You are not logged in.

#1 2006-02-13 03:02:42

RobK

Starting udev 084 Daemon is Much Slower at Boot up.

I just upgraded to udev 084.  AT bootup, it is taking much longer to start the udev daemon.  Is anyone else experiencing this?

Rob

#2 2006-02-13 03:15:56

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: Starting udev 084 Daemon is Much Slower at Boot up.

Rob, that's because Udev does module auto-loading now.  You'll notice that the "Loading Modules" section goes by much quicker.

#3 2006-02-13 05:09:20

Gullible Jones

True, but it takes about 3 seconds for udevd to start and modprobe everything, while start_udev continues and does nothing for another 5 or 6 seconds. This is a pretty small problem, but I've filed a bug on it anyway. My guess is that it's an upstream issue...

#4 2006-02-13 13:25:17

RobK

Thanks for the reply.  Yes, I noticed that the modules section goes by much faster now. 

I also forgot to remove the OSS compatibility section in modprobe.conf.  My soundcard still worked but one could see errors in the log.  Once I removed the OSS compatibility section in modprobe.conf, things went much faster in the "starting udev Daemon" section.

I suspect that the udev folks have put in another sleep delay to allow for all the modules to be properly loaded and to give some time for all the udev rules to work so that the /dev directory can be properly populated. 

I understand that some folks were complaining on the udev / hotplug mailing list that not all of their devices were showing up.

But I have noticed that the module autoload routine at the "starting udev daemon" stage does not do as good a job at identifying the modules to be autoloaded.  I had to add to the MODULES section of rc.conf one module -- parport_pc -- so that printing would work again.  Before the upgrade, parport_pc was autoloaded.  Not anymore.

Rob

#5 2006-02-13 15:59:12

Gullible Jones

The parallel port stuff autoloads fine here. :?

#6 2006-02-13 16:40:28

tpowa
Developer

parport loads here fine too, do you have an old modprobe.conf with parport entries?

#7 2006-02-13 20:04:14

RobK

On my box, I need three modules for printing, lp, parport and parport_pc.

The autoload loads lp and parport.  But for some reason after the upgrade, the autoload routine stopped loading parport_pc.

Yes, I still have an entry for parport_pc in my modprobe.conf file.  During the upgrade there was no mention of removing it.  The only note was on removing the OSS compatibility modules.

I will try removing the parport_pc entry in modprobe.conf and in the modules section of rc.conf and see it the autoloading of parport_pc works again.

I will let you know.

Rob

#8 2006-02-13 22:30:12

RobK

In my /etc/modprobe.conf file, there was the folloiwng line:

# Load lp support with parport_pc
install parport_pc modprobe -i parport_pc ; modprobe lp ; true

I believe that this line was in the original /etc/modprobe.conf file that came with arch 0.7.  I don't remember ever adding it.

I commented out this line and I removed "parport_pc" from the list of MODULES to be loaded in /etc/rc.conf.

I rebooted and it worked.  The modules lp, parport and parport_pc were all autoloaded at boot-up. 

I should also note that right after the arch upgrade, I was experiencing CUPS daemon failure once and awhile at boot up.  Somtimes cupsd loaded and sometimes it failed at boot up.  Now it seems that cupsd loads reliably at every bootup.  Problem solved!

The following are the remaining lines in my /etc/modprobe.conf:

# Load ppp-generic with modem drivers
install Intel536 modprobe -i Intel536 ; modprobe ppp-generic ; true
install Intel537 modprobe -i Intel537 ; modprobe ppp-generic ; true
install ltmodem modprobe -i ltmodem ; modprobe ppp-generic ; true
install ltserial modprobe -i ltserial ; modprobe ppp-generic ; true
install slamr modprobe -i slamr ; modprobe ppp-generic ; true
install slusb modprobe -i slusb ; modprobe ppp-generic ; true

# OSS Compatibility
#install snd-pcm modprobe -i snd-pcm ; modprobe snd-pcm-oss ; true
#install snd-seq modprobe -i snd-seq ; modprobe snd-seq-oss ; true

# --- BEGIN: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
# --- ALSACONF version 1.0.10 ---
alias snd-card-0 snd-opl3sa2
alias sound-slot-0 snd-opl3sa2
options snd-opl3sa2 fm_port=-1 midi_port=-1 port=0x538 wss_port=0x530
options isapnp=0 dma1=1 dma2=0 irq=5
# --- END: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---

The modem driver lines came with the original /etc/modprobe.conf file in arch 0.7. 
Should I also comment them all out?

Perhaps I should only have the lines for my old ISA sound card in the /etc/modprobe.conf file.  Please let me know.

Has there been a change in the kernel or udev which makes it neccesary to make all these changes in the /etc/modprobe.conf file?

Rob

Board footer