0.

ip link set dev wlan0 up

At this point netctl does not connect to my wifi network anymore. I have tried netctl start mynetwork, and it says my that the service is currently running. Which it should since it's an automatic connection. After which I run netctl stop mynetwork, and try to start it again. It gives me the same error again.

After this occurs I have reverted back to my old mac address with macchanger -p, and usually after 30 seconds my connection is restored automatically. Im not sure what the problem is but I could use some help trying to figure out why I can't reconnect to the wifi after I change the mac address.

EDIT: Managed to get around this by installing NetworkManager, starting it, then using nmcli to connect directly to the access point. It's not exactly the fix I was looking for but if it works I can't really say im bothered. Although if anyone has a solution that doesn't involve nmcli or networkmanager im all ears.

Last edited by barefly (2014-09-24 03:57:37)

Board footer