You are not logged in.

#1 2014-09-27 17:17:41

katsy

Unsuccessful booting after installation(start pxe over ipv4)

Hi everyone,
I installed arch following beginner’s guide but I found that I can’t log in, after installation and reboot, it appears "Start pxe over ipv4" on the screen (I installed several times, but it continues). I checked the BIOS booting preference and its set correctly.
Then, I tried to install other distro like debian and it has no problem to log in.
If anyone can help me to solve this problem, I will really appreciate it.

Some additional information:
UEFI System, only linux. GRUB boot loader

Last edited by katsy (2014-09-27 19:00:22)

#2 2014-09-27 17:27:52

ewaller
Administrator

Re: Unsuccessful booting after installation(start pxe over ipv4)

Welcome to Arch Linux

It sounds like your system is not finding a bootable disk.  The PXE environment is your system trying to find something on the network to boot since it did not find a bootable hard disk.

Is your system a BIOS or EFI system?  I know you said you checked the BIOS settings, but I find that people often misuse the term BIOS.  Which boot loader did you install?   Is this a dual boot system?  Did you install Arch first?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2014-09-27 17:44:49

katsy

ewaller wrote:

Welcome to Arch Linux

It sounds like your system is not finding a bootable disk.  The PXE environment is your system trying to find something on the network to boot since it did not find a bootable hard disk.

Is your system a BIOS or EFI system?  I know you said you checked the BIOS settings, but I find that people often misuse the term BIOS.  Which boot loader did you install?   Is this a dual boot system?  Did you install Arch first?

Hi ewaller,
My system is an EFI system (UEFI?) and it has only linux. I installed GRUB boot loader.
I did sgdisk --zap-all /dev/sda before installation to erase all data and then I did 3 partitions, the first one for root, another for home and the last one for EFI.
I tried to make partitions with Gparted but I got the same result.

Last edited by katsy (2014-09-27 17:47:47)

#4 2014-09-27 18:10:51

ewaller
Administrator

Sadly, I have never installed a UEFI system.  In case you did not see it, you need to follow this

I fear you may not have set your drive up as a GPT drive.  I assert that as you say you used gparted.  I believe that program only knows MBR formats.
Also, one of those partitions must be VFAT32 to be used as /boot.  Another thing you need to know is whether or not secureboot is enabled.

Aside from that, I am going to differ to someone who has an EFI system.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#5 2014-09-27 18:36:11

katsy

ewaller wrote:

Sadly, I have never installed a UEFI system.  In case you did not see it, you need to follow this

I fear you may not have set your drive up as a GPT drive.  I assert that as you say you used gparted.  I believe that program only knows MBR formats.
Also, one of those partitions must be VFAT32 to be used as /boot.  Another thing you need to know is whether or not secureboot is enabled.

Aside from that, I am going to differ to someone who has an EFI system.

Secureboot is inactivated, Also, I tried to make partition table (GPT) with parted according to "If cgdisk cannot change your disk to GPT, parted can." but I still have the same problem.
I think I did partitions with the correct format, two in ext4 and one in FAT32. I used the following command line:

# mkfs.ext4 /dev/sda1
# mkfs.ext4 /dev/sda2
# mkfs.fat -F32 /dev/sda3

I installed arch month ago and I didn’t have any problem, the only difference between this time and the last one is that this time I erased data with # sgdisk --zap-all /dev/sda.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by katsy (2014-09-27 18:59:49)

Board footer